10-01-2013 11:17 PM
105 12345
tools
    Really that's your answer? How about trying to be helpful?
    I agree, it doesn't hurt to be civil.
    05-29-2013 08:40 PM
    I tried the Verizon S4 for about a week and went back to my Note 2. Here is the thread I started over in the Verizon S4 forum.

http://forums.androidcentral.com/ver...-note-2-a.html

I told myself I would give the S4 a good week of use before I decided if I would keep it or go back to my Note 2. Well, after a full week I'm sorry to say I'm going back to my Note 2. Don't get me wrong, the S4 is a great phone. The resolution and colors of the screen is the best I have ever seen. The camera features, while a bit gimmicky, are fun to play with. The thinness and lightweight of the phone are incredible for a 5" phone. The IR blaster will definitely come in handy.

BUT, there were a few things that made me go back.

First and fore most is the screen size, while 5" is a big screen by almost anyone's standards, coming down from 5.5" was just to big a drop. I believe it's a 22% difference in screen viewing area. The massive Note 2 screen makes people's jaws drop when I pull it out and since I use the hell out of my camera, I'm always showing off the pics I take, so the bigger the screen the better. The dreaded "S4 lag" wasn't too bad on my phone, but it was noticeable a few times. The battery life was decent, but once again I was spoiled by the Note 2. Under light/heavy use I got about 27/14 hours out of the S4 and with the Note 2 I got about 36/20 hours. Any one of these things by themselves and I probably just would have kept it, but all three together and I had to go back.The thing i will probably miss the most is the insane resolution. You can't really tell a difference when looking at pictures or videos, but it is definitely noticeable when your on a website with small text.

I'm not selling the phone but will instead give it to the wife to replace her S3, so I will still stop by here every once in a while. Later!
    TomsAndroid likes this.
    05-29-2013 08:48 PM
    op... Isn't this your fault for simply having to have the latest phone all the time? How about growing up and just finding a phone that suits you instead of trying to be mr. Cool and saying "i have the latest device!"???

seriously ??
    05-29-2013 08:52 PM
    For people that say that there is no lag either type very slowly or have very low standards.
    Wrong. I type very quickly, and use SwiftKey, and I've experienced no lag.
    TomsAndroid and 20blks like this.
    05-29-2013 08:58 PM
    I went from iPhone 5 to the LG Optimus G pro for 14 days. it was a tad Too big for me and traded it on day 14 for the S4.
    I do not have ANY of the air features on, I do not have S voice "wake up command" on. I don't want my phone always listening / waiting for a command word.
    I don't have any of the Eye features on.
    There might be a Very "slight" hesitation once in a while, but overall. I can't find that lag in the S4.
    I type very fast and my phone keeps up with me every step of the way.

I do have to wonder though. Everyone who upgrades on any carrier (other than T mobile?) gets a 14 day return policy. Why not take back phones within this time period if you aren't happy?
    I did, and it worked out for the best for me. I fricken LOVED the LG OGP. I still think its the best phone on the market right now. If it were 5" instead of 5.5", it would be THEE best phone ever made.
    It's fast, lag free, has some Great features, and a BEAUTIFUL screen.

Since the 14 day return policy wasn't executed. You have a phone that sells for $639 full retail. Sell it for 90% of full retail and Buy another Note 2 outright.
    That seems to be your best bet at this time. You said you also have the LG OGP and it appears you like the Note 2 even better than the LG for whatever reason...

I'm really not being a ****** here. I just honestly fell that it doesn't take 14 days to know if you like something or not. Return what you aren't happy with.
    Notsosure likes this.
    05-29-2013 09:47 PM
    I have no lag and its true. Sounds like you have a bad unite. Return it. Only time I see lag is when apps are updating or getting installed.
    If opening your cam has a micro second delay its normal considering all the features. I think this lag complain is we over exaggerated. Reminds me of antenna gate with ip4 lol

Guys who say there is no lag on this phone excuse me to say that this is not true. This phone is sadly full of lag. I am not using the touchwiz launcher which is way way slower than 3rd party launchers ! I use Nova launcher with fastest speed.

I experience lag all the time: lag when opening the play store app, when opening the camera app, the gallery, after entering the password/pin key, after closing apps. I love the camera and screen of this phone and that is what is keeping me using this phone. Otherwise, I see that samsung did an awful job with the software.

