S4 not as good as an iPhone

Status
Not open for further replies.

pablohoney46

Jul 12, 2013
Visit site
Re: s4 not as good as an iPhone

Yes agreed - I should have. I figured though, that Google Play would assume if I purchased something from my phone, that I would probably want it on l phone, not in the Cloud that I cant access from many places. Plus - the music players cannot find any of the songs that I have successfully got onto my phone from Google Play - although the default player can play

pablohoney46

Jul 12, 2013
Visit site

Thanks mate - that's what I did eventually, but it took me a few goes to remember exactly what it is I had done to download it! Not very intuitive, but granted, I can now download easier. But still cant play the music on anything other than the default player on my S4

Aug 30, 2013
Visit site

Yes agreed - I should have. I figured though, that Google Play would assume if I purchased something from my phone, that I would probably want it on l phone, not in the Cloud that I cant access from many places. Plus - the music players cannot find any of the songs that I have successfully got onto my phone from Google Play - although the default player can play

That's because Google play music works differently, all downloaded music is stored in a cache folder and only it knows where it is. And most people use the cloud, which is why it doesn't always save to your device. Google has implemented the idea of steaming and cloud into most of its products, and that's the way it works. If you want it downloaded though, they give you the option. They work a little differently, it's certainly not apple. However, I like it better this way because I have more room on my phone

Posted by The Android Central app

pablohoney46

Jul 12, 2013
Visit site

I disagree with you that the apps on android are of less quality than iOS. Granted, choppiness and lag still exist on some android apps that aren't programmed that well. And Android is quite open, but the carriers are changing that. They're locking down everything, but the developers are working hard to unlock the phones. Personally, I only run custom. I don't like my phones getting chopped up by the carrier. That's one thing apple nails, not letting the carriers screw with the experience. Android is an amazing OS, it's just unlocking it's full capabilities

Despite my frustrations with this phone (mostly down to Google Play restrictions, and synching) I would say the apps are no worse than the IPhone. My Iphone4 lasted 2 years and is still working fine (for my daughter) but I only wanted to change for the sake of changing. I had no issues at all with my Iphone, but the ones I have with the S4 are annoying me, because I want to enjoy it!

Aug 30, 2013
Visit site

Despite my frustrations with this phone (mostly down to Google Play restrictions, and synching) I would say the apps are no worse than the IPhone. My Iphone4 lasted 2 years and is still working fine (for my daughter) but I only wanted to change for the sake of changing. I had no issues at all with my Iphone, but the ones I have with the S4 are annoying me, because I want to enjoy it!

If it's Google, it will surely sync. If it's apple to Google, it won't well. That's the way it works I'm afraid, Apple locks you down. On my android devices, all my stuff syncs flawlessly and I can stream my music on my computer (pc).

pablohoney46

Jul 12, 2013
Visit site

Android is not iPhone. There are different ways of doing certain things. It sounds like you are more comfortable with the iPhone and that is fine. Each user has their preferences. I wouldn't post an opinion statement saying the iPhone is better than the s4 because it's an opinion but more importantly you aren't going to get any help or support on this forum with a title like that.

Sent from my HTC One using AC Forums mobile app

Yeah, but I did get help and support, even with the crazy title! Imagine that :)

pablohoney46

Jul 12, 2013
Visit site

That's because Google play music works differently, all downloaded music is stored in a cache folder and only it knows where it is. And most people use the cloud, which is why it doesn't always save to your device. Google has implemented the idea of steaming and cloud into most of its products, and that's the way it works. If you want it downloaded though, they give you the option. They work a little differently, it's certainly not apple. However, I like it better this way because I have more room on my phone

Thanks again - I travel a lot, so cloud not always available. If I never left my house, or the town, that would be fine, but music staying in the cloud and not on my phone wont work for many. But at least I now have the solution for downloading it, so many thanks again for that.

willizen

Apr 26, 2012
Visit site

I disagree with you that the apps on android are of less quality than iOS. Granted, choppiness and lag still exist on some android apps that aren't programmed that well. And Android is quite open, but the carriers are changing that. They're locking down everything, but the developers are working hard to unlock the phones. Personally, I only run custom. I don't like my phones getting chopped up by the carrier. That's one thing apple nails, not letting the carriers screw with the experience. Android is an amazing OS, it's just unlocking it's full capabilities

There are some shining examples of great apps on android that are just as good as the some of the best iOS apps. Unfortunately that is not the case with most of the apps I have used.

