Galaxy s4 lag issue?

planoman

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
There is no need to be negative. So what if a new thread has started? The OP did nothing wrong here.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Android Central Forums

He was making a joke people! He was joking about the number of lag threads here in the S4 forum. Not a big deal. We all need to lighten up...

Let's get back to the topic which is... does anyone have lag on their S4?

Last edited:

trparky

Nov 9, 2011
Visit site
With as many Android mobile news sites (such as this one, PhoneDog, and others like it), along with forums across the world reporting the same issue, I can't see Samsung ignoring the issue for long.

I have looked into the issue myself and I have some theories as to why this issue an issue. One of the things that I have looked at is that it seems that the speed of the CPU doesn't ramp up as fast as it should, or at least, not as fast as I think it should. Most of the time it stays at 384 MHz, the lowest CPU speed slot that the CPU governor has. What does this mean? It means that the CPU governor is taking too long to think about ramping up the speed of the CPU. I eventually see a kernel update in the future that will update some things with the CPU governor.

What will this mean for battery life? Unfortunately, I do see battery life suffering a bit with some CPU governor tweaks since the CPU will be ramping up in speed more often thus causing the CPU to use more power.

garublador

May 20, 2013
Visit site
There's a video out there where they show the lag compared to a Nexus 4. The S4 actually does most everything except starting the camera, faster but the animation is choppier. So even though it's "lagging" it's still performing better.

My Droid X2 actually lagged where there was a delay between me doing something (changing home screens or zooming in maps) and the device responding, but my S4 has not done that. The animation isn't smooth 100% of the time but it's still super responsive.

Valkaneer

May 22, 2013
Visit site
There's a video out there where they show the lag compared to a Nexus 4. The S4 actually does most everything except starting the camera, faster but the animation is choppier. So even though it's "lagging" it's still performing better.

My Droid X2 actually lagged where there was a delay between me doing something (changing home screens or zooming in maps) and the device responding, but my S4 has not done that. The animation isn't smooth 100% of the time but it's still super responsive.

Most all the sites like phonedog and eva, pocketnow all says they really could see it when in side by side comparison with the HTC One. The issue is not is it fast, the issue is for the money spent on a flagship phone like the S4 with the post powerful benchmarks out there the phone should not lag at all. Yet it does.

garublador

May 20, 2013
Visit site
Most all the sites like phonedog and eva, pocketnow all says they really could see it when in side by side comparison with the HTC One. The issue is not is it fast, the issue is for the money spent on a flagship phone like the S4 with the post powerful benchmarks out there the phone should not lag at all. Yet it does.
One of the way sites like those (this one included) get more hits is to be more sensationalistic than necessary about relatively unimportant things. If they were all wishy-washy and just said that any of the top phones will be excellent for most everyone then they wouldn't get as many hits. In the case of smartphones that's probably the right way to do it. It's just more interesting to read strong opinions even if they're strong opinions about things that probably don't matter to most people. You just have to keep some perspective on how it all actually applies to you.

I agree it probably shouldn't do that, but as long as it gets stuff done faster then whether or not the animation is as smooth isn't an issue for me. I rarely spend my time zooming quickly in and out in maps (the place I see it the most) so the stuttering doesn't even show up for me all that often. There are way bigger differences between the S4 and any other phone that are worth considering (e.g. storage options, camera performance, etc) before you get to how smooth the animation is, IMO. The OP asked for my experience and I gave it.

Valkaneer

May 22, 2013
Visit site
One of the way sites like those (this one included) get more hits is to be more sensationalistic than necessary about relatively unimportant things. If they were all wishy-washy and just said that any of the top phones will be excellent for most everyone then they wouldn't get as many hits. In the case of smartphones that's probably the right way to do it. It's just more interesting to read strong opinions even if they're strong opinions about things that probably don't matter to most people. You just have to keep some perspective on how it all actually applies to you.

I agree it probably shouldn't do that, but as long as it gets stuff done faster then whether or not the animation is as smooth isn't an issue for me. I rarely spend my time zooming quickly in and out in maps (the place I see it the most) so the stuttering doesn't even show up for me all that often. There are way bigger differences between the S4 and any other phone that are worth considering (e.g. storage options, camera performance, etc) before you get to how smooth the animation is, IMO. The OP asked for my experience and I gave it.

Aaron is a big Galaxy fan he has carried one since the S3. If you want to believe he hyped it up I guess that's your choice, chose not to believe the guy is lying.

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site

LULZ at AC being sensationalist at all. If you follow Phil's posts on G+ even a little bit you'll see that there are plenty of clickbait stories that never see the light of day here.

