S3 User, Test Driving the One Until S4 Available

madlaw1071

Sep 1, 2010
Visit site
Being right handed I have to either hold the phone in my left and turn it on with my right or turn the phone on with my right hand and transfer it to my left hand. Whoever designed that and thought that was the best placement should be shot along with Chou.

I hate the home and back buttons equally as much. They dont always work and dont light up.

SteveISU

Sep 28, 2011
Visit site
I hate the home and back buttons equally as much. They dont always work and dont light up.

I have no issues with those buttons, but yes I do feel sometimes they should light up when they don't. I wish HTC would stick a setting in the phone to allow the user to turn on the buttons when the phone is on.

LoganK

Jul 21, 2010
Visit site
(Which, btw, is a good mark for the One; I believe CM said they were reluctant to support the S4)
You are correct.

No, "they" didn't say that, but it was reported that way.

One CM contributor (I believe an Exynos S III developer) said Team Hacksung would not support the S 4 because Samsung has not been forthcoming with the Exynos source code and documentation. Qualcomm has been much better, and is quite likely to get support.

CM being a community effort, it really boils down to whether or not anyone is willing to put in the time. The odds are really good that the Snapdragon S 4 will be supported. This is especially true in the context of expecting support for the HTC One which is running the exact same SoC.

By the way, I'd like to give credit for HTC finally opening up their phones. The locked down system was always a strong black mark against them (sure, somebody always cracked it, but it shouldn't be that difficult just to start developing). I think I read that HTC actually released the HTC One system unlocker before the phone was even on the market. Kudos!

dmmarck

Retired Moderator
Dec 28, 2011
Visit site
No, "they" didn't say that, but it was reported that way.

One CM contributor (I believe an Exynos S III developer) said Team Hacksung would not support the S 4 because Samsung has not been forthcoming with the Exynos source code and documentation. Qualcomm has been much better, and is quite likely to get support.

CM being a community effort, it really boils down to whether or not anyone is willing to put in the time. The odds are really good that the Snapdragon S 4 will be supported. This is especially true in the context of expecting support for the HTC One which is running the exact same SoC.

By the way, I'd like to give credit for HTC finally opening up their phones. The locked down system was always a strong black mark against them (sure, somebody always cracked it, but it shouldn't be that difficult just to start developing). I think I read that HTC actually released the HTC One system unlocker before the phone was even on the market. Kudos!

Correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't AOSP roms on the GS3 a bit of a nightmare, at least they were initially?

anon(26204)

May 24, 2010
Visit site
The OP has made some great points. I have the One and love it. However other than not being able to change the LED color..which imo is a very minor issue, everything else that's noted above, has a fix to it.

The Black Bar can be removed with unlocking/rooting and flashing a rom. I ran Android Revolution HD which took care of this.

No Power Toggles..can be fixed by downloading Power Toggles from the market..its great and No Root Is Needed :)

Battery Indicator in the status bar...well, Power Toggles also places the battery indicator in the status bar. :)

As far as Blinkfeed, you don't have to use it if you don't want to. This has been stated many times.

I do agree with you about the soft keys. However, I find that if I apply a little more pressure when I press them, they normally works flawlessly.

One main thing about the HTC One..at least the ATT variant is that it can also run international roms because the phones are exactly alike. So this may have and the big word is "may" have a greater Dev community..who knows..lol. Also for everybody that likes Cyanogenmod, it was reported that almost every member of the CM Team picked up a HTC One. So I assume that should be great news for the people that love that rom.

As far as battery life, I managed about 11-12 hours on one charge.

I still have the opportunity to grab a S4 as well because i have 2 upgrades available. I want to get it, but the selling points of the S4 is the reasons for me not being 100% committed to buying it. I barely used all the features on the S3 and Note 2, so I'm sure I'll barely use all the features on the S4 as well if I grabbed it. I'll go into the store when it's released and check it out and make my decision then :)

Pic of Power Toggles below

daga3usy.jpg

The Real X Dawg

Jun 8, 2012
Visit site
No. I came from a Galaxy Nexus and also own a Nexus 7. Black bar w/ "settings/menu" sticks out like a sore thumb.

I was wondering about that since I seen some people blame Samsung and App developers for that issue but I only heard of that issue with HTC devices.

Sent from my Jelly Bean chomping Infuse 4G!