I hate my new Galaxy S4 .. Battery life drains 1% every MINUTE of use.

trekk

Feb 1, 2012
Visit site
Re: I hate my new Galaxy s4.. Battery life drains 1% every MINUTE of use.

I agree with you 100%, I have no idea how people get this miraculous 1 day and a half with high brightness and everything on. Me and my wife both have GS4 and we get by till around 7 pm max then we have to recharge. Best solution get a spare battery and swap them when your out of charge makes life easy.

ColumbusNYC

May 3, 2013
Visit site

Brand new to Android - coming from Blackberry. First off, I love the s4 - beautiful screen, simple to use, a lot more functionality than my Blackberry. However, I agree about the battery life issue. Per the battery report: my Screen is at 81% despite turning on Auto Brightness and having the backlight go off after 15 seconds. I have Location Services off - do not use any of the Samsung gimmicks - but have Auto Sync on as I need it. I keep Twitter running in the background. I don't play music or games - just check email and Twitter a lot as well as web browse. The phone is 100% charged at 7 am and I have to re-charge it by 3.

Not sure how to get the Screen below 81%...I just ordered the ZeroLemon extended battery because worrying about having to recharge in the middle of the day is crazy. I use an Otterbox Defender case, which I really love - but that will not fit with the ZeroLemon. My other choice is to buy a few stock batteries and to switch them out during the day but the Defender case is not that simple to put on and off.

Any thoughts? Is the phone/battery defective?

garublador

May 20, 2013
Visit site

Brand new to Android - coming from Blackberry. First off, I love the s4 - beautiful screen, simple to use, a lot more functionality than my Blackberry. However, I agree about the battery life issue. Per the battery report: my Screen is at 81% despite turning on Auto Brightness and having the backlight go off after 15 seconds. I have Location Services off - do not use any of the Samsung gimmicks - but have Auto Sync on as I need it. I keep Twitter running in the background. I don't play music or games - just check email and Twitter a lot as well as web browse. The phone is 100% charged at 7 am and I have to re-charge it by 3.

Not sure how to get the Screen below 81%...I just ordered the ZeroLemon extended battery because worrying about having to recharge in the middle of the day is crazy. I use an Otterbox Defender case, which I really love - but that will not fit with the ZeroLemon. My other choice is to buy a few stock batteries and to switch them out during the day but the Defender case is not that simple to put on and off.

Any thoughts? Is the phone/battery defective?
If you have everything else turned off then the screen will be the thing that uses the most battery by far. It means the phone isn't using your battery much when the screen isn't on, or that you have the screen on a lot. How much screen time do you get before you have to charge it?

One thing you can do right away is turn auto brightness off and lower the screen brightness to the lowest setting you're happy with.

Matija Cindori

Aug 15, 2013
Visit site

Actually normal battery drain is 3% for 10 minutes with screen on and instantly surfing.

Haalcyon

Banned
Jul 19, 2013
Visit site

I love my S4 and the battery has not been a problem at all...just the opposite in fact. However, I don't use location or GPS services or bluetooth unless I need to. I was the same way with my iPhone. One of the things I love about the S4 is that you have the OPTION of getting a higher capacity battery or spare standard capacity or spare standard and higher capacity as well as getting a battery case (think Mophie). ...just so many options, I like options.

Sent from my Note 8.0 LTE

Last edited:

Relletti

Trusted Member
Feb 3, 2013
Visit site

The s4 to me could use better battery life. I usually have the screen brightness turned all the way down, plus on power saver mode. I do a lot of web browsing on it too so that could be it, but I swear this things battery drains very quick. I think I'm going to get a extra battery to keep on me just in case.

Sent from my Galaxy S IV using Tapatalk IV

Aesthete18

Jul 5, 2013
Visit site

I've been reading this thread and I think my battery is also bad but I'm not sure. I charged it to 100% and after 1 hour and 52 minutes it's at 86%. I'm on power saving and it says 33% used on google services (no idea what's that), 28% on draw something and 21% on screen. Is that bad?

