Samsung Galaxy S3 frozen on start screen... HELP PLEASE!

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
Re: Samsung galaxy S3 frozen on start screen... HELP PLEASE!

pawsaddiction,
MST here.

Disabling the Google Play Store (if that's all you disabled) shouldn't be the cause of your problem, but I wouldn't recommend doing it (another topic for a different thread).

Installing Kies with the 'refurbished' phone attached won't be a problem; in fact, it's actually a good thing since we'll make sure all of the drivers get installed properly before attaching the 'original' phone.

Based on emmietee's response I don't have high hopes for Kies, but I'd certainly try it anyway.

Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM 10.2 using Tapatalk 4

pawsaddiction

Dec 19, 2013
Visit site

Cool I will give kies a try. Glad to know I can use the refurbed phone for internet access.

Google play was the big thing I disabled. Also disabled Amazon Kindle and other 3rd party apps. Nothing Samsung related or os type services.

Thank you GSDer! I'll post back with results. (May not be til later this afternoon.)

pawsaddiction

Dec 19, 2013
Visit site

Test

Do I need to update the refurbed S3 prior to connecting to the laptop? Thanks!

Last edited:

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site

Do I need to update the refurbed S3 prior to connecting to the laptop?
No, if it's working well enough to provide you with Internet access that's all we really care about. You can use it as a guinea pig to see what Kies looks like; what it shows for current firmware version; etc.

Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM 10.2 using Tapatalk 4

BryanG1

Nov 13, 2013
Visit site

In terms of trying to save pictures from being deleted, would odin be a safer bet than kies?

Louwrens Brits

Jan 3, 2014
Visit site

Hi guys
Also have the problem were my S3 just stuck at the start up screen.
Reading the comments i got it to start up in recovery mode. - were i get the following options:

reboot system now
apply update from ADB
apply update from external storage
wipe data/factory reset
wipe cache partition
apply update from cache

Below these options i get the following "script"

E:Failed to mount /data (invalid argument)
cant mount '/data' (invalid argument)
E:failed to mount /efs (invalid argument)
E:failed to mount /efs (invalid argument)
*all of the above text is in red - the next text is in yellow*

# MANUAL MODE#
--Appling Multi-CSC...
Applied the CSC-code : unknown
Successfully applied multi-CSC
*now its red text again*
cant mount '/data' (invalid argument)

In suggestions made earlier in the post - i wipe the cache - and then choose reboot now.
but as soon as it starts back up - all i see the the startup screen.

Im about to download KIES and try to do a firmware update - but thought ill post this as the errors appearing might mean something to someone?
Help wold be much appreciated

Jan 6, 2014
Visit site

I'm having the same problem. S3 won't go past Samsung flashing logo. A few days ago it wouldn't go past Splash screen. It wouldn't go into Recovery mode either, but would go into Download Mode. I installed Kies update, and everything appeared to work after that, except whatsapp, which I could no longer use. This was 3 days ago. Today I woke up to my phone just flashing the Samsung logo. Have tried clearing cache in Recovery Mode, with no result. Tried doing the whole Kies thing again. But ended up with the same problem. When trying to reboot, it just remains on the Samsung flashing screen. Samsung USA won't help because they say the phone's IMEI shows its from Hong Kong, so they can't help. What do I do?

Mahmut Uzun

Jan 8, 2014
Visit site

I had the same problem and I solved it now. I found the original firmware at Firmwares | SamMobile and download it. I flash the file which I downloaded, by odin3 (you can easily find, just google it). I didn't swipe cashes or data before flash the firmware file. Now, my phone is not freezing and works excellent. Also I didn't loose any file and any installed application. Even the shortcuts on homescreen are still on the same place.
The only thing, phone becomes unrooted. You shold reroot it if you need.

Alexei Dubitskiy

Jan 25, 2014
Visit site

i was tupdating the phone and in the morning when i woke up i think the phone was rebooting and i switched it off, now it just stays on the samsung home screen, can someone help me out?

Stephen_Challis

Jan 25, 2014
Visit site

Many thanks, meyerweb. I had tried a hard reset several times and it had not worked, but no other post (and there are a lot about how to do a hard reset) mentioned about not holding the buttons down too long. When I released them AS SOON as the splash screen appeared, the Android screen appeared (after about 10 seconds) and I was able to do a reboot. The phone is now working again. I was about to give up and return it to Amazon (I've only had it a month), so again - many thanks for this top tip!

