Certain apps on S4 keep crashing

SirMoeHimself

Aug 12, 2019
Visit site
Samsung SGH-I337
Android Version: 5.0.1

So seemingly overnight my Samsung Galaxy S4 is experiencing random crashes for certain apps. For lack of technical terms, it seems to crash on apps that involve imputing some sort of text to be saved on the app. Anyway, i noticed it this morning first on the Simplest Checklist App for Android, when I would go to add an item to the list by tapping the "+" it would just freeze, then go black and go to the home screen. I then got the error message "System UI has stopped working." I cleared the cache of System UI just in case I did everything in regards to the app (restarted phone, cleared cache, cleared data, uninstalled and reinstalled) and the app would still crash. Then when I downloaded another Checklist app, the same thing happened when I tapped a "+" to add an item! Then i noticed that other, but not all, apps would crash when it came to some sort of entry or text input. Some apps work fine, but others crash, and what's more confusing is it's a mix of both factory and third party apps that crash. Here is a list of some of the apps that have crashed, and what causes the crash:

Simplest Checklist, trying to add an item
Counter, trying to add a counting event
Calculator, accessing the history and tapping old calculation
Calendar, adding an event
Text Messaging, tapping "send" after typing message, even though the message sends the app crashes
SMemo, app opens to blank and then crashes
Gallery, app opens to black then crashes
Those are the ones i know so far. Other apps like Facebook, Netflix, Youtube, Fandango, Instagram, Amazon, Chrome, Google maps,or stock apps like stock browser, Samsung Music Player, and Camera still work fine. Bluetooth, Wifi connections also work.

I cannot really begin to explain how this sudden defect began. I have auto updates turned off, the last update I did was for a bank app 3 days prior, and unfortunately if a system or google app happened overnight I wouldn't know because first thing i did was clear notifications. So far I have restarted the phone, turned off and removed battery then turned back on, cleared cache. I read somewhere to uninstall the Google App, or uninstall the updates, which I did and that did not work (I have not tried uninstalling updates from the Google Play Store.) I also booted in safe mode, to which the same apps would still crash like before, removed the SD card and restarted, and lastly I did a Wipe of the Cache Partition, all of which have not solved the issue. Any help on the issue will be very much appreciated, and I can also provide any more information if needed. Thanks.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
It's possible that you're running a version of the app that's newer than your phone can handle. Do you get all your apps from Play, or do you download some from other sources? Play only shows you the apps your device can handle. If you have to go somewhere else to get an app, the chances are that you shouldn't be - because it's going to start crashing.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tress