Why Android Will Always Be Laggier Than iOS

Bojamijams

May 14, 2013
Visit site
That article is from 2011. From what I've read, Project Butter is supposed to have fixed the lag.

Though in my experience the only android phones that don't lag are the Nexus ones and the new HTC One (due to a lean Sense). TouchWiz on my S4 is a horrific bloated POS. Hate it. The lag is driving me nuts. Can't wait until Google releases their S4 so I can flash to that.

natehoy

Sep 2, 2011
Visit site
That article is from 2011. From what I've read, Project Butter is supposed to have fixed the lag.

Project Butter has helped, a lot. But a manufacturer such as Samsung who likes to implement lots of features in software will, of course, cause a lot more software to be running. And Project Butter can work against such refinements from time to time, since the UI is launching background processes and if the UI is running too pre-emptively it can interfere with the work being done to support it. Touchwiz and Sense are, by definition, a lot "heavier" than stock Android, since they offer many features stock does not.

Having said that, Project Butter has helped immensely in the app space, and in no way required the "throw the whole infrastructure away" doom and gloom predictions of this article, which is full of a lot more vitriol than fact.

Dreamliner330

Sep 3, 2011
Visit site
Project Butter is supposed to have fixed the lag.
Project Butter helped, but it didn't fix it. It is pretty disappointing to see lag/ animation glitches. But on a Nexus device they are relatively minor and its a small price to pay for the functionality.

TouchWiz on my S4 is a horrific bloated POS. Hate it. The lag is driving me nuts. Can't wait until Google releases their S4 so I can flash to that.
I seriously don't understand how the Samsung software people could have possibly signed off on The S4. It's so flipping laggy/stuttering. Yet there are still people in the S4 forum who pretend their S4 is lag free.

I really hope a 100% functional Google Edition ROM is developed on XDA for carrier edition S4's. I'm okay with being an update or two behind of it means getting AOSP on Verizon. It's not like the Verizon Galaxy Nexus was updated quickly anyhow.

AOSP + Verizon = unstoppable.

:)

willthetech

May 21, 2011
Visit site
Came from a Iphone 5 and I am having some hard time adapting to the lgginess in my GS4, so far what i need to do is open the apps i need to use during the day and keep them running at all time, then it feels a lot better.

Kedar

May 3, 2010
Visit site
Project Butter helped, but it didn't fix it. It is pretty disappointing to see lag/ animation glitches. But on a Nexus device they are relatively minor and its a small price to pay for the functionality.

I seriously don't understand how the Samsung software people could have possibly signed off on The S4. It's so flipping laggy/stuttering. Yet there are still people in the S4 forum who pretend their S4 is lag free.

I really hope a 100% functional Google Edition ROM is developed on XDA for carrier edition S4's. I'm okay with being an update or two behind of it means getting AOSP on Verizon. It's not like the Verizon Galaxy Nexus was updated quickly anyhow.

Well you've always thrown hate posts on Samsung.

The S4 is NOT AS LAGGY as you say it is. Sure it is not 100% gone, but you guys act like it is there everytime we flip a homescreen.

That doesn't mean I won't be flashing to a touchwiz-free or touchwiz-fixed rom... but just to let all those Sammy haters know.

Dreamliner330

Sep 3, 2011
Visit site
Well you've always thrown hate posts on Samsung.
Well deserved...I might add. ;)
The S4 is NOT AS LAGGY as you say it is. Sure it is not 100% gone, but you guys act like it is there everytime we flip a homescreen.
I honestly consider any lag or animation stutter unacceptable. The iPhone has no lag and the Nexus S4 has next to no lag...by that measure, the S4 is horrible. It also doesn't help that TouchWiz looks like it was developed by a 5 year old. HTC's Sense looks LOADS better, much more professional, sleek and modern.
That doesn't mean I won't be flashing to a touchwiz-free or touchwiz-fixed rom... but just to let all those Sammy haters know.
They day the GE S4 ROM is available for the Verizon S4, I'm right there with ya. In the mean time, I'm curious to see what Motorola and Apple announce this summer. I doubt though, it will trump a Nexus experience on the S4.

Came from a Iphone 5 and I am having some hard time adapting to the lgginess in my GS4, so far what i need to do is open the apps i need to use during the day and keep them running at all time, then it feels a lot better.
Try this, it should help immensely. :)

warpdrive

Jul 13, 2011
Visit site

I just love to pretend so I'll just say this. On my S4 that is still on the original release software has always been lag free and barely stutters if you can even call it that.

I agree. Refinements to the OS should always be finished long before a release, but if you still have lag or your gallery is bugging out on you, just return it. Its broken.

