Question about MMS and Mobile Data

Othe12sid3

Jun 27, 2013
Visit site
Hi all, got my S4 fairly recently and so far I'm loving it, coming from a slow janky iPhone 4. I have a question regarding MMS and Mobile Data.

I'm the type of guy who does everything in my power to help preserve battery life and still keep all the functionality I need. To save some battery (at least I think it works) I almost always have Mobile Data turned OFF since 95% of the time I'm using Wi-Fi at home. But after noticing my 4G LTE symbol appearing right before I receive an MMS (group message), and doing some research, I realized that MMS may require mobile data (at least sending and receiving pictures). Also one time after turning mobile data on, I received a flood of MMS group texts which was bad news since it was important (the group text consists of our small business partners).

My question is, I know mobile data is required for receiving and sending pictures through MMS, but is it required for MMS period? We don't need the picture/multimedia sending capabilities at all. This is the only thing that's stopping me from turning off my Mobile Data off permanently-- besides when I'm out and about and need it of course. If it helps, and actually this is probably really important if the carriers do it differently, but I'm on the Verizon network.

P.S. If there's a way to group text with just good ole SMS instead of MMS that would work too. We almost never send pics. When our group text started it automatically used MMS, don't know why. We just need basic texting functionality.

Thanks for your help!

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Hi all, got my S4 fairly recently and so far I'm loving it, coming from a slow janky iPhone 4. I have a question regarding MMS and Mobile Data.

I'm the type of guy who does everything in my power to help preserve battery life and still keep all the functionality I need. To save some battery (at least I think it works) I almost always have Mobile Data turned OFF since 95% of the time I'm using Wi-Fi at home. But after noticing my 4G LTE symbol appearing right before I receive an MMS (group message), and doing some research, I realized that MMS may require mobile data (at least sending and receiving pictures). Also one time after turning mobile data on, I received a flood of MMS group texts which was bad news since it was important (the group text consists of our small business partners).

My question is, I know mobile data is required for receiving and sending pictures through MMS, but is it required for MMS period? We don't need the picture/multimedia sending capabilities at all. This is the only thing that's stopping me from turning off my Mobile Data off permanently-- besides when I'm out and about and need it of course. If it helps, and actually this is probably really important if the carriers do it differently, but I'm on the Verizon network.

P.S. If there's a way to group text with just good ole SMS instead of MMS that would work too. We almost never send pics. When our group text started it automatically used MMS, don't know why. We just need basic texting functionality.

Thanks for your help!

From the previous Samsung devices I've owned I feel it's safe to say mobile data is needed for MMS. It force uses it even if on wifi.. So best to keep it on.

Also btw when you are on wifi it won't hurt to leave mobile data on.. It won't use it except for MMS or if you leave the wifi coverage.

Sent from my Sprint HTC One using AC forums.

Christopher Matthews Jr

Jun 27, 2013
Visit site
Mobile data is REQUIRED to use MMS (unless you have a texting only plan that includes picture messaging). That is why you cannot send pictures over Wi-Fi only.

Tapped from my Nexus 10.1

Othe12sid3

Jun 27, 2013
Visit site
Noooooo seems like I'm screwed with turning off my Mobile Data. That sucks because I don't even need to send pics, just want the functionality of everyone being able to see who all the other recipients are (which SMS can't do as far as I know), basically group texting. Thanks for the responses guys.

I guess that brings me to my next question: Does my 4G LTE radio consume a decent amount of battery life even when it's not being used-- i.e. while I'm on Wi-Fi? If it's a negligible amount that would make me feel a little better.

Also if anyone has any good battery saving tips I'd love to hear them! That was the main point of my thread. I already use Samsung's built in Power Saver toggle, turned off all motion/air view/voice commands, and limited background processes to 4. Thanks again.

Othe12sid3

Jun 27, 2013
Visit site
Instead of enabling LTE, is there a toggle to turn it off, and just have reception for 3G?

I researched this, and I don't think so, at least on Verizon's S4 stock interface. I believe there's a specialized app that can do it, but it may cost money and I wouldn't use it anyway as I can't integrate it into the default TouchWiz toggles.

Christopher Matthews Jr

Jun 27, 2013
Visit site
I researched this, and I don't think so, at least on Verizon's S4 stock interface. I believe there's a specialized app that can do it, but it may cost money and I wouldn't use it anyway as I can't integrate it into the default TouchWiz toggles.

Let me look around, and ask some of my colleagues about this. I'll be back as soon as I have an answer!

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Mobile data is REQUIRED to use MMS (unless you have a texting only plan that includes picture messaging). That is why you cannot send pictures over Wi-Fi only.

Or the phone. My S3 used to allow MMS via wifi only... Then a update came out that required mobile data and it was like that since..