Let alone crashes, sudden restarts, and serious lack of internal storage.

The hardware of this phone is very good but the software is pretty awful
    05-29-2013 09:48 PM
    Thanks for the replies in this thread, at least to the civilized replies.

My main purpose of this thread was for people who currently have a Note 2 and thinking about getting a GS4 to think twice and do a lot of reading before making the decision, and also why I came to that conclusion. For the most part we have a good discussion going on here.

Someone here made a good point that the lag issues could possibly be from a combination of Android 4.2.2 and all the extra crap that Samsung included with the phone. That would explain why the HTC One and the LG Optimus G Pro are so fluid compared to the GS4 being as they are running 4.1.2.

As I said earlier, my LGP runs circles around my GS4. A good test for anyone to try. Have a GS4 and LGP side by side. Take a picture with the GS4 and then with the LGP, you will definitely see the camera lag on the GS4. The LGP is extremely quick and you barely notice it even took the picture.

As far as the keyboard lag, I've seen some reference to Kii Keyboard. I'm gunna give that a try, although I doubt the keyboard lag is an issue with Swiftkey, but I'll give it a shot.

But for the overall lag, there are way more people who have complained from lag as opposed to the people who say they have none. I doubt that many people got defective phones. I pretty much think the people who say they have to no lag are just not observant enough to actually notice. No offence to anyone, but I highly doubt the claims of no lag.
    05-29-2013 11:19 PM
    Before my days of perusing android forums such as these, I thought my GS2 was the only one that used to have lag. Seems to me now that it's somewhat of a chronic, re-occurring issue with Samsung phones? My GS2 had annoying delays with the camera button as well. I have a 16 month old daughter so you can imagine the frustration of trying to take a picture where she actually was focused and staying still. Opening my gallery to upload pictures onto Dropbox or Facebook often times experienced severe lag (up to 10 seconds of waiting for galleries to load). Looks like these issues are still being faced by some owners with the GS4. Not sure why something as rudimentary as this has not been resolved yet in Touchwiz. Are people experiencing this lag even if they are using a 3rd party launcher?
    05-30-2013 12:29 AM
    ive been using s4 almost 2 weeks now. change my touchwizz launcher to next launcher ver 1.32. experiencing no lag whatsoever.
    20blks likes this.
    05-30-2013 02:25 AM
    Camera lag is directly relayed to SD card speed.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk 4 Beta
    20blks and JanetteV like this.
    05-30-2013 03:58 AM
    OP... isn't this your fault for simply having to have the latest phone all the time? How about growing up and just finding a phone that suits you instead of trying to be Mr. Cool and saying "I have the latest device!"???
    That is kinda a here answer that doesn't help anyone there's so many people that bought the s4 because they like having the newest tech, I agree with everything the op said I sold my s4 to get the one and couldn't be happier

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 2
    05-30-2013 04:54 AM
    SO, to sum up this thread: The Note 2 is the King. Rock on, my S Pen toting brothers and sisters!
    sux2bu likes this.
    05-30-2013 06:41 AM
    If you have to be THAT observant to notice lag.. Maybe the issue is you... Claiming that im not observant enough to notice the lag is equal to me claiming you don't know how to use your phone....

I have no lag means i have no lag. I do get some lag when downloading apps etc. Never used an LGP but i did try my friends HTC one yesterday (amazing phone) and also gets some lag when his apps are updating.

But for the overall lag, there are way more people who have complained from lag as opposed to the people who say they have none. I doubt that many people got defective phones. I pretty much think the people who say they have to no lag are just not observant enough to actually notice. No offence to anyone, but I highly doubt the claims of no lag.
    05-30-2013 08:17 AM
    My s4 is perfect. I think it runs amazing coming from the s2. Get rid of your bloat and turn off your animations.
    Btw all Samsung devices running touch wiz have some sort of lag. You learn to just enjoy your phone and stop complaining.
    crester likes this.
    05-30-2013 08:44 AM
    No lag here also, rooted and disabled all the bloatware and turned off all the air gesture gimmicks!
    05-30-2013 08:48 AM
    I've had all the Galaxy line of phones on AT&T since the Galaxy S, and some other phones in between.

