S4 has horrible Pentile Matrix Display

Status
Not open for further replies.

xtn

Sep 22, 2010
Visit site
Also... Someone doesn't know what the word uniform means. Both screen types have uniform pixel arrangements.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2

patelkedar91

Dec 17, 2012
Visit site
Hey HTC One fans.

AnandTech | Samsung Galaxy S 4 Review - Part 1
I trust Anandtech more than I trust anyone else on here:
At this size however I have to admit that I find the pursuit of the subpixel geometry more of an educational one than something which affects users. While I could occasionally see it on the SGS3, I definitely do not see it on SGS4. The subpixels are now small enough that whatever the pattern, it all looks like a homogenous light-emitting surface, which was the goal after all. I could bring up the visual acuity discussion again but just trust me that it's small enough to not be visible even with actually perfect (not legally perfect, which is different) vision.

This should answer your question. With S3 you could see those pixels, S4 you cannot. Whoever is saying otherwise, do you have the S4?
Anyway, I would gladly take more screen real estate than smaller screen in same size package.

To be honest this thread should be closed, lol.
My Asus Zenbook ultrabook, with the highest pixel density of all ultrabooks, has a PPI of 165.
To reiterate my point: Dumbest.Argument.Ever.

/Evo 3D user

zipro

Jul 18, 2010
Visit site
I got mine today - there's no way a normal human being can see that without a magnifying glass. The screen looks every bit as sharp as the HTC One's I'm about to sell. It's NOT A PROBLEM. Case closed.

zipro

Jul 18, 2010
Visit site
But is it still to dim and oversaturated,how is it in sunlight,a major issue with past samsung phones.

that's a general problem with AMOLED displays (and has nothing to do with Pentile vs. non-pentile). I haven't tested it yet, but I'd be very surprised if it were any better than the S3. If you need semi-decent readability outside, go for the HTC One

DroidXcon

Oct 21, 2010
Visit site
that's a general problem with AMOLED displays (and has nothing to do with Pentile vs. non-pentile). I haven't tested it yet, but I'd be very surprised if it were any better than the S3. If you need semi-decent readability outside, go for the HTC One

Oversaturation is just a software setting and dim display is also a samsung setting. So saying its a general AMOLED problem is a false statement. Its a general Samsung choice.

Just want to point that out.

From my Galaxy Note 2 via Tapatalk

lou61166

Banned
Mar 14, 2011
Visit site
Thanks i am currently using a Verizon DNA which is good in sun,but due for an upgrade on another line in August,Verizon does not offer the one,but unless they get a better HTC phone then my DNA by then, the S4 could be an option.

patelkedar91

Dec 17, 2012
Visit site
GSM Arena:
The 5" 1080p Super AMOLED is gorgeous.
The defect wasn't easily spotted on the Galaxy S III either unless you looked from a closer-than-comfortable distance, and here it's as good as invisible to the naked eye. The design of the PenTile matrix has been changed too, so now green sub-pixels are twice as many as blue and red sub-pixels, and the arrangement is changed as well. This however matters little to anyone not armed with a microscope.

But is it still to dim and oversaturated,how is it in sunlight,a major issue with past samsung phones.

I've heard reviews go both ways-- saying the reflection on the screen from S4 provides a better reading outdoors.
Luckily with brightness settings only a second to change away... you can actually adapt.

I know with my Evo3D I didn't even bother changing brightness and just waited until I was inside.

The Real X Dawg

Jun 8, 2012
Visit site
I would love to see a test showing the screens from the S3 and newer devices various distances and see who can guess each device correctly.

My phone is a good One.

lou61166

Banned
Mar 14, 2011
Visit site
I would love to see a test showing the screens from the S3 and newer devices various distances and see who can guess each device correctly.

My phone is a good One.

I could tell without a doubt,when i walked into a Verizon store they had a display with the DNA,S3,Note2,Iphone 5,all where playing movies,that is why i walked out with a DNA,i feel bad for your sight if you cannot see how much better the DNA screen is to either the S3 or note 2.

The Real X Dawg

Jun 8, 2012
Visit site
I could tell without a doubt,when i walked into a Verizon store they had a display with the DNA,S3,Note2,Iphone 5,all where playing movies,that is why i walked out with a DNA,i feel bad for your sight if you cannot see how much better the DNA screen is to either the S3 or note 2.

Let's be real, I don't even need to look to tell the DNA's screen would be better than the Note 2 and S3. S3 is just a starting point since I'm not going to list every top of the line device since the S3's release. Also specs alone puts the DNA in a different category from the S3 and Note 2.