ColumbusNYC

May 3, 2013
Visit site

I am torn between just getting an extra Samsung battery and charger case or getting a ZeroLemon extended battery. I don't care if the extended battery makes the device much bigger. I already use an Otterbox Defender case so it is big right now. My concern is getting off the Defender case in order to swap batteries. Not sure whether the case which comes with the ZeroLemon will give sufficient protection.

Haalcyon

Banned
Jul 19, 2013
Visit site

Its been my experience that Android devices have always been a bit power hungry. People deal with that in different ways. Could my S4's battery last longer? Yes, of course. But it lasts me long enough and I really do have some peace of mind knowing I can simply swap the battery if I want. I get most of a full day, if not more, outta it but I split my time between my S4 and this Note 8.0. I can't swap the battery on this Note 8 so I know how the HTC One and other folks feel. I saw a 10,000 mah external battery I may just pick up, 'cause it was not expensive at all.

Sent from my Note 8.0 LTE

Relletti

Trusted Member
Feb 3, 2013
Visit site

I am torn between just getting an extra Samsung battery and charger case or getting a ZeroLemon extended battery. I don't care if the extended battery makes the device much bigger. I already use an Otterbox Defender case so it is big right now. My concern is getting off the Defender case in order to swap batteries. Not sure whether the case which comes with the ZeroLemon will give sufficient protection.

Im having the same problem. Plus I just bought this neo hybrid case for my s4 and if I get the extended battery, it probably won't fit in it. The zerolemon battery is what I need though :(

Sent from my Galaxy S IV using Tapatalk IV

Pedro Souza

Sep 19, 2013
Visit site

Hello guys,
i'm facing exactly the same problem here...
I've been using my S4 for two weeks, everything was working great since I unboxed it,
but last Thursday I felt the phone warm in my pocket, when I picked it to see what's going on, I faced it with a drain of 30% of battery since the last time I checked (something about 1 hour of idle),
Since then, my phone has been drained 1% of battery per minute, and it stays constantly warm, I already factory reseted it, two or three times...
I already turned off every featured, removed SIMCARD and SD card, and the problem still happening,
I have no idea what it could be, maybe bad battery, or hardware issue, or some virus or corrupted file in the Android system leaking the battery...
I'm really sad about that, cause I have the phone for only two weeks and this problems already happens :/

Maybe I should try to root acces the device and change the ROM version, but here in Brazil it impacts the warranty (like, if you change the ROM, your warranty is gone, yes, shame.)
what should I do?

Relletti

Trusted Member
Feb 3, 2013
Visit site

Hello guys,
I've been using my S4 for two weeks, everything was working great since I unboxed it,
but last Thursday I felt the phone warm in my pocket, when I picked it to see what's going on, I faced it with a drain of 30% of battery since the last time I checked (something about 1 hour of idle),
Since then, my phone has been drained 1% of battery per minute, and it stays constantly warm, I already factory reseted it, two or three times...
I already turned off every featured, removed SIMCARD and SD card, and the problem still happening,
I have no idea what it could be, maybe bad battery, or hardware issue, or some virus or corrupted file in the Android system leaking the battery...
I'm really sad about that, cause I have the phone for only two weeks and this problems already happens :/

Maybe I should try to root acces the device and change the ROM version, but here in Brazil it impacts the warranty (like, if you change the ROM, your warranty is gone, yes, shame.)
what should I do?

You might want to take that phone back and get a new one. When I had the battery drain issue I did one factory reset and it got better. That doesn't sound good for it to be draining that much.

Tapatalking from my S4

STSVA

Aug 7, 2013
Visit site

Hello guys,

what should I do?

What does the "Settings - More - Battery" list of items using the battery show? Something must be running constantly to drain the battery like that. You could also try installing a battery monitoring/saving app. Maybe try a replacement battery as well.

