Why Android Will Always Be Laggier Than iOS

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
I beg the difference with you. It's not Android per se, is the phone manufacturer, in this case HTC is the one with no sd and fixed battery.

On the SD card thing, it's Android. Batteries are a design thing, as far as I know Google doesn't care whether or not the battery is removable or not.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Here's my helpful tip of the day: the Ignore function.

If there's a member whose posts you'd rather not read, click their avatar, select forum profile, then hit add to ignore list. This feature keeps that member's posts from being displayed in the thread.

Sent from my Galaxy Note II

Best post. :)

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Android Central Forums

STARGATE

Ambassador
Oct 8, 2012
Visit site
Best post. :)

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Android Central Forums

I agree! :beer::D

Sent from my Photon 4G that Stupid Motorola will not upgrade to ICS or any other newer form of Android because they're a bunch of stupid lying bastards (and deserve to go to h e ll!) using Android Central Forums

NotJustAPhone

Jan 29, 2011
Visit site
Let's avoid discussing other members here and keep this thread on-topic. If you believe a post is inappropriate, feel free to hit the report button.

Sent from my SGSIII

Last edited:

Mellimel22

Banned
Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
I knew you would pull the defect card. I got the Nexus 7 as a pre order along with 4 other people. We got it as a gift for being the grooms man for my best friend. Every single one of us agrees that it just is not a smooth and fast device. My wife is not tech savy she felt it was sluggish and not that fast when I first got it ( this was before we got our gs3's and was coming from a galaxy s1 ) 3 of us are stock, 2 of us are modded. Mine also had a kernel that over clocked the GPU and it still lagged. I went back to stock and it still lagged, so I guess all 5 of us had defective units huh?

Everyone else here also agrees that the Nexus 7 was laggy. You seem to be the only one who thinks otherwise. I also don't doubt the GS4 lags, but if you thought the nexus 7 was smooth then I'm sure you would think the GS4 is smooth as well.

I never saw a laggy nexus 7 and I had two and played with 4. M

Sent from my Sprint Galaxy Nexus rockin 4.2.2 using Tapatalk 2

Dreamliner330

Sep 3, 2011
Visit site
I posted about the Nexus 7 lag about a month after its release. But somehow, I was 'wrong' about that just like I'm 'wrong' about the S4 lag.

It's fine if it does not bother you, but don't pretend its not there.

I'm still hopeful for a GE S4 ROM for the Verizon S4 or a Moto X phone or a better HTC device to hit Verizon.

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site
  • iOS has always given 1st priority to screen elements and user interaction such as touching the screen while Android treats everything equally. Also from the beginning iOS used the gpu to render UI elements and Android didn't.
  • Project Butter improved Vsync timing to increase the frame rate and make it consistent, initiated triple buffering to sync the gpu, cpu and screen, and improved touch latency. Touch latency was probably the biggest issue. I think it also gave more priority to UI processes but not as much as iOS does. But I'd have to look through some developer docs to be sure of that. This really revamped a lot of things about Android internals in a major way but they can only go so far without breaking a lot of apps because of design decisions made early on in Android. Such as running bytecode in a JVM....at least the jvm has gotten much more efficient but it is no substitute for compiled apps and never will be anymore than any JVM can be.
  • I'd say it works on Nexus devices pretty well but I've still seen significant lag on Nexus 7 and 10 and some on my Nexus 4 but pretty minimal
  • Heavy overlays cause lag like the latest version of Touchwiz which I'm sure could also use some optimization and integration with the core OS.
  • Well written apps following developer guidelines are also important.
  • It doesn't help that Google and the manufacturers let the carriers load a gross amount of bloatware on their phones either.
  • WebOS was based on the Linux kernel so of course it has os multi-tasking to deal with kernel and process interaction etc but did not extend that to the applications much if at all.
  • I don't agree with you at all about iPhone lag, especially a lot of lag. The only time I've seen that is a new version of the os on a really old phone or a misbehaving app and that has been few and far between.

The kernel was heavily modified for webOS. It does not kill tasks or apps automatically to free up memory. Instead, you'd get "too many cards", the phone would freak out, and you'd have to do a battery pull and not use your phone for an hour while it rebooted. :p

Posted via Android Central App

LegalAmerican

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
I quoted your entire post this time. It made absolutely no difference. your meaning was exactly the same.

What is the point of reading threads like this if you are indifferent to other people's opinions? Obviously people are saying more than "your phone sucks' here...they are doing specific comparisons, making claims about performance, ect...

I do not even mean this as an insult, but why would you waste your time reading other people's opinions if you are really that indifferent to them?

EDIT: post deleted. Found the ignore function.

JeffDenver

Banned
May 3, 2010
Visit site
I knew you would pull the defect card.
Not sure what else to tell you...I am not seeing the same thing you are. What is different about mine?

Everyone else here also agrees that the Nexus 7 was laggy. You seem to be the only one who thinks otherwise.
Why is my unit special?

I also don't doubt the GS4 lags, but if you thought the nexus 7 was smooth then I'm sure you would think the GS4 is smooth as well.
No I do not.

It's not awful. If I had an S4 I could live with it. But it does not feel as smooth as the N4 or N7 to me...not remotely. It is fast in the sense that stuff launches and transitions quickly. It is laggy in the sense that the UI stutters and drops frames. This may or may not be due to touchwiz...IMO though, it is Touchwiz that is the problem.

STARGATE

Ambassador
Oct 8, 2012
Visit site
Probably, but there's no denying that many, many people are happy with they're GS4s.
I'll keep on researching and if I choose the GS4 and don't like it I always have 14 days to make up my mind and get the HTC One or viceversa! :beer::D

Sent from my Photon 4G that Stupid Motorola will not upgrade to ICS or any other newer form of Android because they're a bunch of stupid lying bastards (and deserve to go to h e ll!) using Android Central Forums

RenoD2010

Mar 31, 2011
Visit site
That article is from 2011. From what I've read, Project Butter is supposed to have fixed the lag.

Though in my experience the only android phones that don't lag are the Nexus ones and the new HTC One (due to a lean Sense). TouchWiz on my S4 is a horrific bloated POS. Hate it. The lag is driving me nuts. Can't wait until Google releases their S4 so I can flash to that.

This phone has virtually no lag. LG skin is very light. I don't even know what it is called. This phone is only inches away from the ONE and the S4. It would take very little effort from LG to match those two phones.

As for iOS 7, I would be very surprised if running on an iPhone 5, it was leaps and bounds ahead of quad core handsets running stock 4.2.2.

Sent from my LG-E970 using AC Forums mobile app

jasonb

Apr 23, 2010
Visit site
I've had mine for 2 weeks, and the only lag I've experienced is in the stock web browser. Other than that it seems very responsive. Way more responsive than my old iPhone 4.

DS1331

May 25, 2013
Visit site
I hate to say it as well but just coming from an iPhone 5 it definitely seemed smoother even after I jailbroke it and added a bunch of crap to it. It wasn't faster just smoother it feels like the touch screen is different then android the way they make the phone. The one doesn't lag or stutter really just the way you move between the screens feels like it's made differently then the iPhone

Sent from my HTC One using AC Forums mobile app