I was happy with my Note 2, I loved the size and never had an issue with it. But unfortunately I am one of those types that always have to have the latest phone. So I traded in my my Note 2 at Best Buy, which gave me a really good trade in value that payed for the GS4 and then some.
    Sounds dubious. BB is not known for being generous for anything. If you were happy you should have kept what you had. It was pretty clear that the GS4 was an incremental upgrade...

Guess you missed out on the parable of the dog and his reflection when you were growing up:

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_D...Its_Reflection

The lag issues are beyond infuriating. I have the usual lag in the OS, even with Apex Launcher, but that is somewhat livable.
    There is a work-around for UI lag here:

http://m.androidauthority.com/samsun...tricks-207516/

You still have time to be a better example for your 4 year old. They really do emulate us. Take that parable to heart. It is a good life lesson.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Android Central Forums
    05-30-2013 09:05 AM
    Stop using touchwiz and try another launcher. You made a decision on your own. How can someone fix it for you? People are starting to complain way too much here. If you don't like the phone (you were already happy with the note 2) just go get another phone again. Some of these posts are hard to read. Smh

Posted via Android Central App
    Welcome to the internet...

He did say "even on Apex" btw
    05-30-2013 11:53 AM
    coming from the note 2 myself . it reminds me of a smaller note anyways. my experience is im getting about as good of battery life as well. my only complaint is the phone is too light.
    05-30-2013 11:57 AM
    my only complaint is the phone is too light.
    that's not a complaint for me... love that it's lightweight XD...

of course, that's my personal opinion and i do respect yours...
    05-30-2013 12:18 PM
    that's not a complaint for me... love that it's lightweight XD...

of course, that's my personal opinion and i do respect yours...
    i like the design and the thinness but i prefer a bit of weight like the htc one has.
    05-30-2013 12:49 PM
    I do not want to be flamed, I used Android for 3 years and got so tired of it before I ever got an iPhone and I am not looking back, but just going through the posts it baffles me that some S4 fans answers are just simply turn these 5 things off and the camera should work, turn these off and this will work, how can you guys put up with that? Why getting a new phone based on many new features but you have to disable these features for the phone to work? Just an honest question!

Thank you
    05-30-2013 12:50 PM
    I do not want to be flamed, I used Android for 3 years and got so tired of it before I ever got an iPhone and I am not looking back, but just going through the posts it baffles me that some S4 fans answers are just simply turn these 5 things off and the camera should work, turn these off and this will work, how can you guys put up with that? Why getting a new phone based on many new features but you have to disable these features for the phone to work? Just an honest question!

Thank you
    Primarily, it isn't the "features" that need to be turned off, but instead the radios that aren't in use, ie. Bluetooth, WiFi, or data when not being use; and more times than not, these new features are really just gimmicks that reduce the phones functionability.

"Differences of habit and language are nothing at all if our aims are identical and our hearts are open. -courtesy of Albus Dumbledore, via my droid DNA.
    05-30-2013 12:57 PM

Thank you
    It's not to get the phone to work, it's to get the phone to work a certain way. Samsung has to make some assumptions about how people will use the phone and which options should be enabled by default. They can't possibly be correct all the time but giving us the options to disable these features means we're able to optimize how the phone works based on our own specific needs and desires. If you're trying to photograph a moving toddler (which is difficult even with a super fast responding camera) your needs may be different than someone who mostly takes pictures of nature and their needs will be different from someone who usually takes pictures of people posing. The latter is what seems to be the most common use of phone cameras and it seems to me like that's what the options are optimized for. That means the camera not being quite as responsive (I find it's still quite quick and I do get some decent toddler pics, FWIW), but that's not as important in that case.
    05-30-2013 01:04 PM
    It's not to get the phone to work, it's to get the phone to work a certain way. Samsung has to make some assumptions about how people will use the phone and which options should be enabled by default. They can't possibly be correct all the time but giving us the options to disable these features means we're able to optimize how the phone works based on our own specific needs and desires. If you're trying to photograph a moving toddler (which is difficult even with a super fast responding camera) your needs may be different than someone who mostly takes pictures of nature and their needs will be different from someone who usually takes pictures of people posing. The latter is what seems to be the most common use of phone cameras and it seems to me like that's what the options are optimized for. That means the camera not being quite as responsive (I find it's still quite quick and I do get some decent toddler pics, FWIW), but that's not as important in that case.
    Thank you for the response
    05-30-2013 01:13 PM
    Thank you
    05-30-2013 01:16 PM
105 12345