I regret replacing my Note 2 with the GS4.

sab3083

Dec 20, 2011
Visit site
Have had phone for 3 weeks. No lag what so ever. It snaps pics as fast as I can hit the button. And I type pretty damn fast and it gets every key I hit

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S4

Valkem

Mar 28, 2011
Visit site
Camera Lag: I have a 4 year old that I always take pictures of. There is a bad lag in between when you hit the capture button to when the camera actually takes the picture. That makes taking pictures difficult.

You sound like you probably know these phones better than I do. I don't seem to have camera lag, as a matter of fact, most of the people that use my phone to take a picture wonder if it took one. They tap the button and it doesn't appear anything happens. It barely outlines the edge of the screen in white and the picture appears in the lower corner as the small one (where you can click gallery) and it's ready for the next. Could it be a setting? I have had people tell me that the "voice command" feature causes lag since it's always waiting to hear you. I don't talk to my phone, so I turned that off in the settings. I also have it turned off on the camera.
(I'm still tinkering with settings like turning face detection on/off and action mode)

Keep in mind that I'm still tinkering and learning the Samsung set up and features. I came from an HTC sense overlay phone. I'm just bouncing an idea off ya. I haven't tried a note, seemed a little large for what I want/need, so I can't make the comparison. I have used the speed shot feature, where you hold down the button and it starts taking multiple pictures fast, saving them straight to the phone memory, rather than the SD card. It seems fast, but I haven't filled up the space yet. I wouldn't be surprised if the phones internal memory having less space would cause it more lag, but I haven't experimented with this yet.

Leilan

Aug 1, 2011
Visit site
I haven't had any lag at all and this battery life is the best I've seen in 4 years, no regrets here!

Posted via Android Central App

cormaster628

Apr 26, 2012
Visit site
My Nexus 4 doesn't have any noticeable lag, but I've heard alot of people, review sites and stuff complain about the s4 being laggy. A combination of 4.2.2 being bulky plus adding Samsung bulk definitely probably takes a hit.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

Andrawer

May 31, 2011
Visit site
Regarding "Hot"...the HTC one (m7) I had (after my N2 and before my current S4) was so hot after 15 minutes navigating via GPS/Maps I could barely hold it. That aluminum (even through a case) heats up quick and hot.

android010

Oct 27, 2011
Visit site
Guys who say there is no lag on this phone excuse me to say that this is not true. This phone is sadly full of lag. I am not using the touchwiz launcher which is way way slower than 3rd party launchers ! I use Nova launcher with fastest speed.

I experience lag all the time: lag when opening the play store app, when opening the camera app, the gallery, after entering the password/pin key, after closing apps. I love the camera and screen of this phone and that is what is keeping me using this phone. Otherwise, I see that samsung did an awful job with the software.

Let alone crashes, sudden restarts, and serious lack of internal storage.

The hardware of this phone is very good but the software is pretty awful

planoman

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
Good video from Aaron from phone dog about the s4.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UEyWvct85I4&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Android Central Forums

Glad you showed this. I have the 32 GB model so issue #1 is moot for me and was also trying to see the lag. I was trying to reproduce what he was showing and my s4 did not miss a beat. So still not sure what he meant.

The only air gesture I have turned on is quick glance and palm motion is on for screen shots. Everything else is off as I would not use them. Window, transition and animator duration are all off. I have always done that in my phones going back several phones ago including my note 2 and nexus 4.

The good news is that the more this lag stays in the news the faster and better Samsung will release an update with even better optimizations.

Sent from my Nexus 7

Last edited:

NotJustAPhone

Jan 29, 2011
Visit site
If you don't care for this thread, just move on. Don't post in this thread if you have nothing constructive to add to the discussion.

Sent from my Galaxy Note II

xlDeMoNiClx

Jan 4, 2012
Visit site
I laugh at everyone who said the S4 was lag free and perfect. I dug my heels in over a month ago with Samsung's crappy software on the S4...and I wasn't wrong.

maskedcarrot, hold out for the GE S4 ROM. It should fix everything.
I laugh at people who think that just because they had lag, that everyone else had it too.

@OP: Get the Note 2 back then. All that matters is that you're happy with the device you have.

raziel

Nov 19, 2010
Visit site
I disabled all the AT&T Bloat, did the Developer Mode tricks, and also disabled the Story App. Now it's blazing fast.

sux2bu

Aug 10, 2010
Visit site
I tried the Verizon S4 for about a week and went back to my Note 2. Here is the thread I started over in the Verizon S4 forum.

http://forums.androidcentral.com/ve...-gave-week-but-im-going-back-my-note-2-a.html

I told myself I would give the S4 a good week of use before I decided if I would keep it or go back to my Note 2. Well, after a full week I'm sorry to say I'm going back to my Note 2. Don't get me wrong, the S4 is a great phone. The resolution and colors of the screen is the best I have ever seen. The camera features, while a bit gimmicky, are fun to play with. The thinness and lightweight of the phone are incredible for a 5" phone. The IR blaster will definitely come in handy.

BUT, there were a few things that made me go back.