Then now with my HTC One I can send through wifi again.. Very odd.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site

Or the phone. My S3 used to allow MMS via wifi only... Then a update came out that required mobile data and it was like that since..

Then now with my HTC One I can send through wifi again.. Very odd

Christopher Matthews Jr

Jun 27, 2013
Visit site

tytlyf

Jun 20, 2013
Visit site
I've been able to receive a msg with Data off, but it wasn't a MMS msg. When a MMS msg came through, it notified me, but I couldn't view/download unless I turned on Data. So the question is, what setting isn't enabled that you aren't receiving immediate notification that you have a MMS msg waiting?

JudH

Nov 22, 2012
Visit site
Quite a bit of confusion in that link. Partly because Sprint users don't realize there is a reason THEY can send/receive MMS without mobile data. Let me try to summarize what has been gleaned.

When you send an MMS the body of the message (text and pictures) is placed on a special MMS server at the carriers end and a control message is sent via SMS that is basically a url to the actual data. The system puts it all back together at the other end. It gets more complicated when the users are on different carriers. Point being the system was designed expecting the MMS servers to be accessed internally via mobile data and doesn't normally have support for accessing via PUBLIC Internet hence no accessing via wifi only. Awhile back Sprint and Google joined forces to offer Google Voice. In order to allow GV to do MMS Sprint had to modify their MMS server logic to allow access from public Internet. A side benefit was that it allows Sprint users to send/receive MMS via WiFi alone (as can Virgin Mobile since they use the Sprint servers). Other carriers haven't done that and thus still require mobile data access to the servers. I have no idea whether they have any plans to change.

Note that on AT&T and I suspect everybody although mobile data is physically required a data plan is not required nor does the data used count as data--it is included in whatever SMS/MMS package you have or in the 20?/30? adhoc sms/mms fees.

Hopefully that explanation helps.

Christopher Matthews Jr

Jun 27, 2013
Visit site
I've been able to receive a msg with Data off, but it wasn't a MMS msg. When a MMS msg came through, it notified me, but I couldn't view/download unless I turned on Data. So the question is, what setting isn't enabled that you aren't receiving immediate notification that you have a MMS msg waiting?

Because without data on, the phone isn't 'listening', for the data packages that come over the network, in the form of MMS.

Just the same as if you were to turn on airplane mode, you wouldn't know if you were receiving SMS, as your phone isn't 'listening' to the network, to determine whether or not you have received a message.

That's about the most simple explanation I can give.

tytlyf

Jun 20, 2013
Visit site
Because without data on, the phone isn't 'listening', for the data packages that come over the network, in the form of MMS.
Not in my example. I was on wifi with Mobile Data off and received a text message followed directly by another message (MMS) which didn't download/view. But I could view it after turning on the Mobile Data. So my point was, you should be receiving notification of a MMS message when it comes in with Mobile Data off.

Christopher Matthews Jr

Jun 27, 2013
Visit site
Not in my example. I was on wifi with Mobile Data off and received a text message followed directly by another message (MMS) which didn't download/view. But I could view it after turning on the Mobile Data. So my point was, you should be receiving notification of a MMS message when it comes in with Mobile Data off.

Well, this experience is apparently not the case with others, only Sprint, it seems.

ihbsbA

May 16, 2010
Visit site
From the previous Samsung devices I've owned I feel it's safe to say mobile data is needed for MMS. It force uses it even if on wifi.. So best to keep it on.

Also btw when you are on wifi it won't hurt to leave mobile data on.. It won't use it except for MMS or if you leave the wifi coverage.

You're using mms because it allows for any length of text - SMS is limited to 140 char per message and different carriers and apps send multiple messages differently and some do it poorly. Why don't you just email? Or get everyone on WhatsApp... Seriously, that would be the better solution.

?Sent from my Sprint GS4 using Tapatalk ?
?? Formerly "Evo_girl"

ihbsbA

May 16, 2010
Visit site

This.

?Sent from my Sprint GS4 using Tapatalk ?
?? Formerly "Evo_girl"

tytlyf

Jun 20, 2013
Visit site
I'm on Verizon which is why I probably get the notification of MMS with data off and others don't. Maybe it's carrier specific

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Refer to this, as you can see why I expressed that you cannot: http://forums.androidcentral.com/t-...over-wi-fi-samsung-says-its-not-possible.html

Seems like it is meet with mixed results.

Yeah I know. I posted in that thread as well I believe. On my S3 I could.. Update came.. Couldn't MMS via wifi.. Had to have Mobile Data on (which I didn't care).

Now with the HTC One I can disable mobile data and send through wifi. Just odd.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dumpsterrentals38