Phone Charging: In car vs Wall outlet.

heraldo

May 22, 2010
Visit site
When I am charging my Samsung Galaxy S4 in my home or wall charger it charges fast and quick. But when I am using a car charger, Samsung 2.0 Amp, from empty it can take over four hours to charge my phone. I downloaded an app that tells me the current to my phone and in home I am getting 1900 mah. In the car I am getting 300 mah.

How is this possible and what can I do to fix it? I thought about buying another Samsung wall charger and an inverter to plug in the car but that just seems like a lot of hassle for a problem that I shouldn't be having. It would just look silly to me.

heraldo

May 22, 2010
Visit site
Car charger is defective?

What app are you using to check charging current?

Galaxy Charging Current Lite is the name of the app and I would be inclined to think that as well about the charger. But it is multiple chargers in multiple vehicles.

nickgalaxys4

Jun 7, 2013
Visit site
Always when charging from the house or wall it will be faster, and the same thing with my car and or computer it will take hours to charge. I just always charge from my house.

heraldo

May 22, 2010
Visit site
Always when charging from the house or wall it will be faster, and the same thing with my car and or computer it will take hours to charge. I just always charge from my house.

Nick, Thanks for the reply!! However the cigarette lighter outlet is often fused with a 15A(15amps). Which translates into a 15amp draw of power. So there is more power available than could ever be used in this small application.

Upon further research, obtaining another charger(car charger) and changing the words of my google search. I have found out a few things:

1. The Samsung charger rated at 2.0 amps only charges at a 300mah rate.
2. Another charger rated at 2.1 amps charged at 560mah rate.
3. The Samsung wall charger rated at 2.0 Amps charges at 1.9 Amps.

Another forum I found, which now I cannot find, had a thread listed for a hack or kernel on the Galaxy Nexus that would allow the device to charge at whatever rate could be provided to the phone. Apparently a lot of devices are designed to recognize the power source and only allow a certain amount of draw from that source. I do not know why they do this but make chargers that go above and beyond what is actually listed on the charger. I am going to continue looking for a way around this. I certainly do hope someone could point me in the right direction with a bit more information.

thanks!

meyerweb#CB

Banned
Sep 4, 2009
Visit site
The phone (all phones, in fact), are designed to limit charging current to about 500 mA or less when they think they're connected to a computer. This is because the USB standard was never intended as a charging service, and specified a maximum current draw of 500 mA. Most computer USB ports aren't capable providing more power than this, and can be damaged by a high current draw device.

Most of the electronics industry adopted one way of determining if the phone is connected to a computer or a charger. Apple chose another, non-compatible (but patentable and licensable) way. So if you connect you phone to a charger designed for an Apple device, it will never charge at more than about 500 mA, no matter what the charge is rated at. That could explain case #2 in your post, above. It doesn't seem it would explain case #1, unless Samsung makes Apple compatible products. A very large percentage of 3rd party chargers are, in fact, designed to the Apple standard, simply because there are so many iPhones.

heraldo

May 22, 2010
Visit site
That's what I was beginning to believe. But it's ironic that I can take the same cable, because all my chargers do not have cords attached to them, that's in my car inside and plug it into the wall charger and the charge is standard.

Joi Harris1

Jul 7, 2013
Visit site
may you help me my HTC vivid only charge by the computer . when pluged into outlet it has to be a :'(certain way i have to place phone for it to charge. i brought a new charger and it works very well.

Shawncie Frieson

Jun 9, 2015
Visit site
When I am charging my Samsung Galaxy S4 in my home or wall charger it charges fast and quick. But when I am using a car charger, Samsung 2.0 Amp, from empty it can take over four hours to charge my phone. I downloaded an app that tells me the current to my phone and in home I am getting 1900 mah. In the car I am getting 300 mah.

How is this possible and what can I do to fix it? I thought about buying another Samsung wall charger and an inverter to plug in the car but that just seems like a lot of hassle for a problem that I shouldn't be having. It would just look silly to me.

I have no clue what the hell. My first gal.s3 stopped charging in car 8 weeks after I got it. 12 weeks in the house it stopped. Got a new one have had it 2 months won't charge in house and very touchy in car its bs 600.00 and all I have is crap. Wth? Now what? Walmart is not helpi g.

heraldo

May 22, 2010
Visit site
I have no clue what the hell. My first gal.s3 stopped charging in car 8 weeks after I got it. 12 weeks in the house it stopped. Got a new one have had it 2 months won't charge in house and very touchy in car its bs 600.00 and all I have is crap. Wth? Now what? Walmart is not helpi g.
I have, since this problem arose, figured out that the this is caused by the quality of the USB cable. It can either be a crappy cable or it has been damaged since new.

extraclass

Feb 13, 2011
Visit site
Not all chargers work with all USB cables. Swap the cable and/or the charger. The Samsung cable does not work with all chargers and the Samsung charger does not work with all cables. I have played around with combinations of chargers and cables this is my conclusion!

Will have to try that app!

extraclass

Feb 13, 2011
Visit site
I retrieved this from an earlier post!

I have a side job driving cars for automobile dealers and some trips are long. I have had to use my S-4 for navigation and this really drains a battery! I thought I had the correct charger in my go bag but I have had a few surprises. Some of the new cars do not have a lighter socket but most have usb ports. My Samsung cable would not charge my phone using the USB charger socket! So I have done some testing!
The Samsung charger will not work with all USB cables and the Samsung cable will not work with all USB chargers. I purchased one of those USB testers on Ebay that tells you the voltage and current and it made my experiments easier. I have not found a combination that will actually charge at more that 1000 Ma. Usually my S-4 and Tab 3 charge at around 700 to 800 Ma. If the lightening bolt is seen in the battery icon it is charging at a faster charge rate. If plugged into a USB port on my computer my S-4 charges with about 150 Ma and the lightning bolt is not visible.
Apple and Samsung use a scheme to tell the phone or tablet that the charger is capable of high speed charging. The two schemes are different in older chargers and Apple chargers may not charge your phone at a fast rate! The little cheap 2.1 Amp rated lighter chargers work fine if used with the right cable. Experiment before you hit the road for a long day.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tress