Galaxy S4 US release date?

ryanr509

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site
I don't think they have early upgrades. My upgrade is 2nd week in May. I was told that you have to pay the full price for the device but they can credit your account the difference or something.

AT&T's early upgrade is at 20 months. Unless u call and beg someone I think the 20 months is the earliest they will let u upgrade from a 2 year contract

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums

Suda

Mar 13, 2013
Visit site
Ok I figured it out, that's for buying the phone through Staples. I'm assuming they just won't carry Sprint phones. Since when did Staples start selling phones?

JRDroid

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I was at att today and the guy helping e said they expected to have demo units of the s4 on Thursday, so the 26th makes sense as a launch day.

Also, att can move your upgrade date up. You go in to a store, they file a request for you, and you find out in a day or two if it has been approved. The guy said if you're within a month or two of your upgrade and have an account on good standing it is usually approved. Now, do I get the gs4 that has the software I want or wait for the optimus g pro with the 5.5" screen I want, or do I get a note 2?

Calidoc

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
I was at att today and the guy helping e said they expected to have demo units of the s4 on Thursday, so the 26th makes sense as a launch day.

Also, att can move your upgrade date up. You go in to a store, they file a request for you, and you find out in a day or two if it has been approved. The guy said if you're within a month or two of your upgrade and have an account on good standing it is usually approved. Now, do I get the gs4 that has the software I want or wait for the optimus g pro with the 5.5" screen I want, or do I get a note 2?

This Thursday? Sweet. I'm ready to see this thing!

JRDroid

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
This Thursday? Sweet. I'm ready to see this thing!

That's what he said. I know store reps can be a poor source of info, but I would think they'd only give a customer an exact day like that if they were sure. I said I wanted to wait till I saw the S4 before I decided what phone to get, he said we expect to have units to demo on Thursday, come back then.

JasW

Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
I was hoping AT&T wouldn't have it until May, as that's when my current 2 year time is up. Does this mean I can't preorder?
AT&T's early upgrade is at 20 months. Unless u call and beg someone I think the 20 months is the earliest they will let u upgrade from a 2 year contract

My upgrade cycle on AT&T has been 19 months for at least the past six years or so. The only exception occurred when, for some reason, I was made upgrade eligible at the year mark back in 2011. I have a feeling that was because I had a Torch 9800 at the time, and AT&T was pushing the newer 9810 at a special $49.99 upgrade price -- I took the bait, much to my later regret because I was back on a 19 month cycle after that, and stuck with the 9810.

In any event, I was supposed to become upgrade eligible again on March 21, but eligibility kicked it right at the beginning of March. The same thing has happened to my wife, who wasn't supposed to be eligible for an upgrade until later this week, but her eligibility kicked in at the beginning of the month also. So it's possible in muadib's case that upgrade eligibility could kick in at the beginning of May.

paintdrinkingpete

Dec 12, 2009
Visit site

Man Verizon never pleases their customers at allll

Totally. I don't understand why they are always behind. If this holds up that's over a month from the AT&T release

Not defending Verizon (far from it), but for one, they have different network technology which *could* cause delays, but I believe it more to be their own internal R&D and QA that causes this. This isn't an "exclusive" phone for them, and they know they'll sell a ton of them regardless, so my guess is that they'd rather take the time to complete their own internal processes than rush orders out the door. Sure, some folks will say, "they need this time to add all their bloatwarez!!1!", and to a very small extent that may be true, but it's also about testing and training and ensuring the devices works as advertised on their network before they release it. Say what you will about Verizon (and believe me, I say plenty), but their customer service has always been pretty decent IMO -- and given the massive amount of customers they need to support, it doesn't surprise me that it takes them longer to get phones out on street.

If getting the phones and updates *first* is a priority for you (and that's a legit priority), there are other carriers that will gladly take your money. Most people, like myself, who stick with Verizon do so because they offer the best network coverage for the areas we live/work/play in. I assure you, given T-Mobile's new plans, I'd love to switch if they actually had decent coverage where I live...but it's 2G only.

I was hoping AT&T wouldn't have it until May, as that's when my current 2 year time is up. Does this mean I can't preorder?

If you're waiting until May, why do you need to pre-order? Just wait until you're eligible then order it.

superjscott

Apr 15, 2013
Visit site
Can't wait. What is the pre-order date of AT&T? I want to make sure I'm one of the first to get this phone. A close friend of mine always beats me in getting new gadgets. He's a Korean, so I want to beat him from his home this time.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
123dzo