Posted via my Nexus 7

hallda01

May 8, 2013
Visit site

Can't say I have a good argument against his Samsung Kies and iSyncr complaint. I just manually copy my music over in Android File Transfer. There's no really good way to get your music to your phone from iTunes unless you have Spotify or Google+ Music pretty much.

htabbach

Dec 26, 2010
Visit site

To the OP, I don't blame you man, I switched from Android to iOS and will never go back. Android being "Open" is the biggest overstatement in the mobile industry, yes, it is open source but unless you really root it is useless. And the fragmentation will kill you, it is hard to watch other Android phones get updates and your phone does not for months! Add to that the LAG and you will be real miserable!

Edible Walrus

Aug 30, 2013
Visit site

My phone lasts only about 10 hours, but I'm a heavy user with the screen all the way up. It all comes down to how you use the phone

Try AVG. I've set mine to trigger power save at 10% (previously 30), might extend your battery further. I had what I'd call moderate use (in reality it's probably light :p) and got 20 hours

Aug 30, 2013
Visit site

There are some shining examples of great apps on android that are just as good as the some of the best iOS apps. Unfortunately that is not the case with most of the apps I have used.

Posted via my Nexus 7

Fragmentation my friend, fragmentation. Too many devices to program perfectly for. That's the real issue. If I was a developer, I would make sure the high end devices had excellent speed and smoothness with the apps I made, and then I would work my way down to the lower end devices. That way, most of us with super fancy phones get an experience that's fast and smooth.

Sent from the Android Central app

Aug 30, 2013
Visit site

Try AVG. I've set mine to trigger power save at 10% (previously 30), might extend your battery further. I had what I'd call moderate use (in reality it's probably light :p) and got 20 hours

Yeah, but I run custom. I have a high clock speed and on demand governor which doesn't help. It's more my fault than anything. But if it doesn't blaze through things, it's not for me.

Aug 30, 2013
Visit site

To the OP, I don't blame you man, I switched from Android to iOS and will never go back. Android being "Open" is the biggest overstatement in the mobile industry, yes, it is open source but unless you really root it is useless. And the fragmentation will kill you, it is hard to watch other Android phones get updates and your phone does not for months! Add to that the LAG and you will be real miserable!

This is the very reason people root. Don't go bashing android without trying out its true potential by rooting. And lag? Very little on my phone, and it's only in bad apps like Facebook (shame on them for not fixing that yet). In my opinion, Android crushes ios. But hey, this isn't the place for a android and ios fight.

LegalAmerican

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site

There were just so many things wrong with switching I wound up going back to the iPhone 4S within a month. I'm also looking forward to getting iOS 7 in a few weeks. How many 2 year old Android phones still get updates when they are 2 years old?

I encourage you to try Android, but don't get rid of the iPhone just yet. Fast CPUs and a big screen don't equal happiness. And as far as openness, I found the Android system so locked down with locked bootloaders and Verizon bloatware that saying Android is open is a joke.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk - now Free

First off, you wont get all of iOS 7. You will get bits and pieces and the coolest stuff will be left out. Apple tells you that they update their phones but it's a partial update. Most Android phones get replaced after two years because of better devices on the market. I would rather get the full and complete OS updates before I upgrade my phone, then to be told i'm getting updated only to find half the features "aren't compatible" because of my old hardware.

Second, It only takes a little research to know that nothing about Verizon is "open" whether it's Android or iOS. That's Verizon's fault, and not Android. But even with a Verizon Android device, you can do so much more with it than an iPhone in terms of the "openness". You can't hate or rag on Android for not being open when you love the iPhone. It makes no sense.

I would love to get the iPhone if they'd have a larger screen option available. I think they are built very well and I would like to see how it is. But until they can get a decent sized screen i'll stick with Android so I don't need a telescope attachment.

bearda

Jan 25, 2013
Visit site

I have to respectfully disagree with you on the chargers point. Apple does enjoy a great deal of third party support, but microUSB is everywhere. Especially compared the the newer lightning connector. microUSB is currently the most common DC delivery port out there, having overtaken miniUSB and barrel jacks a while ago.

Apple does enjoy a bit of an advantage when it comes to docks, but I'd much rather use the Qi charging back with the S4 and use an inductive charging pad than a dock anyway. YMMV.

Maria Esponoza

Aug 29, 2013
Visit site

I really really love Google Play Music. It is like $7.99 a month and has like every song/album I could ever want. I highly recommend it for anyone that loves mobile music. I throw on Play Music and run everyday.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tress