You can deny that there are working S4s all you want. It won't make it true.

Posted via Android Central App

Dreamliner330

Sep 3, 2011
Visit site
I just love to pretend so I'll just say this. On my S4 that is still on the original release software has always been lag free and barely stutters if you can even call it that.

I agree. Refinements to the OS should always be finished long before a release, but if you still have lag or your gallery is bugging out on you, just return it. Its broken.

You can deny that there are working S4s all you want. It won't make it true.
Point proven for me. Even you, in the middle of your 'its perfect' rant, admit it stutters. People have been claiming their Android device doesn't lag/stutter since Android began...do you know what they've all had in common? They have all been wrong.

Am I saying it is an unpurchasable product, absolutely not. The S4 is currently the best Android device available on all national carriers. But it absolutely does lag/stutter. If it didn't lag at all, then these tips must do absolutely nothing, right? Wrong.

It stutters, deal with it.

Please remember, there is a difference between it stuttering and noticing it stutters. When compared to a liquid smooth experience, the difference becomes immediately noticeable. (Example, your S4 probably made your old device look even worse). Just because you don't notice it, doesn't mean it's not there.

I can hardly wait for the GE S4 ROM. :)

Kedar

May 3, 2010
Visit site
Well, the sad thing is the S3/S2 probably don't lag as much as the S4.

Now, the Iphone and HTC One still stutter. For the One, try pinching out to all the homescreens. Then tap on one.
For the Iphone (and I haven't tried this on the 5), going to the search screen.
____

As for the touch sensors (when you touch and when the phone actually registers the touch) Iphone beats it all. S4 is second. HTC one was like 4th? I'll have to find that list.

Aaron Watson

Feb 1, 2013
Visit site
Well s4 stutters a little because of all the added features, which is weird because the s3 didnt lag. Anyway, im sure updates will be rolling out to fix it. Besides, those minor stutters dont bother the average consumer.

Posted via Android Central App from my Samsung Galaxy S3! GT-19300

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site
Listen....the OP has TWO posts. This is definitely meant to incite an argument. It links to a true Apple fanboy site (hence the title "Cult").

The conversation can/will continue as long it's civil and controlled. The instant it gets out of hand action will be taken. :)

Thanks.

dkhmwilliams

May 10, 2013
Visit site
When I had the Galaxy Nexus, I didn't recall having any issues with lag. I thought the phone was really smooth and fast. I don't recall a whole lot of lag with the Note 2 either. I will be honest, I don't really look for it. As long as it doesn't bother me while I'm using it I'm fine.

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk 2

garublador

May 20, 2013
Visit site
That article suggests that iOS will always be slower than Android at doing everything except for animation if you ever touch your phone. It's a small philosophical difference as to whether nice looking animations or processing performance are more important. I understand why Apple made animation the top priority, UI in mobile devices is super important and it does look super nice and professional that way. However, I like knowing that my phone can decide that stuff like answering a call, rendering a page or doing some background processing might be more important than smooth animation. I'd rather get from point A to point B in the fastest possible way, not the "smoothest."

shoii

May 17, 2013
Visit site
Maybe I'm wrong but with a luncher such as nova I experience no lag whatsoever on my S4. Its not that difficult to just get a launcher.

dkhmwilliams

May 10, 2013
Visit site
Maybe I'm wrong but with a luncher such as nova I experience no lag whatsoever on my S4. Its not that difficult to just get a launcher.

I wonder will the S4 running stick android will show any lag.

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk 2

bp3dots

Nov 15, 2009
Visit site
If the argument is that Adroroid will always be laggy, yet, it's accepted that sotck on the N4 and better and even the HTC one are basically lag free, why are you guys still going back and forth?

Touchwiz is the issue (also not disputed in this thread) and is not indicative of Android as a whole.

bembol

Trusted Member
Jun 18, 2011
Visit site
It was one of the reasons why kept going back to iPhone but Jelly Bean/Project Butter ended my relationship with Apple. :) If she changes I will go back. LOL

.46caliber

Jun 16, 2010
Visit site
Its a preposterous question. Between all the variations in hardware and OS, its like comparing an apple to literally every other fruit in the produce section. Not all devices are created equal and not all Android builds are created equal.

That being said, keep iOS's mediocrity and the stale Apple hardware design. I'll take the functionalities and variety of the Android ecosystem any day even despite that fact that some of the OEMs on some models manage to royally muck up the software along with the carriers.

My N7 has literally been the best experience I've had with any computer/mobile device save for maybe my IBM Thinkpad.

Sent from my PG86100 using Tapatalk 2