How can I connect to the wifi without a sim card on my galaxy s4?

Georgemuscle

Aug 27, 2016
Visit site
I have used my Samsung Galaxy S4 as a wifi device for the past 3 months with android 4.2.2 and it worked perfectly fine as a wifi device with no sim card in until one day I decided to update it. So now the phone is running android 4.4.4 without a sim card and it wont let me switch the wifi on. What do I do, downgrade the phone back to 4.4.2?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! Moved to the S4 forum (it was originally in the forum for the Galaxy S, which is reeeeally old).

What happens when you try to switch on the wi-fi? Does the switch turn on, then back off after a few seconds? Or does the switch not move at all?

Try wiping the cache partition: http://support.t-mobile.com/docs/DOC-5744

Georgemuscle

Aug 27, 2016
Visit site
When I try to switch the wifi on it switches back automatically because i do not have a sim card inserted. Oh yeah now that I only use it as a wifi device like an iPod touch, if theres a way to download apps from the computer and transfer it to the phone that will be great also being that I only use it to listen to music or play games when my primary phone dies.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
The presence or absence of a SIM card shouldn't matter when it comes to the wi-fi radio. If you never use a SIM card, then try turning on Airplane Mode, and then turn wi-fi back on. Does it stay on then?

The only way to download an app to your computer and then transfer it to the phone would be download an apk installer file from a filesharing site, which I strongly discourage. These sites are not vetted for malware, so your risk of getting a virus is high (and the apps may also be pirated, which we strongly disapprove).

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Wiping the cache partition only clears out temporary system data from the system cache. Reinstalling the firmware basically wipes the phone and completely restores the system with a clean version (as opposed to a factory reset, which wipes the phone and then restores the copy of the system that's already onboard--which might not fix things if that copy is corrupt).

Any luck after reinstalling the firmware using Kies?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Sorry, but I'm running out of ideas.:-\ What happens if you insert a SIM card, even if it isn't activated?

Georgemuscle

Aug 27, 2016
Visit site
Remember I only use it for listening to music and playing games, so instead of using an active sim card I used a sim card that was un active. So when I inserted the sim card that was un active, first I did not have any service as soon I inserted it and I don't have wifi. Also the option to smart network switch did not say that I needed a sim card to use wifi in the description, plus before I inserted the sim card it said that I needed to have a sim card in order to have wifiIMG_4541[1].jpg

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Man, this issue is frustrating (for you and me both :-\). So let me just recap:

1. Wi-fi won't turn on regardless of SIM being inserted or not.
2. Already tried inserting unactivated SIM, turning on Airplane Mode, then turning on wi-fi.
3. Smart Network Switch already turned off.
4. System cache partition wiped.

One other usual thing I forgot to suggest is Safe Mode: https://support.t-mobile.com/docs/DOC-27781

Georgemuscle

Aug 27, 2016
Visit site
Yes, it did work for me now using 4.2.2. But my only concern is that this android version is outdated, so if you can find another android firmware that can take wifi without a sim card that would be great