In regards to the "lag" multiple writers (ok, Jerry, Alex, and Phil) have said that they definitely notice it, but that it's been mostly overblown by people. How is that sensationalist?

Last edited:

effreyj

Sep 9, 2011
Visit site
I think that people are confused between lag and animation stutter. This is why if you disable the animations then all of the lag goes away...

skiner5246

Apr 30, 2013
Visit site
You know, I'm really struggling as to what exactly are people determining to be the "Lag" issue they are suffering from with all these posts, online artcles, etc?... Is the lag defined as; Compared to the HTC One? Switching between panel screens like Aaron from Phonedog? Opening/Closing apps? What exactly? I'm sorry, but I just don't see it. I simply followed some friendly advice found here in the forums, made some minor adjustments in developer options, (and coupled with AT&T ota update) haven't noticed any lag. This device simply does alot of things. I am satisfied with the performace of my S4 and I simply chalk up any "percieved lag" and such to just that. Now granted, I don't do a whole lot of multi-tasking, but when I do, I simply do not see any lag. Same thing on switching between applications. All I can say is for me, it's not an issue. I guess everyone is diferent and I can respect that. But IMO, this lag thing is getting old. Furthermore, since Samsung is amongst the best at sending out updates, I'm confidant any issues; lag, hiccups, stuttering, or whatever will be addressed in short order going forward. Lets not forget, this phone has been out for a little over a month? Yes, you can make the argument, "so has the HTC One" (actually released earlier than the S4) However, the S4 has more features on it than the One. And yes, arguably more "gimicky" features, but nevertheless some I actually find incredibly usefull, and that's why I choose it.
( No flame wars please as they are BOTH terrific devices, just me personally stating my preference that's all.) It seems like everyone wants instant gratification nowadays. Again, my opinion here but I feel this "Lag" issue has gotten a little out of hand.

berdinkerdickle

Nov 18, 2008
Visit site
I ordered mine from Amazon.
Reading the many reviews by those who posted there, I didn't notice any mention of this as being an issue with the Verizon version.
I trust as many have posted here that Samsung will address this concern.

android010

Oct 27, 2011
Visit site
I am using the international octa core version with nova launcher at its fastest speed. I can tell you that there is big lag in multiple parts of the phone like opening the camera, the apps, closing the apps,etc. My hope is that samsung will release a software update that helps speeding up the phone. I never experienced lag or crashes with my old nexus 4 but could not stand the attractive hardware of the s4.

omniusovermind

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site
I think that people are confused between lag and animation stutter. This is why if you disable the animations then all of the lag goes away...

this seems to be the general consensus way to fix it. I think people's main beef is that they have to do this at all. Hopefully all it will take is an update from Samsung to teak the animations so disabling them isn't required at all.

sooner7

Jun 18, 2012
Visit site
We shouldn't have to disable transition animations to get a smooth experience.

It's sad when beta AOSP roms are smoother and more fluid than Samsung's stock rom. I had to install a custom kernel on my S4 to tone down the lag, and even then, it is still there.
Since installing the kernel my phone is smooth, but if I did not root/rom, I would NOT have this phone right now.

Don't flame me.. I have had 3 out of 4 of the S series devices. But I want Samsung to get it's software act together, the S4 UI looks like a highly refined version of Touchwiz found on the gingerbread Galaxy S.

planoman

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
So out of a 16 minute video that points us to 3:40 and there is no lag shown at 3:40. In fact, the video pretty much shows the S4 doing very well against a Nexus 4 which most people agree is very smooth and does not have touchwiz.

Not that I had any doubts...tonight I pulled out my Nexus 4 and Note 2 and did many comparisons similar to the video. Opening the camera app, other apps, app drawer etc like we saw in the video above.

The S4 was consistently faster or tied with the Nexus 4 at these tasks, consistently tied or a tad slower on the camera opening than the Note 2 and tied with the iphone 5 on camera opening up. Remember the iphone camera app opens quicker but the shutter opening simulation takes a few fractions of a second to be ready to take a picture. Scrolling is about the same on all, very smooth and fluid.

To be sure I know this is anecdotal and not scientific and I felt quite silly doing it because it really does not prove anything to doubters. I did not do it to convince the doubters out there, I did it to the ones that are new to this device or thinking of getting this device and may not be sure what to believe. They should have confidence that the S4 is a top notch device and they can be sure it will perform well. With future tweaks and updates it will be even better. Someone reminded me today that the note 2 has a few updates before it was as rock solid as it is today!

Attachments

• P1030958.jpg
    P1030958.jpg
    606.7 KB · Views: 49
Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
samahmed336699