Samsung Galaxy S4 keeps restarting!!

Oct 3, 2013
Visit site
Hi Everyone, I have the exact same problem and so far I tried everything mentioned in this thread.
I really Need Help! I bought Samsung Galaxy S4 (GT-I9500, Made in Vietnam) from Kogan in August then I left Australia and going to live overseas for a while. For last 4 days I am experiencing really strange battery draining issue. My phones battery drains down to 0% (mentioning battery critically low) and turns off by itself. This happened almost everyday for last few days even when my phone battery had over 85% or 60% or 40% charge left. After took the battery out of the phone and then re-inserted and re-booted, it still shows battery critically low. Then I did a factory reset on my device and I am still experiencing the same problem. It is also important to note that, yesterday after the phone turned off by itself by showing battery critically low (in reality it had over 85% charge left), I left it off for a while without plugging it in for charge. Then I turned it on again after a while, and the the phone rebooted fine and was working fine with almost 70% charge. I have been using this phone for only 2 months and I take really good care of my phone. I am not really sure what the problem is and now that I cant send it back to Kogan, I am really worried and frustrated. Is there any way to solve this problem or any suggestions. PLEASE KINDLY HELP!!!!! :(

So far I tried:
1. Factory Reset
2. Formating SD Card
3. Going through complete charge and discharge cycles

The fact is my phone battery does not actually drains to 0%, even though it shows 0% with battery critically low notification. If I leave my phone switched off for a while and then switch it back on, battery comes back to normal state showing the actual remaining battery charge and everything works just fine. its jus that randomly out of nowhere the phone reboots automatically and shows 0% battery after the boot. As I mentioned earlier I even did factory reset and didn't install any other app and same problem happens again. Default apps under factory reset condition should not drain battery (in fact battery is not draining at all)

Oct 3, 2013
Visit site
I bought a Galaxy S4 about two months ago. It was working fine until last week, when it started restarting automatically.
It happened for the first time when my little sister was playing candy crush with it. It just restarted and kept restarting over and over again. Finally, I could use my phone. It happened once more when I set a live wallpaper. So I thought maybe the problem is with graphics, animation or something. But then again, it happened when I was just scrolling the pages. My phone just kept restarting, the Samsung logo showed up and then it restarted again. Another odd thing is that when it turns on after restarting, the batter percentage is reduced to 0%, although it was 80% before getting shut down.
So I decided to reset my phone to factory settings. But it didn't help as well! It's much better now, but the problem is not solved.

Do you know why this is happening? Have you experienced the same problem?

Also Leily, My phone is 2 months old as well and I am experiencing identical problem. Please read my previous reply for details.

remarbarquilla

Oct 5, 2013
Visit site
Same problem that I am experiencing with my S4. I am not using the phone anymore since it keeps on rebooting. I never install the sd card on the phone. The last time that I remember why did this thing happen when I tried to sync my gmail account. And wooha samsung fails.

The last option to do is to bring this phone to Samsung service center. F@#$ it out this phone!

:-\

Sait Erkam Boz

Oct 5, 2013
Visit site
same happened to me too. I never install the sd card on the phone either. And also, it happened when I updated and later tried to sync my gmail account. Also, I bought my phone just one week ago.

RageRoids

Oct 5, 2013
Visit site
Hi all,

I also have the same problem. I bought an S4 on eBay a few days ago, it was wiped with NO SIM card & NO SD card.

So I played with it for 5 hours on my houses WiFi, then as the battery got to around 54%. Boom it shut down.
I tried to start it up but it wouldnt start up. Plugged a charger in straight away and it came back online the battery was 30%.

It reminded me of what happened to my iPhone once when its battery got depleted (it went yellow) and would
only start plugged into power.

When it switchs off and comes back the battery % is all over the place.

I think its a battery issue. Anyone got 2 Galaxy S4s and tried swapping batterys and able to confirm it?
Maybe Samsung are making inferior batterys to Apple.

Jenny Lo

Oct 6, 2013
Visit site
Hi all!

I got the exact same problem like you all!!!
so how can we fix it nowww..?
the problem is really irritating and I jus brought my phone for 5 months.
PLEASE HELP T_T

RageRoids

Oct 5, 2013
Visit site
Update:

Got my friends S4 today and swapped the battery. Guess what .. no shutdowns!