KXXTINE

Sep 14, 2013
Visit site

Ive pretty much done ALL the suggestions in every forum in regards to possibly improving my S4 battery, and still havent really found a solution. I will go to bed with my phone fully charged and no joke, will wake up with my phone at 97%. The moment I start checking messages/notifications, im going towards the 80% range in just less than 30 minutes O_O I dont even have many live apps running. For the price of this phone, I dont think I, or anyone else with similar complaints, should have to do so much adjusting just to preserve battery life. I have been awake for just 2 hours, and im already seeing my battery is down to 61%! What gives? Kind of losing hope here, so I hope someone can sway me from researching anothet phone :T

Posted via Android Central App

Relletti

Trusted Member
Feb 3, 2013
Visit site

Ive pretty much done ALL the suggestions in every forum in regards to possibly improving my S4 battery, and still havent really found a solution. I will go to bed with my phone fully charged and no joke, will wake up with my phone at 97%. The moment I start checking messages/notifications, im going towards the 80% range in just less than 30 minutes O_O I dont even have many live apps running. For the price of this phone, I dont think I, or anyone else with similar complaints, should have to do so much adjusting just to preserve battery life. I have been awake for just 2 hours, and im already seeing my battery is down to 61%! What gives? Kind of losing hope here, so I hope someone can sway me from researching anothet phone :T

When you leave the phone fully charged and go to sleep, do you put it in airplane mode or turn of wifi and 4g? Mine drains like this if I don't turn these things off. Wifi and 4g are battery drainers.

Tapatalking from my S4

KXXTINE

Sep 14, 2013
Visit site

I always have airplane mode and wifi turned off as I dont really use/need then, but I didnt consider turning off 4g. Ill try that out and see what happens

STSVA

Aug 7, 2013
Visit site

I always have airplane mode and wifi turned off as I dont really use/need then, but I didnt consider turning off 4g. Ill try that out and see what happens

When you start at 97% and then drop down into the 60s, what does the Battery settting say is using the battery down from 97 to 60 something %?

Pedro Souza

Sep 19, 2013
Visit site

Here is some screen shots of my battery log:

battery log of 2h of system idle:

b5gg.png

note: the screen was OFF, it wasn't even turned on a single time! I just removed from the charger and putted the phone in my pocket to move to work, and when I realized it were warm, and droped 30% of battery doing nothing!

Look at this:
zbw5.png

here I had just woke up, removed the phone from the charger, and rebooted, when it turned on again, it just droped 80% of battery!!

Here, 4 minutes of idle:
5c7x.png

The extreme drops happened once again:
o7dl.png

m81d.png

People, I really don't know what should I do :(, but i'm really, really unsatisfied with this phone.

Last edited:

Relletti

Trusted Member
Feb 3, 2013
Visit site

Here is some screen shots of my battery log:

battery log of 2h of system idle:

http://imageshack.us/a/img41/6374/b5gg.png

note: the screen was OFF, it wasn't even turned on a single time! I just removed from the charger and putted the phone in my pocket to move to work, and when I realized it were warm, and droped 30% of battery doing nothing!

Look at this:
View attachment 82389
here I had just woke up, removed the phone from the charger, and rebooted, when it turned on again, it just droped 80% of battery!!

Here, 4 minutes of idle:
http://img202.imageshack.us/img202/5355/5c7x.png

The extreme drops happened once again:
http://img208.imageshack.us/img208/5756/o7dl.png

http://img849.imageshack.us/img849/4673/m81d.png

People, I really don't know what should I do :(, but i'm really, really unsatisfied with this phone.

My god :eek:. Ok do you have air view, smart scroll and smart pause enabled? I see the little eye icon at the top in your screen shots. Maybe one of those features are causing the massive drain?

Tapatalking from my S4

Pedro Souza

Sep 19, 2013
Visit site

I had, for two days I disabled it, and the massive drains happened again...
I'm seriously thinking in root access the device and change the ROM...
i'm just worried about the warranty...

and as our friend said, I bought this phone to use all the awesome features it supposed to have, no to disable everything to save battery....

the most weird is that:
it's warm full time, like something is using the processor,
but I've installed a process OS monitor app, and it's shows 0.5% of processor use...
man.. it's starting to break my head.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dumpsterrentals38