S4 over One

tohio

Mar 23, 2011
Visit site
Um, I am running 4.2.2 on my One.

Well Google is trying to kill off the S/D slot...

I guess you misunderstood the OP's question as well.

BTW how are you running 4.2.2? Are you rooted? You wouldn't want to mislead anyone into thinking that 4.2.2 was officially available for the HTC One would you? ;)

Love Divine

Apr 24, 2011
Visit site
Most likely it's due to being used to the Samsung ecosystem/software. Being comfortable with your phone goes a long way. In reality, both phones are great. Very few people had the chance to actually try both like me and choose their favorite.

The reason more S4s sell is due to advertising, plain and simple.

tohio

Mar 23, 2011
Visit site
Most likely it's due to being used to the Samsung ecosystem/software. Being comfortable with your phone goes a long way. In reality, both phones are great. Very few people had the chance to actually try both like me and choose their favorite.

The reason more S4s sell is due to advertising, plain and simple.

Here we go with the "advertising, plain and simple" excuse. Do a little research and look at failed massive advertising campaigns. All the advertising in the world is not going to make a POS a best seller.

Edit: BTW what did you choose?

paintdrinkingpete

Dec 12, 2009
Visit site
1. Thus far, my experience with both HTC and Samsung phones has generally been more favorable towards Samsung.

2. SDCard support. Unless the phone ships with 64GB (or at least 32GB), almost a requirement for me.

3. Camera. S4 camera is better, hands down. I don't think anyone will argue this.

4. Carrier. I'm currently on Verizon, which didn't offer the HTC One when I was shopping. I did weigh my options regarding switching carriers and/or waiting to buy a future phone, but in the end the One really wasn't a viable option for me.

Don't get me wrong, the HTC One looks like a great device...I wish I could have tested one out. It definitely has a few advantages (at least on paper) over the S4 as well, but the reasons above are why I own an S4 and not the HTC One.

Kedar

May 3, 2010
Visit site
I don't think it's as much advertising as it is the fact that Samsung has delivered outstanding products. Brands with a track record like them are bound to sell a next generation device really well.

HTC, on the other hand, had the One S/X and Evo 3D (mediocre for flagships, imo) the past two generations. I had the original Evo, and that's why I upgraded to the Evo3D.

So while advertising does play a big part, so does brand and service recognition. With the One doing better than its predecessors, you can expect HTC's next flagship to also generate some hype for its next flagship, like the S4 has with the S3 and S2 behind its back.

garublador

May 20, 2013
Visit site
The carrier was enough to make me choose the S4 over the One. We get a ~25% discount on Verizon and at the time there was no announcements about the One coming to Verizon. I also wouldn't have wanted to wait any longer than I had to to get a new phone.

The reasons I probably would have picked the S4 if both were available are the storage and camera. For me 32GB and 16GB internal storage phones are functionally identical. It's more than I need for apps and photos and not enough for my music. With the S4 the expandable storage, even if the SD implementation is iffy, will allow me to put all the music I want on the phone. I'd have to jump to the 64GB One for it to be as good as the S4. I guess this is probably a carrier issue as well, but there's no guarantee that the 64GB would be available on Verizon. If it were this would be a reason for me to get the One.

The camera is considered to be superior on the S4. I use my phone as my only camera so when two phones are so close in specs it may have just come down to this.

bembol

Trusted Member
Jun 18, 2011
Visit site
Samsung mastered what Apple has done, in Marketing. Removable Battery, microSD.

I hate to say this but it just works. LOL *hTc One 4.1.2/No Launchers

Family & Friends who tried the One complained about...

Take the simplest task of customizing/moving Apps, you have to go to the Drawer and Lack of Menu Button & Notifical Panel.

My issue is...

Again, this is just me being anal but Album Art is important to me. I didn't have to change anything in my iTunes library and the S4 just works. It took awhile but I figured out that I had to change "Albums" in Get Info (iTunes) for example I have a few albums that are "Greatest Hits" and had to change it because it will duplicate the Artist Art.

