"Unfortunately, Contacts has stopped" when clicking Phone icon

doomguts

Dec 4, 2013
Visit site
Just did the update and everything seems fine (except now I no longer have the data button in my notification panel which is very frustrating) but when I click the phone icon on the home screen to make a call, the app shuts down automatically and I get the error message "Unfortunately, Contacts has stopped". So can't make calls. This needs to be fixed asap. Please help!

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! If you just updated the system, it's worth clearing the system cache partition using these instructions: Reset: Samsung Galaxy S 4 | T-Mobile Support. Follow the directions for "Wipe Cache Partition." No personal data will be lost. There might be some leftover system data from the prior OS version that's causing some general goofiness.

cd247

Oct 9, 2011
Visit site
My wife and I are having the same issue. I followed the instructions above and it didn't help.

Posted via Android Central App

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Ugh. Samsung has been having some real problems recently with updates, most notably with the 4.3 update for the S4. If you'll recall, they suspended the rollout due to problems that the update was causing. I read that they just restarted the rollout--did you update in the past 1-2 days, or a few weeks ago?

doomguts

Dec 4, 2013
Visit site
cache wipe complete
Pressed "enter" on reboot system now
Then the android in the middle of the screen said error
Phone rebooted

Still having the same issue
:(

doomguts

Dec 4, 2013
Visit site
Ugh. Samsung has been having some real problems recently with updates, most notably with the 4.3 update for the S4. If you'll recall, they suspended the rollout due to problems that the update was causing. I read that they just restarted the rollout--did you update in the past 1-2 days, or a few weeks ago?

Yes, I just performed the update tonight

JLTEEXO

Nov 23, 2013
Visit site
Do you use google to sync all your contacts? 'Cause i think the issue comes from google account.. this happen to me before and I had to remove my google account in the setting and sign back in again and it worked! As for the data button, well they took it off.. -.-"

Posted via Android Central App - SAMSUNG GALAXY S4

cd247

Oct 9, 2011
Visit site
We a few days ago.

I cleared the cache.

I've removed restarted and re-added my Google account. Still having contact issue. I can see any other non-Google contact in my phone.

doomguts

Dec 4, 2013
Visit site
Do you use google to sync all your contacts? 'Cause i think the issue comes from google account.. this happen to me before and I had to remove my google account in the setting and sign back in again and it worked! As for the data button, well they took it off.. -.-"

Posted via Android Central App - SAMSUNG GALAXY S4

I removed my google account, rebooted, re added my google account, rebooted and STILL same problem :(

Fabian F

Jul 8, 2013
Visit site
I'm getting 'Unfortunately, google+ has stopped' after I delete a file from My Files and from my Gallery.

cd247

Oct 9, 2011
Visit site
Well unfortunately I decided to master reset, using the power, up volume and home screen during boot up. It's been about 12hrs & my contacts are working perfectly. Not one crash

patricia bandong

Jan 5, 2014
Visit site
Just did the update and everything seems fine (except now I no longer have the data button in my notification panel which is very frustrating) but when I click the phone icon on the home screen to make a call, the app shuts down automatically and I get the error message "Unfortunately, Contacts has stopped". So can't make calls. This needs to be fixed asap. Please help!

Kable Btz III

Jan 5, 2014
Visit site
Backup your data in samsung KIES or elsewhere depending on what you want to keep and do a factory Data reset.

App --> Settings > Accounts TAB ---> Backup and reset ---> Reset phone.
Seems like the only way.

Katalia_marie

Apr 13, 2014
Visit site
I have a samsung galaxy s3 and I get themessage unfortunately contacts have stopped and usually I do a factory reset but then two days later it says the same thing. This is a brand new phone and I'm tired of doing factory resets please help me find a solution :(