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site

can someone help me out?
If you can boot into Recovery mode you can try clearing the system cache.

If you can't get into Recovery mode, or if that doesn't work, then see if you can boot into Download mode. If so, we'll need the model number/carrier/region in order to find the correct firmware to reload.

Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM -0.001 using Tapatalk Pro

arienrhod

Feb 1, 2014
Visit site

I just tried to factory reset my phone, totally forgetting my phone was encrypted. It failed; however, when I try to turn on my phone, it freezes at that at&t sphere symbol. I erased cache, too, but I did that the second time I falsely tried to factory reset it. I tried to factory reset it using the hard method? The one where you have to hold the power button and volume up button.

I can't access my google accounts to try and wipe it (hopefully) because I had a 2 step verification on it. I contacted them and hopefully I hear from them soon.

My model is SGH-1747.
My carrier is AT&T.
I live in California, USA.

Last edited:

nukvar

Feb 6, 2014
Visit site

Hello, this looks like a great forum.
I've discovered it earlier this morning due to a problem I'm facing I can not manage to resolve. I really hope I could get some help here.
I have Galaxy S3, on Tim in italy.
It have asked to upgrade this morning which unfortunately “agreed” to while still half a sleep (so I also don't remember what kind of upgrade was it)
My S3 was never rooted. Battery is ok. It was plugged when it happened. Maybe therewas some lack of space.
I didn't backup all my data before this happened.
The S3 starts but the screen freezes on the blue logo and do not go further.
I have tried most of the things you've suggested here.
Download mode, recovery mode. wiping cash. I couldn't get it done back. It's still freezes there.
Then I just accepted I'm going to loose the data and also decided to clear the cash and whatever I have there and do the factory reset. Yet still Nothing! The same freeze on the first blue samsung logo.

Also I have downloaded Samsung Keys but it will not connect. (it says this device is not supported... still it's only on the blue led with the white/blue Samsung logo. I also couldn't find Italy on the sammobile website)

I've Lost my day on this already but hoped it'll work somehow.
Desperate now.
Any suggesting here will be very much appreciated.

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site

nukvar

Feb 6, 2014
Visit site

GSDer, thank you so much for this short and valuable comment!
The sun is shining again! Did it and resolved the issue (well, partially as I was way too hasty and impassioned and wiped out my non backed up material before posting here and reading you. But I've learned my lesson too). Live long and prosper.

nukvar,

This is the 4.3 firmware (what you probably updated to) for TIM Samsung Updates - Firmware Download Page

If the phone will boot into Download mode you can install it using a tool called Odin on your Windows-based computer.

Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM -0.001 using Tapatalk Pro

snatr

Mar 18, 2012
Visit site

I didn't really see to many saying they got there issue resolved here so I thought I'd throw a kudos out to GSDer at least. I believe he was the first to mention possibly needing to use Kies to update firmware.
My daughter's phone was getting stuck at the Samsung logo. A dealer had already tried a factory reset, but it still seemed to be hanging there. I ended up doing the firmware update with Kies (which didn't go all that smoothly I might add), and it did the trick. I want to mention though that when I first got the update done that it once again seemed stuck at the logo. Whether or not I should have gave it more time or not I don't know, but I ended up booting into the recovery screen again and doing a factory reset once more and then a reboot from there. After that I gave it a bit more time because I actually heard it boot up this time. Either way it was up and running again. Thanks all :D

Mickybhoy

Feb 8, 2014
Visit site

Hi,

My phone is stuck on the start screen. Have tried Kies however after downloading 85% it stopped. Tried this numerous times and the same happens. Taken to a Samsung repair centre and they have said my phone has custom software on it so they cannot repair under warranty. My phone is on contract Orange and has the original software, I wouldn't have a clue how to put anything else on it. Basically Orange and Samsung are not interested and I'm stuck with a phone that doesn't work and the remainder of a contract to pay for.

Frustrated frustrated frustrated. :(

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site

Have tried Kies however after downloading 85% it stopped.
Is the point at which it stops while Kies is downloading the firmware from the Internet, or when it's trying to download the firmware to the phone?

What firmware did you have on the phone before this problem started? 4.3?

Did anything notable occur around the time the problem started?

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alexpall