Hangouts app won't work on my S4

craigrn16

Oct 7, 2010
Visit site
Anybody else having problems getting the new Hangouts app to work? Mine just keeps reverting to Google talk

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Android Central Forums

gabbott

Trusted Member
Mar 22, 2010
Visit site
I got it to install by going to the play store on the web and installing it to my phone on there:

https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...ils?id=com.google.android.talk&token=9VYOsKsC

However I've heard that some aren't getting it to work that way. Google has said this on the notes for the new app:

NOTE: If you aren't yet able to install Hangouts on your phone or tablet, or the Play Store "Open" button takes you to the old Talk app, hang tight, we are rolling out Hangouts to everyone over the course of several days. Rest assured Hangouts will be available soon for all Android 2.3+ devices, tablets included!
Hangouts brings one-on-one and group conversations to life with photos, emoji, and video calls for free. Connect with friends across computers, Android and Apple devices. Brought to you by Google.

keyzlife

Sep 6, 2012
Visit site
I found the APK on the web. I don't recall the website. My TALK was showing as hangout in the playstore but when I opened it it was still TALK. After downloading the APK and installing it, TALK was overwritten.

IMO I like Talk better thus far. It was more simplistic. Hangout seems a little more cumbersome. It is nice that it will be cross platform, but trying to get iPeople to download Google apps isn'tworth the effort. Talk had the color indicators that showed the availability of the contacts in your conversations. Is that option gone now?

Parafly

Mar 20, 2011
Visit site
I found the APK on the web. I don't recall the website. My TALK was showing as hangout in the playstore but when I opened it it was still TALK. After downloading the APK and installing it, TALK was overwritten.

IMO I like Talk better thus far. It was more simplistic. Hangout seems a little more cumbersome. It is nice that it will be cross platform, but trying to get iPeople to download Google apps isn'tworth the effort. Talk had the color indicators that showed the availability of the contacts in your conversations. Is that option gone now?

I wqas kind of hoping they would just rename Talk and keep it that way across all platforms :(

- - - Updated - - -

I wqas kind of hoping they would just rename Talk and keep it that way across all platforms :(

kozlosap

Apr 25, 2013
Visit site
I already had Talk installed on my S4 so I just went to the Play Store and hit UPGRADE on the Talk page. It works perfectly on phone and on my iPad HD. I have used it for video chats and messaging with no difficulty. BTW, my carrier is AT&T.:D

BlastTyrant

Dec 3, 2011
Visit site
Go to www.teamblackedout.com and get ya some black Hangouts :cool:
ma5u3y5u.jpg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk 2

jaxterzz

May 3, 2013
Visit site
I've had a bunch of issues with Google Hangouts. A lot of the times the messages are not sending and I'm not receiving them. Notifications is buggy. It basically needs an update to fix the bugs pronto!

Galaxia

May 24, 2013
Visit site
I agree. I updated to hangouts then uninstalled the update and reverted back to TALK. The new features do not out weight the functional features they took away in my opinion.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk 2