Phone shuts off, is it bad battery or bad app?

amacnutt

Jun 3, 2011
Visit site
So every other day or so, I find my phone automatically shuts off. I don't see it happen, I just go to look at it and notice that it's off. It will always power back on easily, and it doesn't seem like the battery has suddenly taken a huge hit. I looked at the battery and it doesn't seem warped and can't easily spin on a table. So my question is, is this behavior most likely due to a bad battery or could an app be causing it? I have had my phone for about 1.5 years, have the stock battery, not rooted.

Thanks.

dm3ready

Sep 11, 2011
Visit site
After 1.5 years of use my recommendation would be to replace the battery with a Samsung OEM battery. Hopefully, you will see a marked improvement. However, if your recently installed a "suspect" app....try uninstalling it and allow a couple days to see if the problem is resolved.

anon(5600632)

Jan 18, 2013
Visit site
1.5 years may or may not be the end for a Samsung battery, but I don't like to spend money on a new battery without ruling out software causes. Could be a rogue app, could be a glitch in the OS or the Samsung's Touchwiz UI. You've already done a battery pull so that's not the answer. Cache partition clear from recovery mode, or at least a settings-storage-cache to clear it across all apps. Have a look at what's running under settings-applications and see if there's anything unusual.

1.5 years is a long time for software clutter to accumulate. Ever done a factory reset? It's a pain but once-a-year it's probably inevitable. Try the other stuff first.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tress