Audio popping/crackling when recording video

marriedgeek

Aug 16, 2012
Visit site
I just brought home the new S4 and while everything else seems fine, I noticed random popping audio when playing back recorded videos. This happens during playback on the phone as well as on a PC. Audio playback through other apps seems perfect - it's just for video recorded with the phone. I've even tried lowering the settings, in case there's overload on the CPU causing the issue, but there was no difference.

Here's a sample of what it sounds like: 2013 07 06 13 57 37 - YouTube

Is this experienced by others? Doesn't seem hardware-related. Thanks.

shaw1234

Mar 4, 2011
Visit site
Had something similar. Turns out to just be the phone picking up noise caused by your hand on the phone. Try using a tighter grip. Also, try setting the phone down and recording audio. While resting it off my hands it works fine. No noise. Holding it I try to make sure my hands aren't rubbing the phone.

Posted via Android Central App

marriedgeek

Aug 16, 2012
Visit site
Thanks, but I'm not sure if that's my case, though I do know what you're referring to. I can let it sit on a flat surface, untouched, and it still does it. Also, I did a couple tests just now, and it's always from the bottom microphone, it seems to do it 90% of the time, and only 10% from the top. This is regardless of orientation of the phone (L and R don't switch depending which way you hold the phone, btw).

I hear no difference in the audio quality otherwise, and some videos don't have any popping at all. It's a bit annoying, though. Debating whether to exchange it but wanted to see if others had this exact issue.

marriedgeek

Aug 16, 2012
Visit site
And actually, I noticed it does it even when simply recording voice using the built-in recorder. So, doesn't even have to be a video recording.

nukwar

Jan 27, 2014
Visit site
I am experiencing the same popping and cracking noise on the video audio on my old Sprint note 2 and on my 2 new T mobile note 3. I am sending in my note 3 to samsung for repair. I hope they can fix it. On my phones it is very random. Sprint replaced my note 2 but the popping and cracking noise did not go away.

nukwar

Jan 27, 2014
Visit site
I am experiencing the same popping and cracking noise on the video audio on my old Sprint note 2 and on my 2 new T mobile note 3. I am sending in my note 3 to samsung for repair. I hope they can fix it. On my phones it is very random. Sprint replaced my note 2 but the popping and cracking noise did not go away.

DrSlump

Feb 15, 2014
Visit site
Hi, how's going your note 3 repair? My note 3 has the same issue on audio.. is it an hardware or software/firmware related problem?

gdmsndmxr

Mar 24, 2014
Visit site
I have an S4 Mini with the same issue, mostly happening on the left channel. I'm an audio engineer so currently I use Nuendo or Adobe Audition to edit these annoying pops out. I just called Samsung and they told me to do a factory reset, which I highly doubt will be the issue. My wife has the same phone so I will test with hers tonight and post my results here.

gdmsndmxr

Mar 24, 2014
Visit site
I have tested both phones. Mine is the only one that does this sound. It is intermittent but does happen mostly on the left channel but sometimes in the right. I have been told to take the phone to Samsung.

Last edited:

Aleksandar Smith

May 4, 2014
Visit site
Hi,

--- samsung galaxy S4 here ... gt i 9505 .. something like that ---

sooo annoying issue.. Your super hi hd quality cam means nothing if you have this cheap popping noise in the background. what a bug. samsung - this is not good!

Anyways, I think I have managed to minimize this issue by turning the video stabilization ON in camera settings.

here's my detailed comment on the very same issue posted on someone's video recording from you tube.
https://plus.google.com/110568013654465178316/posts/72hwXQbhitq

I am not 100% positive that this is the workaround, as I think I can still here some crackling here and there, but that's just occasionaly, only in the first video I shoot and only at the beginning of it. The second one is almost always crackling/popping free.

Let me know how this worked for you, if at all..

MC599

Jun 10, 2015
Visit site
Hello!

I found a way around it, just disable the Noise Reduction option and the popping will disappear.
I made a 4-minute recording with no crackling at all!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tress