Screen just went black and only briefly blinks when turned on.

Tshanda

Jun 9, 2013
Visit site
My brand new S4 just kicked the bucket I think. I was playing a game on it one moment, then went out side to get my bike and tried to turn the phone on to get Endomondo going only to find out that my screen was not working, as the two buttons lit up and the bubble sounds were there and I could hear the swipe gesture sound on unlock but the screen itself was black.I tried to press right side button a couple of times but the screen only flashed for a brief second at the bottom of the phone; I did battery pull, tried to press and hold power button, nothing works. I do have screen protector and light casing.

Is this thing dead or does anyone have any experience of bringing phone back from this???

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
My brand new S4 just kicked the bucket I think. I was playing a game on it one moment, then went out side to get my bike and tried to turn the phone on to get Endomondo going only to find out that my screen was not working, as the two buttons lit up and the bubble sounds were there and I could hear the swipe gesture sound on unlock but the screen itself was black.I tried to press right side button a couple of times but the screen only flashed for a brief second at the bottom of the phone; I did battery pull, tried to press and hold power button, nothing works. I do have screen protector and light casing.

Is this thing dead or does anyone have any experience of bringing phone back from this???

I would take it to where you made the purchase. Should be replaced under warranty.

Sent from a M.O.A.R. Galaxy S3

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
It may also be a bad application. A reset may be a good move right now.

Sent from a M.O.A.R. Galaxy S3

rey4613

Jun 9, 2013
Visit site
My s4 also just did this yesterday. My phone runs completely normal except the screen is black. I can still use s voice to set alarms and can accept calls, but I don't know who's calling. No screen protector. Have not found the cause..

Tshanda

Jun 9, 2013
Visit site
My s4 also just did this yesterday. My phone runs completely normal except the screen is black. I can still use s voice to set alarms and can accept calls, but I don't know who's calling. No screen protector. Have not found the cause..

I was looking around and found some interesting stuff on XDA forums, it seems like in some cases this big screen of S4 might allow some flex on gorilla glass, which takes it just fine, but the AMOLED display itself cracks behind the glass and that is what causing this blackout; some people describing cases when they left it sitting on a night stand and coming back to green lines on black screen, not sure if this is something of a delayed response to a shock or something like that, because in my case my phone was fine - I put it in my shorts front pocket and went outside - when outside I pulled it out of the pocket to turn it on - alas, it was dead already; happened in a span on 3 minutes and with in 10 feet, distance wise. No damage on the glass itself or body of the phone.

Any one else had this or heard about it?