September Security Update Long Install Time

johnts

Aug 27, 2013
Visit site
I ran the update process for my P7 update yesterday. It ran for over 3 hours. Even big Windows updates don't take this long.
The old Blackberry system was slow to update but at worst it took a half hour. My previous phone, LG G7, would complete all updates in less than 5 minutes, Google's process needs to be seriously rethought. I can't waoit to see how long Android 14 takes to run!

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
I'm not sure why updates are taking so long to install and optimize these days, but one thing to keep in mind is that this is all taking place in the background, and you can still use the phone normally throughout all of this. Once the optimization is complete and the phone is ready to restart, the restart process should be as quick as it usually is, and then you'll be all set. This is in contrast to Samsung (which still does not do seamless updates), where you have to wait for maybe 10 minutes or more after the restart before the phone is usable again.

Reactions: J Dubbs

sicario666

Dec 27, 2009
Visit site
I've come across the update pausing. The update screen says it'll resume when the device is not being used. Maybe it depends on what I'm doing when it pauses.

Reactions: B. Diddy

Scott337

Apr 22, 2017
Visit site
It's all part of the A/B Partition System Google started using a few years ago. The update size does not matter.

• OTA updates can occur while the system is running, without interrupting the user. Users can continue to use their devices during an OTA—the only downtime during an update is when the device reboots into the updated disk partition.

Reactions: J Dubbs

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
I've come across the update pausing. The update screen says it'll resume when the device is not being used. Maybe it depends on what I'm doing when it pauses.
Oh yeah, that happens EVERY time for me right after the update is initiated, and I have to tap Resume. It's been like that for a long time -- I should submit feedback to Google and tell them to fix that.

Reactions: J Dubbs and Aredubu

sicario666

Dec 27, 2009
Visit site
Oh yeah, that happens EVERY time for me right after the update is initiated, and I have to tap Resume. It's been like that for a long time -- I should submit feedback to Google and tell them to fix that.
That would be good. I just put my phone down when the update starts downloading and when it's installing.

johnts

Aug 27, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for all the info on the process. I thought for sure I had a bricked phone. It still needs to be streamlined so it doesn't take so long. If Microsoft can do it with Windows, Google should be able to do it.

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mrjhe29