First and fore most is the screen size, while 5" is a big screen by almost anyone's standards, coming down from 5.5" was just to big a drop. I believe it's a 22% difference in screen viewing area. The massive Note 2 screen makes people's jaws drop when I pull it out and since I use the hell out of my camera, I'm always showing off the pics I take, so the bigger the screen the better. The dreaded "S4 lag" wasn't too bad on my phone, but it was noticeable a few times. The battery life was decent, but once again I was spoiled by the Note 2. Under light/heavy use I got about 27/14 hours out of the S4 and with the Note 2 I got about 36/20 hours. Any one of these things by themselves and I probably just would have kept it, but all three together and I had to go back.The thing i will probably miss the most is the insane resolution. You can't really tell a difference when looking at pictures or videos, but it is definitely noticeable when your on a website with small text.

I'm not selling the phone but will instead give it to the wife to replace her S3, so I will still stop by here every once in a while. Later!

mayconvert

Apr 23, 2013
Visit site
I went from iPhone 5 to the LG Optimus G pro for 14 days. it was a tad Too big for me and traded it on day 14 for the S4.
I do not have ANY of the air features on, I do not have S voice "wake up command" on. I don't want my phone always listening / waiting for a command word.
I don't have any of the Eye features on.
There might be a Very "slight" hesitation once in a while, but overall. I can't find that lag in the S4.
I type very fast and my phone keeps up with me every step of the way.

I do have to wonder though. Everyone who upgrades on any carrier (other than T mobile?) gets a 14 day return policy. Why not take back phones within this time period if you aren't happy?
I did, and it worked out for the best for me. I fricken LOVED the LG OGP. I still think its the best phone on the market right now. If it were 5" instead of 5.5", it would be THEE best phone ever made.
It's fast, lag free, has some Great features, and a BEAUTIFUL screen.

Since the 14 day return policy wasn't executed. You have a phone that sells for $639 full retail. Sell it for 90% of full retail and Buy another Note 2 outright.
That seems to be your best bet at this time. You said you also have the LG OGP and it appears you like the Note 2 even better than the LG for whatever reason...

I'm really not being a ****** here. I just honestly fell that it doesn't take 14 days to know if you like something or not. Return what you aren't happy with.

weblou

Sep 25, 2012
Visit site
I have no lag and its true. Sounds like you have a bad unite. Return it. Only time I see lag is when apps are updating or getting installed.
If opening your cam has a micro second delay its normal considering all the features. I think this lag complain is we over exaggerated. Reminds me of antenna gate with ip4 lol

Guys who say there is no lag on this phone excuse me to say that this is not true. This phone is sadly full of lag. I am not using the touchwiz launcher which is way way slower than 3rd party launchers ! I use Nova launcher with fastest speed.

I experience lag all the time: lag when opening the play store app, when opening the camera app, the gallery, after entering the password/pin key, after closing apps. I love the camera and screen of this phone and that is what is keeping me using this phone. Otherwise, I see that samsung did an awful job with the software.

Let alone crashes, sudden restarts, and serious lack of internal storage.

The hardware of this phone is very good but the software is pretty awful

maskedcarrot

Jul 27, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for the replies in this thread, at least to the civilized replies. :)

My main purpose of this thread was for people who currently have a Note 2 and thinking about getting a GS4 to think twice and do a lot of reading before making the decision, and also why I came to that conclusion. For the most part we have a good discussion going on here.

Someone here made a good point that the lag issues could possibly be from a combination of Android 4.2.2 and all the extra crap that Samsung included with the phone. That would explain why the HTC One and the LG Optimus G Pro are so fluid compared to the GS4 being as they are running 4.1.2.

As I said earlier, my LGP runs circles around my GS4. A good test for anyone to try. Have a GS4 and LGP side by side. Take a picture with the GS4 and then with the LGP, you will definitely see the camera lag on the GS4. The LGP is extremely quick and you barely notice it even took the picture.

As far as the keyboard lag, I've seen some reference to Kii Keyboard. I'm gunna give that a try, although I doubt the keyboard lag is an issue with Swiftkey, but I'll give it a shot.

But for the overall lag, there are way more people who have complained from lag as opposed to the people who say they have none. I doubt that many people got defective phones. I pretty much think the people who say they have to no lag are just not observant enough to actually notice. No offence to anyone, but I highly doubt the claims of no lag.

Yilun808

May 8, 2013
Visit site
Before my days of perusing android forums such as these, I thought my GS2 was the only one that used to have lag. Seems to me now that it's somewhat of a chronic, re-occurring issue with Samsung phones? My GS2 had annoying delays with the camera button as well. I have a 16 month old daughter so you can imagine the frustration of trying to take a picture where she actually was focused and staying still. Opening my gallery to upload pictures onto Dropbox or Facebook often times experienced severe lag (up to 10 seconds of waiting for galleries to load). Looks like these issues are still being faced by some owners with the GS4. Not sure why something as rudimentary as this has not been resolved yet in Touchwiz. Are people experiencing this lag even if they are using a 3rd party launcher?

d4n14

May 30, 2013
Visit site
ive been using s4 almost 2 weeks now. change my touchwizz launcher to next launcher ver 1.32. experiencing no lag whatsoever.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tivativa