Rooted Verizon S4 but cannot install custom ROMS

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site
It looks like you still have the stock recovery, which won't flash a custom ROM. Also, if I'm not mistaken, you need to unlock the bootloader. I'm not familiar with the S4 rooting/hacking. Root is the first step to installing custom ROMs.

Thaxboyd

Apr 3, 2011
Visit site
It looks like you still have the stock recovery, which won't flash a custom ROM. Also, if I'm not mistaken, you need to unlock the bootloader. I'm not familiar with the S4 rooting/hacking. Root is the first step to installing custom ROMs.

My head hurts from reading all the different root methods and all the bootloader unlock stuff, one site will say you can't the next site says you can, can someone send me links to any info for unlocking the bootloader and whatever needs to be done to install custom ROMS. This phone has lost it's Wifi ability, I cannot turn it on at all, I am hoping that flashing a new ROM will fix this.

Goofypook

Oct 28, 2010
Visit site
If you are on the MJ7 build you can not add a custom recovery which in turn means you can not Flash a custom Rom... This latest build has LOCKED the phone down and there isnt a work around or Safestrap yet. You can root however to get rid a of Bloatware, free tether, etc.

Thaxboyd

Apr 3, 2011
Visit site
Ah ha, that makes sense, I do have MJ7. Do you have any idea how to get the Wifi working again? I lost it in a failed root attempt :banghead:

Sent from my SCH-I605 using AC Forums mobile app

Goofypook

Oct 28, 2010
Visit site
Ah ha, that makes sense, I do have MJ7. Do you have any idea how to get the Wifi working again? I lost it in a failed root attempt :banghead:

Sent from my SCH-I605 using AC Forums mobile app

If you go over to XDA there is a forum on it which shows you how to do it. Its real easy and works great! Sorry for the late post

Khoa Truong

Jan 16, 2014
Visit site
I have the same problem when trying to install Philz_touch recovery latest version both with Odin and sd card, mine is a Verizon s4 rooted 4.3 MK2. anyone know why and is there a solution?
Please help! BIG THANKS!