I take back all my hate on the S4.

BOSSY TEXAS CHICK

Mar 2, 2011
Visit site
I think a lot of people were disappointed that it was not drastically different........

I remember when the SIII was first announced, the disdain was insane. (Nothing like the furor surrounding the S4 but still....)

Ppl insulting it and laughing at the "nature/pebble" design, insulting it for being plastic, mocking all the features, hating on its pentile display, etc etc etc.... Slowly, it won ppl over to become the biggest selling cell phone since i-u-know-who : )

When i FIRST saw the insanity of the HTC One/S4 debate, i repeatedly found myself taking up for the S4 but have since given that, "pointless crusade" up... I have no doubt that ONCE you use this device and realize that Samsung didn't leave even ONE stone unturned when it came to improving upon the S3, y'all will most likely feel as OP does : )

It is simply amazing to me someone can start a post with "i take my hate back on the S4" and be threatened with eternal damnation (banning) and be suspected and accused of being a troll.
The S4 is a wonderful device, not comparing it to anything, it stands on its own as a state of the art technological lil wonder, and i love mine to bits and pieces : )

BTC

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
In my opinion, the existence of this thread is a very good thing, because it can allow members to feel like it's okay to change their mind. If the Samsung "fanboys" like the S4, so what? What were the odds they wouldn't? If someone converts, that's much more powerful because it means there is something compelling, at least to that person, to cause the change.

Eric Kane

Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
I'd say even if they picked up one for reasons stemming from incorrect information, oh well? We can try to educate, but in the end, it doesn't matter if they change their mind or exchange it or anything like that. We should be offering help and encouragement and adding integrity of debate, which includes supporting people adding their opinions and asking questions, even if we disagree with the premise upon which they create those thoughts.

A friend of mine refused to buy the One, a phone perfect for him as he's an audiophile and appreciates accurate colors on beautiful displays. All because he thought it overheated all the time and because someone told him the metal would make his signal strength suck. I told him that both weren't true and to go play with it.

He owns an HTC One now. Creating a stigma about a phone that might make people who would love the phone not buy it is what I try to avoid.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
A friend of mine refused to buy the One, a phone perfect for him as he's an audiophile and appreciates accurate colors on beautiful displays. All because he thought it overheated all the time and because someone told him the metal would make his signal strength suck. I told him that both weren't true and to go play with it.

He owns an HTC One now. Creating a stigma about a phone that might make people who would love the phone not buy it is what I try to avoid.

I agree 100% with education and trying to avoid misinformation. If he had chosen the S4 or something else instead, I'd disagree 100% with berating him for it, regardless of his reasoning. It'd be unfortunate, because perhaps he would have been happier with the One, but if he'd chosen the S4 he'd still have a great device and I want to be part of a community that would help him make the most of it. I really think we're pretty close on this issue, perhaps just saying it differently?

Nreeldeep

Sep 9, 2010
Visit site
At the end of day, we all have lives to lead. Some have kids to feed. We all have jobs to go to or businesses to run. Bills to pay. Some have lost loved ones and are in the process of picking up their lives. I celebrate debate. It can be fun and exhilarating. But we have to work to keep all things in perspective. I give my passion to my family, my health, my friends and my career.
I'll go out on a limb and say that 20-24 months from now, or even sooner, noone who frequents these sites will still own a Samsung Galaxy S4 or HTC One. But I'd venture that we'll still have the same family, health to keep up, friends and career.
I greatly respect Chetan Takyar for having the courage to create this thread.
-composed from atop my high horse!!

anon5664829

Banned
Feb 6, 2013
Visit site
At the end of day, we all have lives to lead. Some have kids to feed. We all have jobs to go to or businesses to run. Bills to pay. Some have lost loved ones and are in the process of picking up their lives. I celebrate debate. It can be fun and exhilarating. But we have to work to keep all things in perspective. I give my passion to my family, my health, my friends and my career.
I'll go out on a limb and say that 20-24 months from now, or even sooner, noone who frequents these sites will still own a Samsung Galaxy S4 or HTC One. But I'd venture that we'll still have the same family, health to keep up, friends and career.
I greatly respect Chetan Takyar for having the courage to create this thread.
-composed from atop my high horse!!

Thanks:) lesson learnt about using a phone before judging now:)

and LOL at reference:p

Nreeldeep

Sep 9, 2010
Visit site
Thanks:) lesson learnt about using a phone before judging now:)

and LOL at reference:p
Thought you'd appreciate that reference.
It's all good, bruh (I'm assuming you're a dude). We're in this Android thing together. Within families, siblings fight. Parents fight each other and they fight with the kids. But let an outsider try to assault anyone in the family. Beatdown town!!
These are great times for Android!! We have arguably the two best devices in the world, in our stable. My son now owns the HTC One that I'd originally returned and I have a Note 2 and S4. I'm glad to have all these devices in my house. I routinely play with my son's One every chance I get. Mostly when he's in bed. That's the only time it's not in his hands. It's just gorgeous. I previously had the i@#*$e 4S (I'm kidding with the symbols!) and most recently the Samsung S3. I was so accustomed to the wake up button at the bottom of the device and the power button on the side, that I just couldn't, try as I might, reconcile the button way up on top and to the left on the HTC One. My son has almost dropped his One trying to one-handedly turn on the screen. We had to get a case for it before it met cement from a height of 3 feet.
Anyway, I'm rambling.

bembol

Trusted Member
Jun 18, 2011
Visit site
I can admit I was wrong too, I criticized Samsung when the S4 was launched. I LMAO when it was unveiled but being a Super Phone freak I still went and pre-ordered it. LOL I figure I can always sell it, make money off it and keep my Note 2. :)

When I picked it up I couldn't believe how light it is and more importantly it didn't feel cheap. This was the point I told my family & friends.

anon5664829

Banned
Feb 6, 2013
Visit site
I can admit I was wrong too, I criticized Samsung when the S4 was launched. I LMAO when it was unveiled but being a Super Phone freak I still went and pre-ordered it. LOL I figure I can always sell it, make money off it and keep my Note 2. :)

When I picked it up I couldn't believe how light it is and more importantly it didn't feel cheap. This was the point I told my family & friends.

