WWDC 2013?

JHBThree

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
Have you read the book about Steve Jobs' by Walter Isaacson? Apple DOES think they're the most innovative company in the history of the world. And they desperately want the consumer to feel the same way. You might not have heard them use those phrases in the keynote on those specific features, but to honestly believe they don't think those things would be to ignore facts. Unless of course Steve Jobs and Jony Ive were liars in their interviews for that book. OR if they were grossly misquoted or what they said was taken out of context.

Welcome to marketing 101. In case you hadn't noticed, that book was a marketing vehicle for apple. There is also the fact that apple DOES innovate, and has an extensive history of doing so. I mean, for gods sake, computers as we know them would not exist were it not for them. That's where that attitude comes from.

SCjRqrQCnBQ19QoYCtdl

Jul 29, 2011
Visit site
Ehhh their autocorrect algorithms are still better than anything else out there.

Really? All I ever heard was people cursing their iOS autocorrect? But I guess you wouldn't hear people bragging about it though. I don't have much recent experience with it to be honest. The only iPhone I ever had was the original. It was the best phone of the day, but trying to remember specifics about it is pretty tough.

JHBThree

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
Really? All I ever heard was people cursing their iOS autocorrect? But I guess you wouldn't hear people bragging about it though. I don't have much recent experience with it to be honest. The only iPhone I ever had was the original. It was the best phone of the day, but trying to remember specifics about it is pretty tough.

Yes really. On the iPhone I could look away, type what I wanted, and the phone would correct it to what I actually wanted to say. On another phone it came out as gobbildy-gook. Most people curse it because its set to correct profanity and similar words as a default. The more you use it, though, it learns your style and will stop doing it.

dave25A

Jun 2, 2013
Visit site
My apps never were closed down. My wife went from the 4s to using my iPhone 5, hating it, and now happily owning the HTC One.

You mean on the S4? I think the only way for me to find out is to plunge into the deep end and get the S4, think I'm just being a little reluctant because Android is new to me.

SCjRqrQCnBQ19QoYCtdl

Jul 29, 2011
Visit site
Welcome to marketing 101. In case you hadn't noticed, that book was a marketing vehicle for apple. There is also the fact that apple DOES innovate, and has an extensive history of doing so. I mean, for gods sake, computers as we know them would not exist were it not for them. That's where that attitude comes from.

That is a pretty tall claim, unless you mean it in the same way as say "Cars as we know them would not exist if it were not for Ford" Ford did innovate to a remarkable degree, but it isn't like we wouldn't have gotten to a very similar place without them. .

I mean that is probably true to some extent, kind of a butterfly effect that changes everything in subtle way, but the essence of the thing would be quite similar I think.

LegalAmerican

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site

Wait. Before you were saying that Apple doesn't make those claims, now you're chalking it up to marketing. I understand the marketing side, and I see the value of it. I was just pointing out that your claim that you made earlier is very much untrue.

JHBThree

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
That is a pretty tall claim, unless you mean it in the same way as say "Cars as we know them would not exist if it were not for Ford" Ford did innovate to a remarkable degree, but it isn't like we wouldn't have gotten to a very similar place without them. .

I mean that is probably true to some extent, kind of a butterfly effect that changes everything in subtle way, but the essence of the thing would be quite similar I think.

Given the history of how the PC came about, it's an accurate statement. The GUI Xerox was sitting on would have languished in their labs, because they didn't think it meant anything. Without that critical step of apple buying it from them, the PC wouldn't be the same.

SCjRqrQCnBQ19QoYCtdl

Jul 29, 2011
Visit site
Yes really. On the iPhone I could look away, type what I wanted, and the phone would correct it to what I actually wanted to say. On another phone it came out as gobbildy-gook. Most people curse it because its set to correct profanity and similar words as a default. The more you use it, though, it learns your style and will stop doing it.

What is your experience with swype and swiftkey? I find swype to be pretty effective at auto correct and swift key pretty phenomenal at predictive text.

JHBThree

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
Wait. Before you were saying that Apple doesn't make those claims, now you're chalking it up to marketing. I understand the marketing side, and I see the value of it. I was just pointing out that your claim that you made earlier is very much untrue.

Apple doesn't. Jobs and Ive do. There's a difference there.

JHBThree

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
What is your experience with swype and swiftkey? I find swype to be pretty effective at auto correct and swift key pretty phenomenal at predictive text.

I hate Swype.

Swift key is okay, but it seems to take a while to learn and adjust to your typing style. I like some of swift keys sliding gestures though.

SCjRqrQCnBQ19QoYCtdl

Jul 29, 2011
Visit site
Given the history of how the PC came about, it's an accurate statement. The GUI Xerox was sitting on would have languished in their labs, because they didn't think it meant anything. Without that critical step of apple buying it from them, the PC wouldn't be the same.

Yeah, I don't buy that it would have languished there forever and/or never surfaced anywhere else.

