Google Now monitoring my phone calls?

jdubb127

Sep 5, 2013
Visit site
The strangest thing happened today while using my s4. I had a 10 minute conversation on the phone with a friend about weekend plans. The plans included getting a limo and going to a specific venue. This afternoon I noticed that my Google Now app has two new cards on it, the first being limo rental offers in the area, and the second card giving reviews of the venue that was discussed during the call. Is Google Now monitoring my phone conversations? Has anyone else noticed this with their head set ?
Thanks in advance.

Posted via Android Central App

jdubb127

Sep 5, 2013
Visit site
Today was the first time I noticed it. Freaked me out. I saw that Google applied for a patent last year for software that would monitor just "the background noises" during calls. But this was def not background conversation.

Posted via Android Central App

pblakk

Aug 25, 2012
Visit site
Are you certain that you didn't search for those things or related?

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using AC Forums mobile app

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
So you never Google searched it or anything? I don't mean using Google now.. I mean simply on your phone or Chrome on your Pc (if you sync).

It only checks Web and email.. And sometimes apps if you allowed it access to search that app... But monitoring your phone call just seems highly unlikely without them notifying you first and asking if you wanted it to do that. Even then... I don't remember them even having anything like this in place so.. Doubt it.

Sent from my T-Mobile HTC One using AC Forums.

Attachments

• 1378383324616.jpg
    1378383324616.jpg
    50.6 KB · Views: 163

dopestar

Feb 14, 2011
Visit site
I have noticed some weird cards appear on google now that I didnt expect it to recognize... for example email related information turned into events on google now and searches that I did on safari appearing google now

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk 2

Darnell0216

Feb 26, 2013
Visit site
I have noticed some weird cards appear on google now that I didnt expect it to recognize... for example email related information turned into events on google now and searches that I did on safari appearing google now

Google is an ecosystem. Doesn't matter what browser you use, if it's in Google Search, they will know. If it comes in Gmail, they will know. I actually welcome it when it comes to things I'm constantly researching, like the features I'm still finding on this phone after a month.

pblakk

Aug 25, 2012
Visit site

You can turn off the Google Now connection to your Gmail.

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using AC Forums mobile app

mysticmeg

Apr 24, 2012
Visit site
This gives me and idea. I'm going to today ring a friend and talk about s*x toys and stuff from an adult shop. Let's see what search results Google now will show on my phone after the phone call.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk 2

starbuckk

Aug 15, 2011
Visit site
Google Now is definitely watching. I doubt listening though. My concern is less with it's watching than with what it might do with the info. I liked getting traffic reports along my normal route home shortly before leaving work. But who else can now find out my schedule? I turned it off.

Sent from the tiny keyboard on my S4

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Google Now is definitely watching. I doubt listening though. My concern is less with it's watching than with what it might do with the info. I liked getting traffic reports along my normal route home shortly before leaving work. But who else can now find out my schedule? I turned it off.

No one can unless they hacked that information... Trust me.. There is no reason to be that paranoid. If someone wants to find information about you and they have the know how.. A simply setting of sharing your information won't make any difference lol.

Sent from my T-Mobile HTC One using AC Forums.

mysticmeg

Apr 24, 2012
Visit site

That's going a bit too far with the bit where you say someone else might be able to see your route home and stuff.... Google isn't that messed in the head to let anyone else see where you're heading.

STSVA

Aug 7, 2013
Visit site
That's going a bit too far with the bit where you say someone else might be able to see your route home and stuff.... Google isn't that messed in the head to let anyone else see where you're heading.

Yeah, if anything it wouldn't be that someone could track you, it would be Google sending you targeted ads by businesses/fast food places on your route. Google's doing all this to make a buck.

mysticmeg

Apr 24, 2012
Visit site
Yeah, if anything it wouldn't be that someone could track you, it would be Google sending you targeted ads by businesses/fast food places on your route. Google's doing all this to make a buck.

We android users who let Google send us as etc should get share of the revenue too!!

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
You're already getting all of the services at no monetary cost along with the best software system available, completely free of charge.

XT1060. Through spacetime.

mysticmeg

Apr 24, 2012
Visit site
You're already getting all of the services at no monetary cost along with the best software system available, completely free of charge.

XT1060. Through spacetime.

Thinking about it. That's true. I wouldn't use a better system other than Google itself.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tivativa