Samsung Update!! Moving apps to SD card now possible!!

tohio

Mar 23, 2011
Visit site
This is really going to upset those who argue that an SD card is useless. It's good to see that Samsung is actively addressing the needs of their customers.

rushmore

May 3, 2011
Visit site
The reason Google got rid of it was stability and customers complaining apps did not work, either by using cheap cards, or swapping a card out. The carriers pushed for the change and Android happily obliged (per their own forum, they were going to anyway).

For most people, this change will be fine, but for others it is still a net loss of 15gb of storage, compared to a 32gb model.

Per Verizon's own tech support, apps 2sd issues were a big part of their customer support traffic.

garublador

May 20, 2013
Visit site
Per Verizon's own tech support, apps 2sd issues were a big part of their customer support traffic.
That doesn't surprise me. I found the Android implementation of the SD card iffy at best when it supported it natively. Now that the OEM's have to make their own drivers it hasn't seemed to get much better.

I'll live with my SD card for now but I won't trust it with apps. I'm hoping that in 2 years it will be easy enough to get a phone with 64GB of storage so this won't be an issue anymore.

rushmore

May 3, 2011
Visit site
For Verizon, if the same VP that assured a 32gb model was coming is driving this update, good luck on an expedient release ;)

My guess is never for a 32gb and at least two months for apps 2 sd in an update.

paintdrinkingpete

Dec 12, 2009
Visit site
Nice find. What are the chances that VZW will decline to allow this feature of the update?

Tough to say, though you know they'll want to test it extensively before rolling it out. Even if they do approve it, I wouldn't expect this to come to Verizon models any time soon.

The reason Google got rid of it was stability and customers complaining apps did not work, either by using cheap cards, or swapping a card out. The carriers pushed for the change and Android happily obliged (per their own forum, they were going to anyway).

For most people, this change will be fine, but for others it is still a net loss of 15gb of storage, compared to a 32gb model.

That doesn't surprise me. I found the Android implementation of the SD card iffy at best when it supported it natively. Now that the OEM's have to make their own drivers it hasn't seemed to get much better.

I'll live with my SD card for now but I won't trust it with apps. I'm hoping that in 2 years it will be easy enough to get a phone with 64GB of storage so this won't be an issue anymore.

The problem is that many "average" users don't understand the inherent drawbacks to installing *permanent* apps onto *removable* storage. SD cards get removed, unmounted, and sometimes simply fail. It's hard for devs to code for storage locations that may or may not be there (I didn't say impossible). Folks often don't understand why suddenly certain apps and or widget won't run when swap card or mounted their SDCard to the their computer.

Granted, now that Android uses MTP for USB to computer connections, some of those issues may be eliminated, since folks won't lose SDCard access when their device is mounted as removable storage, but it does still present some issues.

I mean, if you're rooted, it's actually quite easy to move apps to SD yourself if you understand how to link the directories (for example, I have Google Music save all my pinned songs to SD) -- but I totally understand why Google/Android wanted to move away from that feature. None the less, it does seem that even with 16GB of storage (or 9GB of *usable* storage), that the need to move apps to higher-capacity removable storage still exists...it would probably just work better if the majority of folks clamoring for it actually understood *why* it may cause issues, and how to mitigate the potential issues themselves. Not necessarily referring to folks here reading this forum, but more the 99% of other folks that don't have as much of a technical interest.

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site
This is really going to upset those who argue that an SD card is useless. It's good to see that Samsung is actively addressing the needs of their customers.

Tohio it doesn't upset me at all. I'm glad there are still people that understand the inherent drawbacks of SD cards being used for app storage.

I guess it's good that they're doing this, but I bet the first day it's rolled out to a large amount of users we'll have threads pop up about apps not working right.

Not trying to be negative, but scan the topics of these forums real quick and note the people having problems with the SD card.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Suda

Mar 13, 2013
Visit site
Release phone with too little storage, get criticized. Rectify said problem with feature that's been absent from Android, get criticized.

Damned if you do, damned if you don't.

RenoD2010

Mar 31, 2011
Visit site
Nice move Sammy. now you wanna call the folks across the street at LG and tell them to do the same:D

From my LG Optimus G E970

Jennifer Stough

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2013
Visit site
Its not really being criticised, as much as it is being questioned. There was a reason it was removed from the android features. It really did cause problems. If you ever had an sd card go corrupt, you know what I'm talking about. While it is great that Samsung is addressing their userbase's concerns and trying to amend them, it needs to be known that it could potentially cause more problems than it fixes.

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Umm... you really need to read this through, guys... Yes, there's an update available that brings back the App-2-SD capability BUT it has to be enabled by the app dev, so this won't mean that you'll be able to move just any app. Anyone wanna bet how many devs will take the trouble of coding this in? Considering the 'vast amount' (sarcasm) that implemented secondary downloads (i.e. game data) to SD, which is possible with the current implementation, I'd say not many...

International Samsung Galaxy S4 updated with apps-to-SD support, visual changes | Android Central

paintdrinkingpete

Dec 12, 2009
Visit site
Release phone with too little storage, get criticized. Rectify said problem with feature that's been absent from Android, get criticized.

Damned if you do, damned if you don't.

I'm not criticizing either (though I do think more carriers should have the 32GB option). Still though, here's the thing...

For those that do criticize that phone was released with too little storage, the point is that allowing apps to SD isn't necessarily the solution thy were looking for...the *real* solution to the problem would be to make higher capacity models more readily available for those that want/need them.

I think most would agree that allowing this functionality is a good thing for those with storage concerns, but only if it is implemented in a way that doesn't create more problems than the issues is attempting to address.

rushmore

May 3, 2011
Visit site
That summation is a tad simplistic and not mutually inclusive as far as darned either way.

The storage issue would be mitigated out of the gate if Samsung did not want to expedite the launch and minimize production of 32gb models. Samsung created the supply constraint due to their mass roll out rather than regional as last year.

Apps 2sd is an unstable feature for obvious reasons to a lot of people in these forums. Android killed it and now an OEM is bringing it back due to their own decisions for the 16 model free storage and the constrained supply of 32 models.

Samsung is hardly a victim here.

GrooveRite

Sep 30, 2010
Visit site

Main reason why I stick with them! They give me a device that allows me to do whatever the hell I want with it! Screw your walled gardens and aluminum cases!!