Confirmed, I tested it for 6 hours today. GPS on, brightness MAX, wifi on... rock solid.

The problem is Samsungs battery is no good. Now off to buy an official battery and not the fake ones on eBay.

FishenFool

Nov 11, 2012
Visit site
Update:

Got my friends S4 today and swapped the battery. Guess what .. no shutdowns!

Confirmed, I tested it for 6 hours today. GPS on, brightness MAX, wifi on... rock solid.

The problem is Samsungs battery is no good. Now off to buy an official battery and not the fake ones on eBay.

Or maybe the battery put into the phone from the person that sold it on fleabay was no good and it has nothing to do with Samsung.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using AC Forums mobile app

MisterBlister

Sep 25, 2013
Visit site
I contacted Samsung Service and after providing sufficient proof, they are sending me a replacement battery and a return envelope so I can send the faulty battery to them. I guess they are aware of the faulty batch as mine is 2 months old with standard battery. A new one is only 10EUR on Amazon but I guess then you are risking it being part of that bad batch whereas I'd hope Samsung would have identified the issue and be replacing with working models. Good to hear my phone will be fixed when this arrives.

RageRoids

Oct 5, 2013
Visit site
Or maybe the battery put into the phone from the person that sold it on fleabay was no good and it has nothing to do with Samsung.

Well there is plenty of people in this thread and others with the same problem. Are they also using eBay batterys ?

It could be Samsung has been using a dodgy supplier of batterys in China.

Last edited:

stevenv_ct

Oct 10, 2013
Visit site
I'm also having the same problem with my 4 month old S4 i9500 and stock standard battery that ships with the phone. My battery level was actually increasing without the charger connected :confused: Will be taking it in soon and hopefully get a new battery.

acemadmav

Oct 11, 2013
Visit site
My S4 is rooted, with modified recovery (Team Win Recovery Project) and a custom rom that worked well for moths so far (Omega). I started to have strange issues with the battery discharging too fast and now i have like 20% of real capacity, even with battery fully charged overnight and indicating 100% when unplugged. The phone start to loop around 60% and could not be restarted but guess what: it's been ONE FULL HOUR i'm running the phone in the recovery menu, screen fully on and 1% indicated battery on the screen.... i'll try to REALLY DISCARGE the battery this way, recharge it to full and hope to solve the issue.

Oct 3, 2013
Visit site
Guys, after doing lots of research I found that, there's nothing wrong with any of your apps, nothing wrong with your usage or the way you charge your phone. The fact is Samsung released a huge bunch Faulty/Defective (Faulty battery with poorly built handset body) Galaxy S4. The problem is widespread and more critical than you think. Please read the following article:

Samsung Galaxy S4 battery problem hitting users ? Phone Reviews

Here goes the exact problem details (Copied from my previous post): I bought Samsung Galaxy S4 (GT-I9500, Made in Vietnam) from Kogan Australia in August then I left Australia and going to live overseas for a while. For last 4 days I am experiencing really strange battery draining issue. My phones battery drains down to 0% (mentioning battery critically low) and turns off by itself. This happened almost everyday for last few days even when my phone battery had over 85% or 60% or 40% charge left. After took the battery out of the phone and then re-inserted and re-booted, it still shows battery critically low. Then I did a factory reset on my device and I am still experiencing the same problem. It is also important to note that, yesterday after the phone turned off by itself by showing battery critically low (in reality it had over 85% charge left), I left it off for a while without plugging it in for charge. Then I turned it on again after a while, and the the phone rebooted fine and was working fine with almost 70% charge.

Now the most Dangerous part! After around 2/3 months usage the Battery will experience Swelling all of a sudden and in the process will bend your Handset Screen outwards (Uneven screen raised outwards from the handset). This happens because the battery swells and looks like a flat pillow and can not fit inside and as a result bends your expensive handset. Samsung should start a product recall immediately and replace all the handsets!!!!

Shanicenicolle

Nov 2, 2012
Visit site
I had this issue when I limited the data in the background for Facebook. Which still makes no sense to me but it was the only common denominator between the few times it happened.

Sent from my *PURPLE* Galaxy S4