Having said all this, I still prefer the One.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
I really like to know why people choose S4 over One?

BinGa's S4

Simple. They made a choice and it.. Was the S4. Can't really guess people's reasons.. Some could say they thought the S in the S4 looked cool..

Sent from my Sprint S3 using AC forums.

weblou

Sep 25, 2012
Visit site
I went with the S4 because it offered more. I also think the design is superior to the HTC one. Yes we all know the HTC is aluminium... Don't care. If i was going to chose a phone based on looks/design iPhone 5 is king. The S4 has a 5" screen and a battery that lasts me all day. It's so light and slim. Honestly it's a marvellous piece of engineering... All that power and screen in such a slim/light design. I'll take that any day.

It also seems to me that HTC one went very safe/boring with the phone. No extras.. it's close to being stock android. it's cool but i enjoy manufactures that try things. Today Air gestures is a "gimmick" for some. Tomorrow it could be standard on all devices. I guess i like the fact that Samsung takes a few risks and adds these sometimes crazy features lol

Let's not forget resale value. I change phone every 6 to 10 months. I want my phone to be worth something... The galaxy line keeps it's value. HTC one is going for $99 and a free $25 play store gift card or something here in Canada. The phone is not really selling here. So the S4 will get me more $$$ when it's time to sell. And then there's accessories, the S4 is so well supported it's not even funny. I don't even like cases.. but i have 3 now lol. They just look so good i had to buy them LOL.

I think both phones are win depending on what you're looking for. But for me s4 is the phone at the moment.

tohio

Mar 23, 2011
Visit site
Simple. They made a choice and it.. Was the S4. Can't really guess people's reasons.. Some could say they thought the S in the S4 looked cool..

What? He wasn't asking anyone to guess their reasons he was asking what their actual reasons were for purchasing the S4.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
What? He wasn't asking anyone to guess their reasons he was asking what their actual reasons were for purchasing the S4.

I read it differently. I thought he asked why people (generically) chose it.

Transmitted through spacetime.

ffejjj

May 14, 2012
Visit site
I really like to know why people choose S4 over One?

BinGa's S4

Dropped on their heads as young children lol

Seriously though i really think its just a matter of preference. The S4 is a very nice phone with loads of features. Some people like lcd some like amoled, some like aluminum some enjoy the plastic, Htc sense apposed to touch wiz.

The One and the S4 have plenty to offer. I am someone who like's what Htc has done with the One from the sleek design to the slimmed down software. The S4 packs a larger screen into a relatively similar sized phone...........

I guess it just boils down to choice. Two very nice phones in my opinion

tohio

Mar 23, 2011
Visit site
:)

Transmitted through spacetime.

Uh, you do realize people have been telling him why they bought the S4. There didn't seem to be any confusion about his question from the majority who have replied except those who somehow think he wanted a response from those who don't own the phone. Why they would have a clue as to why someone decided to buy the S4 is beyond me!

dkhmwilliams

May 10, 2013
Visit site
Uh, you do realize people have been telling him why they bought the S4. There didn't seem to be any confusion about his question from the majority who have replied except those who somehow think he wanted a response from those who don't own the phone. Why they would have a clue as to why someone decided to buy the S4 is beyond me!

Answers seem similar anyway you look at it.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using AC Forums mobile app

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site

So your logic is because I don't own it I can't know what others think? Lol. If i said it was my reasons I could see your point but I have friends who bought it and most of the reasons are listed in this thread ;).

Battery, screen, motions for calls, camera.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site

Perhaps they considered the same choice and chose otherwise, but still know what was in the Pro's column for their own decision.

JamesTBurns

Feb 9, 2013
Visit site
My reasons:

Better camera
Removable battery
Expandable storage
Bigger screen with small bezel
Samsung software appeared more useful than Sense

Posted via Android Central App

Trending Posts

Forum statistics