Yeah honestly it doesn't feel cheap at all and people were complaining about that. Sure not as good feeling as the One for me but definitely NOT cheap

Posted via Android Central App using my Nexus 4

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Overall, I think people just need to allow for the fact that, like what has been posted before, there CAN be two outstanding devices and both can appropriately fit an individuals needs. As for myself, the One seems to be a very good device. I like the screen on it, and the feel is unique and wonderful. That being said, I hate HTC phones. I don't like Sense, button layout (both hard and soft keys), and the general lack of SD expansions. I truly hope that the One gives HTC breathing room for the next 2 or 3 fiscal quarters, allowing them to generate another good device. Because in basic principal, I believe that if someone wants a choice of smartphone, it shouldn't be Samsung and Apple. With Google controlling Moto, I hope to see some good devices from them, and with what I have seen from the Nexus 4, and the Optimus G, I have high hopes for LG as well.

- - - Updated - - -

?

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Android Central Forums

He said earlier that it was for a friend, and he was just playing with it.

jackdubl

Apr 18, 2013
Visit site
The screen is good , battery could be better ,mem expansion whether you like it or not is legacy features that will be dropped soon. greater camera next year. The Nexus phones are amazing:)

Posted via Android Central App using my Nexus 4

Sammy's CEO said they give the public what they want, ala, they're almost the only phone to still have mem expansion and removable batteries. And they happen to be number one. Yeah, I see them changing that... Not. They probably love that everyone else is going in another direction.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
Sammy's CEO said they give the public what they want, ala, they're almost the only phone to still have mem expansion and removable batteries. And they happen to be number one. Yeah, I see them changing that... Not. They probably love that everyone else is going in another direction.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

If that was fully true, TouchWiz wouldn't be ugly, there would be no menu button and their phones would be made out of platinum ;)

Seriously though, it's been nearly 2 years since Samsung received the code from which they made the first device to show off Android's standard button configuration, and they haven't made a device since that followed that basic guideline. Because Samsung is such a big name in Android, they are one of the major factors in the "broken" apps on many devices that can't figure out how to handle menus. A consensus between them and Google was clearly reached on the Galaxy Nexus, however then Samsung backtracked while the rest of the industry (for the most part, LG is straddling both camps right now) moved forward. THAT is real fragmentation and it's a problem.

Removable batteries, as long as we have battery life problems are a great idea. As soon as we have batteries that last for weeks, yeah go ahead and seal that thing in there... until then, it's a selling point (not a clincher or deal breaker).

SD cards are not a part of Android and as more restrictions come upon them (such as how storing Apps was removed) they will become less popular. There are many threads from people who lost content (pictures, etc... not replaceable) because the card support is not seamless and the cards become unreadable without being reformatted. I believe SD cards should be replaced by a combination of much better on board storage (128-512GB, etc) and improved syncing options with cloud services, such as those Google provides for free. The biggest gripe people seem to have with the cloud storage is being charged for data plans, however with wifi being extremely cheap and nearly everywhere, as it becomes more prevalent that should be less of an issue too.

People do want these features now because they haven't been shown a stellar replacement for these features. It wouldn't be wrong for us to expect Samsung feature innovation include progress on these fronts rather than digging in their heals. As Chetan and others have said, this device does fly and as one of the top 5 devices available right now, it is a definite upgrade over the S3, but I think we have a long ways to go.

Nreeldeep

Sep 9, 2010
Visit site
If that was fully true, TouchWiz wouldn't be ugly, there would be no menu button and their phones would be made out of platinum ;)

Seriously though, it's been nearly 2 years since Samsung received the code from which they made the first device to show off Android's standard button configuration, and they haven't made a device since that followed that basic guideline. Because Samsung is such a big name in Android, they are one of the major factors in the "broken" apps on many devices that can't figure out how to handle menus. A consensus between them and Google was clearly reached on the Galaxy Nexus, however then Samsung backtracked while the rest of the industry (for the most part, LG is straddling both camps right now) moved forward. THAT is real fragmentation and it's a problem.

Removable batteries, as long as we have battery life problems are a great idea. As soon as we have batteries that last for weeks, yeah go ahead and seal that thing in there... until then, it's a selling point (not a clincher or deal breaker).

SD cards are not a part of Android and as more restrictions come upon them (such as how storing Apps was removed) they will become less popular. There are many threads from people who lost content (pictures, etc... not replaceable) because the card support is not seamless and the cards become unreadable without being reformatted. I believe SD cards should be replaced by a combination of much better on board storage (128-512GB, etc) and improved syncing options with cloud services, such as those Google provides for free. The biggest gripe people seem to have with the cloud storage is being charged for data plans, however with wifi being extremely cheap and nearly everywhere, as it becomes more prevalent that should be less of an issue too.

People do want these features now because they haven't been shown a stellar replacement for these features. It wouldn't be wrong for us to expect Samsung feature innovation include progress on these fronts rather than digging in their heals. As Chetan and others have said, this device does fly and as one of the top 5 devices available right now, it is a definite upgrade over the S3, but I think we have a long ways to go.
Samsung is fortunate that HTC has a **** poor marketing office and no marketing budget. I wouldn't be surprised if Apple hasn't pondered gifting HTC seed money just to help them topple Samsung.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ecstasy89