Just got the phone, went swimming, does NOT work

robertopod1968

Jan 1, 2012
Visit site
I'm camping at a lake this weekend. Took some underwater pictures and videos of the kids yesterday. Worked awesome! And loved the out of water pics as well. Love this phone!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

spyre

Mar 29, 2011
Visit site
My buddy just got the Active a few days ago to replace his iphone 5 with a Lifeproof case. Testing it just like everyone else wants to do side by side with the iphone he went to a pool, and tried to take a pic a few inches under the surface. The case was all properly pushed down. Goes to take the pic and the phone dies. Water damage. It would eventually turn on (after 6 hours in rice) but it would not charge and would not work. He took it to a local phone repair shop who we've used for 10+ years and they checked it out. One of the water sensors had triggered by the battery. In an effort to just get it replaced he switched the sensor sticker with one of the display models at the store and then returned it. He followed up with the people in the att store and they had no idea what to do with the phones and potential water damage.

The phone had been ok in the shower a couple times as well, though the headphone jack freaks out and the phone keeps switching back and forth thinking that there is a headset plugged in and asking if you would like to try out headphone apps. Did this for a while after until it would finally dry fully out.

Does anyone else who still has one have the warranty statement they could upload/read and see what samsung warranties against? I feel like if they are marketing this as waterproof with the auqa mode and everything then they should be repair/replacing those that become damaged within their 3 foot/30min guidelines. I was about to switch from tmobile to ATT just for this phone during the half off sale the last few days but the dying phones has me stopped. If anyone can confirm if they have called into Samsung to get it dealt with that would be good to know.

The other grip with it is since there isn't a simple latching or screw down for the back to hold it in place....if you were to say drop the phone into the sink or toilet or something it would seem that chances are good the back could be jarred slightly loose from the impact and prevent the little rubber seal from sealing. Tough situation to decide what to do. Too bad lifeproof doesn't make a case for a normal gs4 or htc one.

cardinalryan

May 1, 2013
Visit site
Just got the phone, went swimming took some pictures while I was in the pool, water splashed on the phone, never was the phone submerged, now it will not work, took off the cover , water everywhere.. This is being returned immediately,
Phone is NOT waterproof at all.
I seriously have to ask you geniuses if you know the difference between water RESISTANT and waterPROOF? Samsung claims that the phone is water resistant, not waterproof.

anon(220176)

Mar 12, 2011
Visit site
I seriously have to ask you geniuses if you know the difference between water RESISTANT and waterPROOF? Samsung claims that the phone is water resistant, not waterproof.

I thought they did advertise it as WATERPROOF because the phone can be SUBMERGED under water, up to 1 meter? Otherwise, what is the purpose of the camera's "Aqua" mode?

Granted, this phone is not used for diving or snorkeling, but it is capable as a waterproof device, not water resistant.

trandz

Feb 19, 2013
Visit site
Isnt it a little redundant that the phone is advertised as being "beach proof" has a special camera mode for it being UNDER water, but it breaks if the phone goes underwater...What the feck!

Its like I buy a wool pancho for the rain thats advertised to be used in the rain but when used in the rain it gets ruined. -___-

- - - Updated - - -

Isnt it a little redundant that the phone is advertised as being "beach proof" has a special camera mode for it being UNDER water, but it breaks if the phone goes underwater...What the feck!

Its like I buy a wool pancho for the rain thats advertised to be used in the rain but when used in the rain it gets ruined. -___-

anon(220176)

Mar 12, 2011
Visit site
That is not the definition of waterproof. Even the warranty states not to get the device wet.

TEMPORARY immersion... Hows that? Thats the definition of IP67.

At the end...the phone will NEED to be waterproof because of the rating...no matter how short it woukd be.

paulhead

Feb 25, 2012
Visit site
This youtube review actually clarifies some things regarding the actives waterproofing and the battery hatch. Lifelike version of Tony Stark doing the review... :)

thanx, video gave me a little hope. I ordered one online without doing much homework. It's obvious the phone ain't a Kodak Playsport Zx5 (which I have and works great) but the fact the phone is minutely ruggeder makes me feel better. Haven't read much mention of the Gorilla glass.

AngelArs

Nov 13, 2011
Visit site
Welcome to the wonderful world of samsung marketing.

return_0

Sep 16, 2012
Visit site

Except... it doesn't break in the water.

Sent from my pure Google Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums

TheRealCBONE

May 11, 2013
Visit site
Mine had a leak somewhere other than the back cover. Poor mating of the front/side parts i'm guessing. It only had water inside the area that is supposed to be protected by the gasket and water trails behind the screen. Not sure if I'll get an active again or if I'll just go for a different phone with a waterproof case I can test the seal on.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2

Timback

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
I tried telling some of you guys that this phone does not live up to what its advertised to do, water resistant , water proof, a play with words, all we care is that the phone perform exactly how they are marketing it.
Its better to get the S4 and get a waterproof case, FYI, my local ATT store sold 14 Actives since launch, 9 have been returned for water damage.
Samsung should immediately recall this phone before they ruin their reputation.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
I tried telling some of you guys that this phone does not live up to what its advertised to do, water resistant , water proof, a play with words, all we care is that the phone perform exactly how they are marketing it.
Its better to get the S4 and get a waterproof case, FYI, my local ATT store sold 14 Actives since launch, 9 have been returned for water damage.
Samsung should immediately recall this phone before they ruin their reputation.

Wow that's pretty crappy...

Sent from my Sprint HTC One using AC forums.

anon(52425)

Aug 28, 2010
Visit site
Just got the phone, went swimming took some pictures while I was in the pool, water splashed on the phone, never was the phone submerged, now it will not work, took off the cover , water everywhere.. This is being returned immediately,
Phone is NOT waterproof at all.

Granted I did not go swimming with mine, I did throw it in the pool. Mine sat at the bottom of my pool for about 30 seconds before being pulled out. Works fine. Sorry about your problems. Hopefully just a defective one.

trandz

Feb 19, 2013
Visit site
Im scared to even put it under my running sink. Who knows if the seal is closed when pressing just above the ATT logo. There is no definitive click or anything and when I press down on it while the phone is on a flat surface the back cover kind of goes down and then raises a little.

epicness4G

Mar 21, 2012
Visit site
KEYWORDS:
Its a phone
It has "GLASS"
It had open port holes
It will break.
Stop falling for marketing BS.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk 2

trandz

Feb 19, 2013
Visit site
Right. However if you market something and it breaks because of the customer doing what the device is marketed as a capable feature the customer shouldn't have to be sol on his product.

If a phone is marketed towards being able to sit in water then it should.

Posted via Android Central App

AngelArs

Nov 13, 2011
Visit site
KEYWORDS:
Its a phone
It has "GLASS"
It had open port holes
It will break.
Stop falling for marketing BS.
But.... but.... but...

LOL

If a phone is marketed towards being able to sit in water then it should.
You're absolutely right, but samsung will just point to how it states in their warranty to keep the phone away from liquids. Which is why there are forums like this where you can voice your unhappiness, and organizations like the BBB. Bottom line; see above.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dumpsterrentals38