Cannot play downloaded attachments from email on Galaxy S4

DiannCDiannC

Aug 26, 2015
Visit site
The attachment will download from the email but it cannot or will not play. I got a message saying there's something on my computer that can recognize my devices. Service pack 3, Window media player, ....... You can download and install Kies on your computer from samsung.com/kies in order to sync data with my device.
Ok, does this mean I need to do that from my cell phone or from the computer from which I sent my test email? This is crazy. I've never seen where you had to download anything to see/view a video attachment. I can if sent through SMS but not email. Thanks!!

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
The file in the email is something you don't have an app to run, so it can't run on the phone. (Phones don't run files, apps do.) Find out what kind of file it is (the letters to the right of the dot, like jpg, wav, aac, etc) and someone can give you a link to an app (usually free) that can play that kind of file.

Or you can copy the file to your PC - Windows usually has more ways of playing media files than an Android phone does. (For example, wmp is a Windows Media Photo file, so Windows media can open it, of course. You'd need an app in an Android phone that can open it - Gallery won't.) You don't need Kies - just plug the phone into the computer, a new "drive" should appear with Card and Phone folders in it. Look in Phone first for the file you want to view and you should be able to view it (picture, video, music, whatever). Or you can drag the files to your computer, keep them in a special folder and you'll have them on the computer all the time.

Kies will work too, but you don't have to do it that way. You can fine Kies at Kies - Windows and MacOS if you want to do it that way.

worldspy99

Oct 15, 2013
Visit site
The attachment will download from the email but it cannot or will not play. I got a message saying there's something on my computer that can recognize my devices. Service pack 3, Window media player, ....... You can download and install Kies on your computer from samsung.com/kies in order to sync data with my device.
Ok, does this mean I need to do that from my cell phone or from the computer from which I sent my test email? This is crazy. I've never seen where you had to download anything to see/view a video attachment. I can if sent through SMS but not email. Thanks!!

First off, are you trying to play the attachment on the S4 or on the computer?
On the S4, install MX Player to play a video attachment or VLC Media Player.
https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...om.mxtech.videoplayer.ad&hl=en&token=Vl8uWeCc
https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...ails?id=org.videolan.vlc&hl=en&token=H5WYI-cl

On your computer if Windows Media Player does not open the attachment, download VLC Media Player.
VideoLAN - Download official VLC media player for Windows

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smokedog87