How to prepare for switch from Iphone5?

Jan 16, 2013
Visit site
I am switching from an Iphone 5. I am anxiously waiting for my Samsung Galaxy S4 to be delivered by the end of the week. Any suggestions on things to do to prepare for the change over? How to get my contacts from ICloud to Google? I am already a gmail user but use both to store contacts and Icloud contacts are more phone oriented where as the google contacts are more email oriented. I heard some had problems with Imessage? Turn it off now? How to get my music to the new phone that is all on Itunes cloud? Any help with these or any other ideas for me would be greatly appreciated.

Noel Eiffe

May 17, 2013
Visit site
Turn off imessage or else other I-device users may not get you their Sms... You can get to it in iTunes settings under device. Much easier to disable while your iPhone is still connected. That was the only glitch for me...

Sent from my S4 using Android Central Forums

EMY92

Apr 5, 2013
Visit site
The Samsung smartswitch works very well.

Make sure you backup your iphone with iTunes and back up to your computer, not to icloud.

It'll move over text messages, phone logs, contact information, music, photos, notes from the notepad app, etc.

It took me a couple of days to get used to things, but I like the switch.

apollooff320

May 16, 2010
Visit site
Turn off imessage or else other I-device users may not get you their Sms... You can get to it in iTunes settings under device. Much easier to disable while your iPhone is still connected. That was the only glitch for me...

This is the #1 you should do and nothing else before this.

awb594

Sep 29, 2011
Visit site
If you want to continue using itunes for music purchases etc. download Doubletwist. It mirrors your itunes and works well on the S4. You will need to download it on your phone as well as your desktop computer. Good luck. I made the switch from an iPhone 5 and I am loving it.

garublador

May 20, 2013
Visit site
If you have any iTunes purchases from before April of 2009 you may want to look into getting the DRM removed. DoubleTwist won't do that, IIRC. I'm about to try to get my iTunes on my S4 when it arrives and I'm considering iSyncr over DoubleTwist to avoid having two music management programs on my PC. Sadly, the Google Music system isn't very well suited to the S4 with 16G of internal memory. If you want to download the songs to your phone to play off line you have to save them to internal memory and it's pretty limited. There's no big rush for this unless you really want your music on your phone ASAP. You can mess around with different options after you get the phone and use your iPhone as an iPod temporarily if something isn't going right.

For contacts, look up how to get them into Google. It's not that hard of a process and easily Googleable (that's a word now). Once they're there you'll just synch them with your new phone.

tjg312

Apr 29, 2013
Visit site
yeah lol definitely turn off imessage.. first day I got the phone I was getting a ton of messages that still went to my iphone while I was out with my S4 thinking I had no friends, then came home and saw my old iphone with a ton of unread messages

swent1

May 19, 2013
Visit site
yeah lol definitely turn off imessage.. first day I got the phone I was getting a ton of messages that still went to my iphone while I was out with my S4 thinking I had no friends, then came home and saw my old iphone with a ton of unread messages

I am currently having that problem!! How did you fix it?? I have deleted it off my macbook but it still is not recognizing I am not an iphone for some people :(

tjg312

Apr 29, 2013
Visit site
I am currently having that problem!! How did you fix it?? I have deleted it off my macbook but it still is not recognizing I am not an iphone for some people :(
I just went to my iphone and turned it off, if you already traded in your iphone you may have to wait. My friend got a note2 awhile back and it would take forever to send texts to him since it would always try sending as imessage. Eventually it started sending as normal texts but it took about a week

firedoug

May 3, 2013
Visit site
If you have a Mac that is syncing your contacts via the apple desktop address book export to a file. Then log onto Google go to your Gmail settings and you'll find an option to import contacts via a file.

Jan 16, 2013
Visit site
Two things: 1. When should I turnoff Imessage? Days before I make the switch or can I do it just before the switch.

I already have a google account. If I use the switching program from Samsung will I have duplicate contact entries?

garublador

May 20, 2013
Visit site
Two things: 1. When should I turnoff Imessage? Days before I make the switch or can I do it just before the switch.

I already have a google account. If I use the switching program from Samsung will I have duplicate contact entries?
I don't know the actual answer to either of those, but FWIW, Google Contacts has a pretty good algorithm for merging duplicate contact entries. Doing that ahead of time is probably a bigger deal when going from Android to iOS (as my wife recently found out), but it may give you some peace of mind knowing that duplicates are easily fixed in the Google realm.

Last edited:

gummyjelly

Sep 26, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android family! I had all the iphones (besides the 5). You will most likely not like the stock messager so get Go Sms Pro and the Emoji plugin for it so you can still enjoy the emojis friends with iphones will send you and you can send back. Theres really no keyboard like the iphone but swift keyboard beats it (it really is a million times better), download that as well. Those were the only two things that I really needed to move from iphone to android. Enjoy that big beautiful screen!

swarlos

Trusted Member
Mar 8, 2010
Visit site
Also make sure your friends have your number in their contacts as mobile not as iPhone that could be screwing stuff up too.

Sent from the collector home world.

fishepa

Mar 19, 2013
Visit site

Is that the same thing as going into the setting in the iPhone itself and turning off iMessage? Or do you have to do it through iTunes?

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AmeliaRodriguez