Why Upgrade from the S3?

rong21

Aug 8, 2012
Visit site
Why would I want to upgrade to the S4 from my S3? I can't see anything here on this S4 forum that would make me want to.

Am I missing something other than the new factor?

etbooker

Nov 3, 2012
Visit site
Maybe the 5 inch 1080p display? Or the supposed 8-core processor? Or the gesture navigation?

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Android Central Forums

MikeLip

Jul 18, 2011
Visit site
I had the 5" display in the DNA. It's not that much bigger than the S3. The faster processor would be a good thing. I am asking myself the same questions the OP is! :) Right now I want to buy it because it's the next bright and shiny toy. I don't have any other valid reason. I don't actually *need* another reason, but there it is.

etbooker

Nov 3, 2012
Visit site
I'm probably going to go with the Galaxy Note 3 because the screen size just can't be matched by any other smartphone except for the Optimus G Pro but then again that was just another copy off of Samsung.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Android Central Forums

dlinares90

Nov 2, 2012
Visit site
Going by the recent rumors and leaks, it will be an incremental upgrade from the S3 at best. I'll admit the wireless charging, 1080p display and a few other features sounds pretty cool. But, in my opinion, it's not a radical innovation (especially when you have the S3). With that being said, if money wasn't a factor and I easily had the $600+ to buy the S4 out-of-contract I would do so in a heartbeat.

rong21

Aug 8, 2012
Visit site
I've had the S3 since August, rooted it, etc etc. I upgraded from a Window Phone 7 so it was a pretty dramatic upgrade.

I'll wait for next year since I'm happy with my S3.......for now

pseudoware

Feb 15, 2011
Visit site
I've said I'll pass prior to other releases, only to later succumb to the device-whore in me. I just impulsively bought another phone off-contract last week, so I don't know wtf I'm gonna do.
Sent from my RM-820_nam_att_100 using Board Express

ibcop

Trusted Member
Mar 9, 2011
Visit site
Because it's new. Better camera (I do take pics with my S3), better display, better battery management (supposedly), and the home button is gone (supposedly).

I'm sure more reasons will come on Thursday.

Plus it's always a great day when you crack open a box to a new device. :D

rong21

Aug 8, 2012
Visit site
My only reason would be because it's a shiny new device, something new to play with. Home button doesn't bother me and right now my S3 combined with my Nexus 7 tablet do everything I need.

ibcop

Trusted Member
Mar 9, 2011
Visit site
My only reason would be because it's a shiny new device, something new to play with. Home button doesn't bother me and right now my S3 combined with my Nexus 7 tablet do everything I need.

Then you have no reason to upgrade. :)

skoolboi

May 28, 2012
Visit site
I've said I'll pass prior to other releases, only to later succumb to the device-whore in me. I just impulsively bought another phone off-contract last week, so I don't know wtf I'm gonna do.
Sent from my RM-820_nam_att_100 using Board Express
lol....lol..lol... I swear this sounds exactly like me... I plan on passing on the HTC ONE and the SIV...so far anyway....

Overstew

Apr 17, 2011
Visit site
For me, it'd be to have hopefully a radio that can support Sprints upcoming MHz bands. Also, battery life is a slight inconvenience on the gs3 stock battery. Other than that, I'm pretty happy with what I have and will probably end up holding out on whats coming later this year.

MrSlippery519

Oct 11, 2011
Visit site
For me I see no glaring reasons to upgrade from the S3 to the S4 unless you could get one for a great price. I have had the S3 since launch and love it so far, absolutely no question the S4 based on the current details is bigger and better in many ways however that said the S3 will still be one of the best phones on the market.

I do not need a 1080p display for anything (though would like it lol) same with the camera while a big upgrade I have a Panasonic SLR for taking "good" pictures and the S3 does fine for the day to day stuff.

Again the above is just my opinion...however if I get the chance to upgrade (my S3 is a work phone) with my company best believe I will.

rong21

Aug 8, 2012
Visit site
I would upgrade if there was a sale but I won't pay full price for it when I have an S3. Now if I was upgrading from a Window Phone 7 like I did when I upgraded to the S3 hands down no question

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Why would I want to upgrade to the S4 from my S3? I can't see anything here on this S4 forum that would make me want to.

Am I missing something other than the new factor?

How could we answer? The confirmation stuff hasn't come out yet. A few leaks but the actual presentation doesn't come out until Thursday.

So my suggestion? Wait till Thursday and watch the Samsung presentation. Then you can answer your question for yourself :)

Sent from my Sprint S3 using AC forums.

tony477g

Sep 4, 2012
Visit site
why do they do this? Wouldnt they sell more phones by releasing it after our two year contract is over? Why not wait untill the two year contract is over and come out with a whole new radical phone?

jasongeiger

May 2, 2011
Visit site
There's a lot of people on gs2s ready to upgrade. I'm sure I'll be asking why also when the note 3 comes out. But my note 2 isn't going to be obsolete by any means later this year so I'll wait for the note 4 (or something else better, who knows)

Sent from my SCH-I605

LOANDROID

Mar 12, 2013
Visit site
This is what I did, I purchased the GS3 at retail price, and plan to sell it when GS4 comes out, by then my contract will completely end so that I'd be able to get GS4 at basically free (w/ sold amount from GS3 of course). I'd be rocking GS4 for bout a year than when GS5 or whatnot comes out, I'll again buy it for retail price then sell the GS4 at a decent price.

I'll rock the new phone every year without losing too much :)

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
why do they do this? Wouldnt they sell more phones by releasing it after our two year contract is over? Why not wait untill the two year contract is over and come out with a whole new radical phone?

Not everyone is on the same buying schedule as you.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tivativa