Trying To Transfer Files From My Galaxy S4 To My Vista Laptop

ACrookie1023

Jan 2, 2014
Visit site
Hello Everyone,

I'm travelling abroad and realize that I need to start transferring some of my files from my Galaxy S4 to my laptop. Trouble is, I have an old Vista system. I have tried downloading and using software like Kies and SmartSwitch, but somehow the process doesn't get off the ground. Can it be that my cell phone is not recognized? Is it possible that my Vista system is not capable of syncing with a cell phone, or that perhaps I have the wrong software? If there is some kind of alternative way of seamlessly transferring my files I am willing to try that. I am open to all options.

I hope someone can help.

Thanks to all in advance.

Josef

Carrtman

Sep 1, 2014
Visit site
you could try using WLAN tools such as WIFI File Explorer all you need to do is start the app and enter the phone url in your browser :)

extraclass

Feb 13, 2011
Visit site
If you plug in your S-4 do you see it in the files menu where you see the C: drive and cd drives listed? If not you may need to swap out the usb cable first! Some cables work and some do not!
Then go to SAMSUNG.COM and download the USB Driver. Between the cable swap and driver install this should solve your problem! Let us know if it does not!

ACrookie1023

Jan 2, 2014
Visit site
Hi Carrtman and extraclass,

Thanks to you both for your replies and suggestions. My apologies to you for not giving you feedback sooner. As I am travelling in S. America I moved hotels and unfortunately the last 2 had no working Internet, thus I had no access and could not answer. Before trying out your ideas I wanted to ask a couple of questions, and only now can I sign on to the AndroidCentral site to ask you.

Carrtman, I assume that WIFI File Explorer is an App that I can download from the Google Store, or do I already have it on my phone? Also, how do I find the phone URL?

extraclass, it seems that my Galaxy S4 is not recognized by my Vista computer, so I may need to go out and buy a new cable. You mentioned going to SAMSUNG.COM and downloading the USB Driver. Which driver is this, in other words I am looking for a specific driver called USB Driver, or do I need to 'drill down' thru a group of drivers to find one that relates to giving me the capacity to transfer files between my S4 and my PC?

Again, many thanks to you both, and I'm sorry I couldn't get back sooner.

I look forward to you responses.

Joe

Carrtman

Sep 1, 2014
Visit site
Hey no worries I know how tough it can be when the net doesn't work

here is the link to the app https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...blou.WiFiFileExplorerPRO&hl=en&token=BivEpx6W

you start the app and the ip adress of your phone will pop up enter it into your desktop browse and voila your phones files will be there :)

As far as Samsung drivers the usb drivers should be enough another thing you could try is this: look under developer options and check if usb debugging is ticked

ACrookie1023

Jan 2, 2014
Visit site
Hi Carrtman,

Thanks for your reply and patience. After sending my last reply to you and 'extraclass', I actually got my courage together and looked into the app you mentioned and found it. I downloaded it and followed what you had referred to in your first reply. After messing around with it for a while I finally located my files -- a whole bunch of photos in .JPG format. I selected all of the files, but then I manually de-selected the first 2 entries because I didn't know what they were. I then attempted a download. I somehow ended up with a ZIP file which my extract program didn't like. I think it said 'file corrupted' or something like that. Possibly I should not have de-selected the first 2 files; I'm wondering if they were some necessary indexing files as part of the ZIP process.

Another thing which made me a bit nervous was that as I performed the process I kept getting alerts on my S4 that I had 3 viruses and that I should run some kind of program to clean those viruses. However, being in S. America and having signed up for some minutes at a local provider and havind had to do the whole 'unlock' shmeel, I am operating under the blanket of this provider and I wonder if some hacking process is trying to get me to bite on something and then maybe I really am screwed !!! So I ignored those alerts. What's your take on this?

And finally, with that last bit of sh*t hitting the fan, I'm also nervous about compromising the WiFi network of the hotel where I am staying. Could that happen? Is WiFi File Explorer a clean and trustworthy product?

Sorry for this ton of stuff. This smartphone ---> WiFi ---> Computer concept sounds terrific, I have to say. No cables !!! I hope it's reliable.

Thanks a million !!!

Joe

Carrtman

Sep 1, 2014
Visit site
hey well that's disappointing ive been using this app since some time and never had any troubles with it. The only annoying thing is like you found out that more files are getting zipped

The link I posted is from the official author that being said if recommend do a virus scan every time before installing a new app.

I would never use a hotel provided WiFi it's slow and not very secure.

Try another app put that goes the same and if not contact the developer immediately