Wikipedia - In 1981, Xerox Corporation introduced the Xerox Star workstation, officially known as the "8010 Star Information System". Drawing upon its predecessor, the Xerox Alto, it was the first commercial system to incorporate various technologies that today have become commonplace in personal computers, including a bit-mapped display, a windows-based graphical user interface, icons, folders, mouse, Ethernet networking, file servers, print servers and e-mail. It also included a programming language system called Smalltalk.

So, here was a system that "someone" knew was worth something, or they wouldn't have developed it. It just happens that Apple was the group that fell upon it at an opportune time. If they hadn't, someone else would have soon enough.

Inventions/developments etc. come about and become popularized because they are of the time. Examples such as inventions of automobiles, telephones and many other things that come forth in more than one place at similar times.

swent1

May 19, 2013
Visit site
Ok, I have been really thinking and at one point decided to get the S4. I currently have the iPhone 4S, but I want something with more customisation, more options, battery battery life. However I also want a phone that is reliable and will not keep breaking down on me over the next 2 years, I don't mind a little lag hear and there, just so long as it doesn't force close my apps all the while.

I went from a 4s also. My apps have not once closed on me on the s4, and I just downloaded a clock widget that let's you completely customise the look of your clock (I'm a big lover of clock widgets) and it just made the look and feel of my phone so much better and suited for me, I couldn't go back to iPhone because I love the amount of customisability, it's amazing. Its been incredibly reliable and the battery life lasts me about two days now. The lag is around a second, I'm just nit picking lol.

Sent from my SGH-I337M using AC Forums mobile app

Attachments

• 1370979875285.jpg
    1370979875285.jpg
    49.2 KB · Views: 25

SCjRqrQCnBQ19QoYCtdl

Jul 29, 2011
Visit site
I hate Swype.

Swift key is okay, but it seems to take a while to learn and adjust to your typing style. I like some of swift keys sliding gestures though.

Why do you hate swype, and regardless of your hatred, how do you find the autocorrect in comparison to iOS? Do you hate it becuase the auto correct isn't up to speed, or do you not know if the auto correct compares becuase you don't use it becuase you hate it?

dave25A

Jun 2, 2013
Visit site
I went from a 4s also. My apps have not once closed on me on the s4, and I just downloaded a clock widget that let's you completely customise the look of your clock (I'm a big lover of clock widgets) and it just made the look and feel of my phone so much better and suited for me, I couldn't go back to iPhone because I love the amount of customisability, it's amazing. Its been incredibly reliable and the battery life lasts me about two days now. The lag is around a second, I'm just nit picking lol.

Sent from my SGH-I337M using AC Forums mobile app

That looks nice :) much more customisable than my current 4S, I would use widgets, background wallpaper maybe a live wallpaper and what ever else is customisable really. I hear that you can change the launcher and install something different from TouchWiz. This is making me me excited to get the S4.

JHBThree

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
No.....Ive is a HUGE part of Apple and so is Jobs' mentality. I have seen Apple commercials so I can't quite buy what you're selling here.

Oh you've see commercials? So you must be an authority on all things apple then, what with the 60 second bites of marketing that make you an expert?

JHBThree

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
Why do you hate swype, and regardless of your hatred, how do you find the autocorrect in comparison to iOS? Do you hate it becuase the auto correct isn't up to speed, or do you not know if the auto correct compares becuase you don't use it becuase you hate it?

Swype is not a natural or intuitive way to enter text. The autocorrect on Swype isn't very good, but I dislike it because of what I said in the first sentence.

LegalAmerican

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
Oh you've see commercials? So you must be an authority on all things apple then, what with the 60 second bites of marketing that make you an expert?

I never claimed to be an expert at anything. I just said that i've seen too many of their commercials to buy your bunk that they don't think they're innovative. You tried to shift the conversation from whether or not they're innovative, to their marketing tactics. I never claimed to have a handle on marketing, and I never welcomed anyone to "Marketing 101".

Sorry, i'm just not going with your story. They think they're innovative and revolutionary, and they want you to think the same thing. Problem is, they haven't ever been very revolutionary, they've just bought other company's innovations and made slight changes. (some for the better -xerox gui-, some for the worse -siri-)

Edit: I actually will give them credit for what they did with the music industry. iTunes and iPod was revolutionary.

neonworm

Apr 10, 2013
Visit site
Ehhh their autocorrect algorithms are still better than anything else out there.

It is actually not. Swiftkey has a better autocorrect than the iPhone keyboard. Sometimes the iPhone keyboard doesn't even autocorrect some words.

Posted via Android Central App

SCjRqrQCnBQ19QoYCtdl

Jul 29, 2011
Visit site
Swype is not a natural or intuitive way to enter text. The autocorrect on Swype isn't very good, but I dislike it because of what I said in the first sentence.

Swype is not natural or intuitive to you, perhaps. I don't think you can say that as a general rule. There is nothing inherently natural or intuitive about peck typing either. It is just what most are accustomed to. I don't know that you have any support for saying the auto correct isn't very good. I can't say in comparison to iOS as I haven't used iOS extensively for many years. I see others disagree though, so I can't say it is definitive either way.