My phone is a good One!

Infinite Jest

Nov 5, 2011
Visit site
I've had the S3 and DNA. Here are some thoughts:

S3- Way too dim and colors too saturated. Whites heavily tinted and I ran into unevenness of white tone and burn-in. Also, pentile pixels easy to discern even in the whites.

DNA- Much more accurate colors and whiter whites (still not as good as my friend's iPhone 5). However, the edge-lighting diffuser apparatus sucks with some darker spots along the sides and shadowing along the bottom (I've had multiple replacements with all the same issue). Also, poor choice of digitizer as there appears to be a grid over the otherwise nice display (minus the crappy backlighting)clearly visible in most conditions when the display is on.

If Samsung managed to drastically reduce visibility of the pentile matrix, increase brightness, achieve a more decent white level, and make sure the screen has no uneven tinting issues than I may be an OLED convert in this generation or the next.

lou61166

Banned
Mar 14, 2011
Visit site
I've had the S3 and DNA. Here are some thoughts:

S3- Way too dim and colors too saturated. Whites heavily tinted and I ran into unevenness of white tone and burn-in. Also, pentile pixels easy to discern even in the whites.

DNA- Much more accurate colors and whiter whites (still not as good as my friend's iPhone 5). However, the edge-lighting diffuser apparatus sucks with some darker spots along the sides and shadowing along the bottom (I've had multiple replacements with all the same issue). Also, poor choice of digitizer as there appears to be a grid over the otherwise nice display (minus the crap backlighting).

If Samsung managed to drastically reduce visibility of the pentile matrix, increase brightness, achieve a more decent white level, and make sure the screen has no uneven tinting issues than I may be an OLED convert in this generation or the next.

Must be lucky my DNA does not suffer from any of the issues you have,also have seen it next to an iphone 5 and i think it is better,but just my opinion.

patelkedar91

Dec 17, 2012
Visit site
Guys this is cool and all, but this is the S4 forum. Please talk about the S4's display.

It's already been covered you cannot discern individual pixels on the S4 from many people who already own it here in this forum but also from reliable sources such as Anandtech. The S4 is notably sharper than the S3, and you're not able to see the "horrible pentile display" unless you just want to talk about theory or stick a magnifying glass.

Lastly, my Asus Zenbook (with the highest ultrabook resolution) has a pixel density of 160ppi. If you're going to complain about pixels on your phone, complain about pixels on your TV or your computer as well.

Samsung fixed this issue of seeing pixels and if you don't own the phone, don't pretend you know.
As someone said before, first-world problem. Can we move on?

Podunks

Banned
Aug 14, 2012
Visit site
That dude is a complete fanboy. I would say he is a borderline troll. he is also the guy who claims there are 100 S3's at his office, and NONE have issues with weak signals..... So yeah, take what he says and compare it to a flaming bag of dog crap.

Still havnt graduated Middle School it seems.

There really should be age restrictions here for moments like these. No one under 10 allowed to post.

Just remember....people like you diligently defended the S3 screen as well.

?? I have never defended, or remarked on the S3 screen... I have never owned or played with one. I am on a windows phone.

But if you can find and quote any post where I supposedly did this by all means I will concede....

lou61166

Banned
Mar 14, 2011
Visit site
Guys this is cool and all, but this is the S4 forum. Please talk about the S4's display.

It's already been covered you cannot discern individual pixels on the S4 from many people who already own it here in this forum but also from reliable sources such as Anandtech. The S4 is notably sharper than the S3, and you're not able to see the "horrible pentile display" unless you just want to talk about theory or stick a magnifying glass.

Lastly, my Asus Zenbook (with the highest ultrabook resolution) has a pixel density of 160ppi. If you're going to complain about pixels on your phone, complain about pixels on your TV or your computer as well.

Samsung fixed this issue of seeing pixels and if you don't own the phone, don't pretend you know.
As someone said before, first-world problem. Can we move on?
So sorry for being concerned about the screen,and it has been said that in sunlight it is still to Dim and reflective,i work outside so this is a concern,do you own it to pass judgement,i have an upgrade coming up and am doing my research,the problem is there are still a lot of defenders to the gods,who find they need to defend the brand like they work for them,with every complaint or concern a user has.

lindseybp

May 7, 2010
Visit site
Can we just ignore this thread already. It has devolved into too much arguing. Doesn't help that the title of this thread is pretty harsh but then again the intent could have been to start something anyway. I just don't think this thread has any value anymore except for people to argue with each other.

Status
Not open for further replies.