Recommended memory cards?

dave25A

Jun 2, 2013
Visit site
I've had my S4 for over a week now, however I haven't put in an SD card yet. I was thinking of getting a 32GB one. What cards would you guys recommend? Also by putting music and or videos on an SD card does that still allow me to play them through the apps on my phone? (such as the music player)

paintdrinkingpete

Dec 12, 2009
Visit site
I've had my S4 for over a week now, however I haven't put in an SD card yet. I was thinking of getting a 32GB one. What cards would you guys recommend? Also by putting music and or videos on an SD card does that still allow me to play them through the apps on my phone? (such as the music player)

This is the one I have: Amazon.com: SanDisk Ultra 32 GB MicroSDHC C10/UHS1 Memory Card with Adapter (SDSDQU-032G-AFFP-A): Electronics

Different folks will give you different opinions based on their experiences (Samsung has their own brand of SD cards that seem to work better for some folks), but I've never had an issue with SanDisk cards. I'd definitely recommend staying away from cheap generic cards though.

When the card is new, put it in the phone and format it (Settings --> More --> Storage --> Format SD Card), then plug your phone into your computer with the USB cable. You should see 2 directories now for your phone, the internal storage and the card storage. Simply copy any files you want to the SD card directory and you're good to go. Oh, and yes, any media you place on the card (music, video, pics) will be accessible to the apps on your phone.

EDIT: One other piece of advice: MicroSD cards are extremely convenient, but not always the most reliable form of storage. I've had SD cards that lasted for years with no issues at all, and others that crapped out after a few months. NEVER keep your ONLY copy of anything important on it. I generally try to back mine up to my computer every few months just to be safe.

OhAlfie

Sep 30, 2012
Visit site
I got a 32GB Sandisk for my S4 but within a couple of months the S4 kept saying the card wasn't installed. After much frustration, I went and got a PNY card that was on sales at BB and all is well. I've read that the Sandisk brand has been troublesome with the S4's for some reason. Could be due to the 4.2.2 software it has. My old S3 never had an issue using Sandisk.

paintdrinkingpete

Dec 12, 2009
Visit site
I got a 32GB Sandisk for my S4 but within a couple of months the S4 kept saying the card wasn't installed. After much frustration, I went and got a PNY card that was on sales at BB and all is well. I've read that the Sandisk brand has been troublesome with the S4's for some reason. Could be due to the 4.2.2 software it has. My old S3 never had an issue using Sandisk.

Thanks, I knew I had read about the issues with SanDisk cards. I bought the one I have now before knowing that, but mine seems to be working just fine...[knock on wood].

DSWR

Jun 5, 2013
Visit site

I also recommend SandDisk. Always get the fastest speed card you can afford. Class 10 is the highest which means data will be transferred as fast as possible. This is really useful if you plan on having any applications on the SD card instead of the phone memory (available in latest update) I've got the 64GB version of what's been linked. Not being funny but you'd be a fool to chose the 32GB over the 64GB right now... Extra ?5 for doubling your size? YES PLEASE!

Marck527

Jun 16, 2013
Visit site
I also recommend SandDisk. Always get the fastest speed card you can afford. Class 10 is the highest which means data will be transferred as fast as possible. This is really useful if you plan on having any applications on the SD card instead of the phone memory (available in latest update) I've got the 64GB version of what's been linked. Not being funny but you'd be a fool to chose the 32GB over the 64GB right now... Extra ?5 for doubling your size? YES PLEASE!

WHAT. you can transfer apps to SD do now?

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S4 GT-I9500

sophiaygsm

Jun 26, 2013
Visit site
Hi, dude ,i have been using SANDISK C10 32GB since i owned my S4. Till now i find no problem with it, and fully pleased with it ,complete with highest speed available on the market, and can enjoy music and videos comfortably, a good one..... Another good choice SAMSUNG C10 32GB on it . For me ,I prefer the previous one ,you can choose one from them ,both r no bad?.

paintdrinkingpete

Dec 12, 2009
Visit site
This was the one i was thinking about getting http://www.amazon.co.uk/Samsung-Mic...ag=hawk-future-21&ascsubtag=UUacUvbUpU2882426 At the moment there are a few accessories i'm thinking of getting, another battery as a back up for when i'm back to university after the summer and a decent pair of headphones (at the moment i find that that on some songs my in ear phones crackle)

I think that would be a good choice, though as many have mentioned, you can probably get a 64GB for not too much more $ (or "?" for those across the pond)...but that's up to you.

WHAT. you can transfer apps to SD do now?

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S4 GT-I9500

Kind of...There was an update for the International version that provided some support for moving apps to SD *IF* the app developer supported it. I'm not sure which models and/or carriers this update applies to (I'm in the US on Verizon, so I definitely do not have it). There are also a few other tricks rooted users can do, but for the most part, you shouldn't really depend on being able to move apps to SD.

Farish

Apr 29, 2013
Visit site
If you live near any Frys Electronics, they always have sales on memory cards. I bought the Samsung 32gb (class 10 and all that other yada yada) for 22 dollars about two weekends ago.

dave25A

Jun 2, 2013
Visit site
Ok thanks for the recommendations, think i'm going to go with the one i posted the link too (the Samsung card). Does anyone know the difference in design between the S3 and the S4? the reason i ask is because i've seen a case/skin i would like to get for my S4, the only problem is it says its for the S3 but no mention of the S4. I was wondering if it would still fit/work with my S4?

paintdrinkingpete

Dec 12, 2009
Visit site
Ok thanks for the recommendations, think i'm going to go with the one i posted the link too (the Samsung card). Does anyone know the difference in design between the S3 and the S4? the reason i ask is because i've seen a case/skin i would like to get for my S4, the only problem is it says its for the S3 but no mention of the S4. I was wondering if it would still fit/work with my S4?

It will not. The S3 and S4 are similar, but definitely not similar enough for sharing cases. (I own both). Trust me, you wouldn't even be able to "engineer" it to fit, it's not even that close.

dave25A

Jun 2, 2013
Visit site
It will not. The S3 and S4 are similar, but definitely not similar enough for sharing cases. (I own both). Trust me, you wouldn't even be able to "engineer" it to fit, it's not even that close.

Ok thank you for telling me this, i was going to order it and hope for the best but i wont now.

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site

I would just go with whatever brand you are familiar with. I would suggest looking at SanDisk, Kingston microSD Cards | Kingston, or PNY. Those would be the top three I would recommend.

anon6136263

Jun 24, 2013
Visit site
I bought a 32gb SanDisk for my 5 day old S4 (iphone switcher on trial basis) and had to take it back today. It kept removing itself and was annoying. Got a Samsung Pro version and it works flawlessy. Don't trust SanDisk in your S4.

Last edited:

jneusch

May 18, 2011
Visit site
I have had both a Sandisk and PNY fail on me. I have no reason why. You may want to try Samsung.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using AC Forums mobile app

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smokedog87