TNW posts their Galaxy S5 review

msavic6

Jul 8, 2011
Visit site
Re: TNW posts their S5 review

I guess. Not something I plan to do but I guess it's cool for people that want to.

Yeah it isn't something I would do either but I have seen it mentioned on multiple forums and in theory it should work well.

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

anon(27512)

May 28, 2010
Visit site

Yeah it isn't something I would do either but I have seen it mentioned on multiple forums and in theory it should work well.

Ya I think the camera in the normal shooting mode will be enough for me.

morrsn

Oct 27, 2011
Visit site

And what I hate even more is the entire world thinking a feature is a must have just because Apple did it...

Would normally agree but to be honest Touch ID makes a huge difference to me. It's amazingly convenient. I like it so much I'm passing on the HTC M8 for the GS5 just because of the finger print sensor.

Yeah, there've been a handful of other handset makers trying to implement finger print scanners before the 5s but gotta give credit where is due.. Apple implemented it in a way that's become essential to me and it's an absolute most on my next handset purchase.

anon(27512)

May 28, 2010
Visit site

Would normally agree but to be honest Touch ID makes a huge difference to me. It's amazingly convenient. I like it so much I'm passing on the HTC M8 for the GS5 just because of the finger print sensor.

Yeah, there've been a handful of other handset makers trying to implement finger print scanners before the 5s but gotta give credit where is due.. Apple implemented it in a way that's become essential to me and it's an absolute most on my next handset purchase.

I don't think anyone claims that Apple invented the fingerprint scanner...if they do they're idiots. Apple definetly made the technology reliable and approachable for the masses. If you haven't tried an iPhone for yourself, go out and do it. Don't rely on other's hate to make your decisions. Apple's devices are great, that's why I use both platforms because they both have great but different experiences to offer. Even if you don't think you'll like iOS, you should at least try it and see what it is first hand.

jonebk12

Jun 17, 2013
Visit site

Honestly the fingerprint scanner was never a big draw for me. I may be in the minority, but I don't use any security on my current phone; just the standard lock screen. Having to enter a PIN or use face unlock every single time I want to get on the phone always feels like too much of a hassle. Maybe if the fingerprint scanner works flawlessly and very quickly, I'll give it a try. If it's a piece of crap on the other hand, it'll just be business as usual for me. No big deal.

anon(27512)

May 28, 2010
Visit site

Honestly the fingerprint scanner was never a big draw for me. I may be in the minority, but I don't use any security on my current phone; just the standard lock screen. Having to enter a PIN or use face unlock every single time I want to get on the phone always feels like too much of a hassle. Maybe if the fingerprint scanner works flawlessly and very quickly, I'll give it a try. If it's a piece of crap on the other hand, it'll just be business as usual for me. No big deal.

I love the fingerprint scanner in my 5S. I really hope samsung's is good.

LancelotSA

Aug 16, 2012
Visit site
I can swipe my finger down over the scanner or I can swipe a pattern on the screen as I currently do. I really don't see the big deal. The idea is really to prevent mates accessing my phone when left on a table rather than fully securing the phone, which the fingerprint scanner surely won't do anyway?

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

Premium1

Trusted Member
Nov 7, 2011
Visit site

Just from shortly playing with the s5 in an att store and comparing it to the m8, the s5 really blew me away when just about every tech site seemed to be hating on it from the announcement. I think even though some are calling it "incremental" it is a great phone and even the store model which has everything and anything loaded on it, dare I say it... Touchwiz was actually smooth and really impressed me after using previous samsung devices and how touchwiz really slowed them down.

GrooveRite

Sep 30, 2010
Visit site

Just from shortly playing with the s5 in an att store and comparing it to the m8, the s5 really blew me away when just about every tech site seemed to be hating on it from the announcement. I think even though some are calling it "incremental" it is a great phone and even the store model which has everything and anything loaded on it, dare I say it... Touchwiz was actually smooth and really impressed me after using previous samsung devices and how touchwiz really slowed them down.

Thank you!!! I thought the same as you when I played with it this past weekend.

Cobravision

Jul 18, 2010
Visit site

You can record in 4k, transfer it to your computer and pull out 8mp images from the footage.

I assume the images when you capture while recording will be bigger as well.

It's a shame that Samsung killed the screenshot feature in the video player on the S4 (or at least, they buried so deep I can't find it). I hope they bring it back on the S5.

hardrocker89

Nov 3, 2013
Visit site

It's a shame that Samsung killed the screenshot feature in the video player on the S4 (or at least, they buried so deep I can't find it). I hope they bring it back on the S5.

Can't you pause the video then simultaneously push the lock and home buttons to screen shot?

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

msavic6

Jul 8, 2011
Visit site

I have that feature enabled on my S4, although it only captures a maximum of 1920x1080 resolution image which is only 2mp. When I get home I'll try to find the setting where you enable it, I remember it took me a while to find it.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

Fr0gburp3r

Jul 15, 2013
Visit site
With the 4k video and capturing a photo from it, I hope you have really steady hands when capturing the video because it will be blurry from the smallest movement due to no image stabilization.

msavic6

Jul 8, 2011
Visit site
With the 4k video and capturing a photo from it, I hope you have really steady hands when capturing the video because it will be blurry from the smallest movement due to no image stabilization.

It isn't something I would personally rely on to get an image because of the lack of image stabilization but I have a fairly steady hand so I might be able salvage some shots out of 4K video.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

Cobravision

Jul 18, 2010
Visit site

It's fine on the Note 3. Why would 4K be more susceptible to shaking than 1080p?

rob damiani

Dec 12, 2013
Visit site

Doesn't the S4 already have Facial Recognition? How to use facial recognition on the Samsung Galaxy S4 | Android Central

A front facing IR camera to allow for facial recognition in low light or even darkness would have been way more useful than a fingerprint scanner.

I think the S6 has been chance of including an iris scanner, which would be ideal. I think they wanted one in the S5, but it wasn't good/cheap enough to be practical.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AmeliaRodriguez