Buying unlocked SGS4 Mini in USA?

argold

Jul 17, 2013
Visit site
Is it possible to buy a warrantied and supported unlocked SGS4 Mini in the USA? I see sellers of the GT-I9195 on Ebay with unlocked phones that say no manufacturer's warranty and I assume also no-one to upgrade the Android from time to time. My phone is the Google edition of the SGS4 which is an ideal kind of offering, but wifey says that device is too big for her. Any suggestions? In Europe I know I see that I could get one from Carphone Warehouse. Is there anywhere like that over here? Would Best Buy or Costco sell such a configuration with Samsung support?

ShazPrimus

Dec 15, 2013
Visit site
Could you not get it unlocked from Amazon? That's where i bought my old mini from with that exact version in the UK

Posted via Android Central App

argold

Jul 17, 2013
Visit site
No, not FROM Amazon but yes THROUGH Amazon - from one of their Marketplace dealers. But I see no reason to think those phones are any less orphans than are the Ebay ones. Did you ever get an Android update for the old mini that you bought?

ShazPrimus

Dec 15, 2013
Visit site
No, not FROM Amazon but yes THROUGH Amazon - from one of their Marketplace dealers. But I see no reason to think those phones are any less orphans than are the Ebay ones. Did you ever get an Android update for the old mini that you bought?

I see... I saw two updates...the first was for stability and the second one i got about a month ago before switching to Nexus and it was pushed about the time that 4.3 was starting it's rounds but after i updated it still said i was on 4.2.2 and i can't be sure but my phone began to become more prone to freezing/lock ups to the point where i had to hard reset ever since. So i waved bye to it since i started to become attracted to the nexus. But i must warn that i rarely read about updates for the mini version... Only ever the S4 and even the S3 which kind of ticked me off.

ShazPrimus

Dec 15, 2013
Visit site
Also i have nothing against second hand phone but i like new or if I'm buying from a market seller i usually try to buy from same country as me or even at a push maybe a seller from the EU but I'm to untrusting to buy from outside EU unless it is non electrical goods

mdawdy

Dec 11, 2013
Visit site
... about the time that 4.3 was starting it's rounds but after i updated it still said i was on 4.2.2 and i can't be sure but my phone began to become more prone to freezing/lock ups to the point where i had to hard reset ever since. So i waved bye to it since i started to become attracted to the nexus. But i must warn that i rarely read about updates for the mini version... Only ever the S4 and even the S3 which kind of ticked me off ...

I heard on another forum that there were many problems with the release of 4.3, and that they were waiting for these to be resolved before releasing it for the S4 mini. The forum member had spoken with a person at Samsung. I expect that this was a reliable report as opposed to the usual rumours.

ShazPrimus

Dec 15, 2013
Visit site
I heard on another forum that there were many problems with the release of 4.3, and that they were waiting for these to be resolved before releasing it for the S4 mini. The forum member had spoken with a person at Samsung. I expect that this was a reliable report as opposed to the usual rumours.

I read something like that too when doing my nightly bedtime surfing (lol) it's good that they pulled it back but I'm still baffled by the updated leading it to stay on 4.2.2 but tbh even before that happen the phone was a tad too slow for me and I had issues with the headphone socket making the phone freeze which is a huge negative for me since I LOVE to use my phone for music ever since signing up for Google Play Music... and since people mention that Samsungs interface can be a lag fest it just caused me to go for the Nexus as it runs faster/cheaper/and regular updates.

Ever since moving to Android from BB I now see myself craving updates more often than not now...it's the crazy OCD or summit in me lol

ShazPrimus

Dec 15, 2013
Visit site
p.s hope it dont seem like I'm bashing the choice, just stating my experience with the phone..in theory I should of went with the S4 but I was too used to small screen at the time and didnt want a brick of a phone to hold at the time of purchase

jdbii

Jan 31, 2013
Visit site
Would Best Buy or Costco sell such a configuration with Samsung support?

I was in Best Buy a couple weeks ago and they had a Samsung mini store (or it looked like one) with Samsung reps and they were selling the GS4 mini but I don't know if it was unlocked or off contact.

argold

Jul 17, 2013
Visit site
Thanks and yes Best Buy can get the GT-I9190 for around $500 and theirs is both unlocked and with a Samsung USA warranty. It's a possibility, but I am first chasing one of their Marketplace sellers who is offering the GT-I9195 and which I would prefer because that model also supports LTE.

jdbii

Jan 31, 2013
Visit site
Thanks and yes Best Buy can get the GT-I9190 for around $500 and theirs is both unlocked and with a Samsung USA warranty. It's a possibility, but I am first chasing one of their Marketplace sellers who is offering the GT-I9195 and which I would prefer because that model also supports LTE.

I'm seeing the i9195 LTE being sold on Negri Electronics for $368.

argold

Jul 17, 2013
Visit site
I've placed an order with Expansys at $357.98 ($349.99 plus $7.99 shipping). Their support was most helpful and explained that the GT-I9195 devices they sell are sourced by their UK branch and so would be supported by Samsung UK. Because I often travel there and because Samsung's Eu Bloc Warranty for smartphones is 24 months parts and labor I can live with this arrangement.

oldDummy

Dec 10, 2013
Visit site
Wife uses the i9192 which is the Duos/dual sim card.
Right size. Had some battery issues initially but has settled down now.
It runs 4.2.2 which I have no problem with as long as it continues to run well.
The Duos is made for South America, I believe, so don't know about updates.
Tried to contact USA support and they didn't want to know anything about it.
Bottom line: understand your concern and agree if you can buy domestically, do it.

argold

Jul 17, 2013
Visit site
I read a lot of complaints in the Amazon buyer reviews about the grey market GT-I9192. Seems that some (all?) come unlocked only as far as the provider/network but they do have some type of Regional lock that I'd not heard of before. So they accept SIM cards from providers in the Americas (North, Central and South American and Caribbean countries) but they will not accept cards from European networks. Ouch! See: Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Samsung Galaxy S4 Mini GT-I9192 GSM Unlocked Dual Sim - White

oldDummy

Dec 10, 2013
Visit site
Bought on ebay from a merchant based in Singapore.
When informed of initial battery problems he stepped up and offered replacement/refund whichever I wanted with him paying the freight.
The phone has since calmed down and didn't have to take him up on it.
But it is a bit disquieting dealing with a merchant so far away.
Would prefer to have local support.

Puzzlegal

Jul 19, 2011
Visit site
Sprint sells a mini, but it is a custom version for Sprint, and didn't support European data frequencies.

Sent from my XT1056 using Tapatalk

Puzzlegal

Jul 19, 2011
Visit site
Sprint sells a mini, but it is a custom version for Sprint, and didn't support European data frequencies.

I planned to buy this until I learned it wouldn't work out of the US. I ended up with a Moto X, because it was also small enough for me.

r007

1337 Member
May 23, 2011
Visit site
It's a possibility, but I am first chasing one of their Marketplace sellers who is offering the GT-I9195 and which I would prefer because that model also supports LTE.

I don't think the I9195 supports the LTE bands used in the US. It supports LTE Band 3 (1,800MHz), Band 7 (2,600MHz), Band 8 (900MHz), Band 20 (800MHz)

ATT and TMobile are 4 and 17 (I think), so you wouldn't get LTE in the US. (Though you would if you went to Europe...)

I only get HSPA+ on ATT.