Charger Cover Broke

Ruth Noemi1

Apr 26, 2015
Visit site
So I purchased my Galaxy s5 last July and within 25 days the battery port cover broke. It hold on to a thin plastic adaptor. I took it back to Costco (where I purchased the phone) and because I was within 90 days it was replaced no questions asked. I got the new phone and 3 months later it broke again. Very flimsy. I'm up for a jump an want to switch to Iphone so T-Mobile wouldn't take my Galaxy due to the port missing. I was told to call Samsung and they want me to send my phone in, it will take 10-14 business days. GTFOH. They expect me to be without a phone for 14 days. ARE YOU SERIOUS.. This phone cost 649.00 and you make a poor product and want us to be without a phone for 30 days?!?!? I now hate Samsung. Horrible!!!

AXEL314

Apr 21, 2015
Visit site
If you replace it yourself it will void all warranty

It wouldn't void your warranty because replacing the usb cover doesn't require you to disassemble the phone or break a security sticker. It literally takes 30 seconds of your time and a couple of bucks.

Posted via the Android Central App

Nickerz

May 16, 2011
Visit site
I bought my S5 on 8/26/14 and my charger cover broke yesterday. Well, had a good run but thank goodness there's a quick & cheap fix! I ordered the parts today off Amazon & I'll update this thread on how it goes.

P.S. I LOVE my S5!!! but this issue is an obvious oversight on Samsung's part.

jonebk12

Jun 17, 2013
Visit site
Mine finally broke after about a year and a half. Like someone said, couple bucks and minutes of my time and it was good as new. I wouldn't necessarily call it an "oversight." Moving parts get worn out with time and use. That's the price we pay for waterproofing. The fix is very cheap and easy.

Nickerz

May 16, 2011
Visit site
Mine finally broke after about a year and a half. Like someone said, couple bucks and minutes of my time and it was good as new. I wouldn't necessarily call it an "oversight." Moving parts get worn out with time and use. That's the price we pay for waterproofing. The fix is very cheap and easy.

If it wasn't an oversight then Samsung knew this would be an issue and chose to do nothing to help.? Which is worse? This thread has a lot of people with this issue so hopefully Samsung learns from it.

Either way, it's nice we now know how to fix this issue but Samsung isn't willing to help fix it. That's not good at all.

I'm glad to hear the fix worked for you! Hope mine is a success.

CChamp

Jul 26, 2012
Visit site
It wouldn't void your warranty because replacing the usb cover doesn't require you to disassemble the phone or break a security sticker. It literally takes 30 seconds of your time and a couple of bucks.

Mine hasn't broken YET, but by the sounds of it I can probably count on it doing so. A few of you in this thread talk about a fix, could you please tell us what this fix is and where to get the pieces. Thanks. CC

Invest59

Oct 5, 2015
Visit site
Yes mine broke off 7onths ago and they sent me a new phone bad thing is it has the same rubber Cover really Samsung

Invest59

Oct 5, 2015
Visit site
Yes mine broke off about 7onths ago and they sent me a new one bad thing it has the same cover really Samsung

Nickerz

May 16, 2011
Visit site
Well, I just fixed my charger cover! It litterally took less than 5 minutes and the new one fits snug and has a strong seal. It cost less than $5 for the part from Amazon and I took a pic of the left over broken part of the charger cover along with the included screwdriver (which I already had one and it is a size 00 (which you might be able to see inscribed on the 2nd pic) and it included an extra screw (which looked shorter than the OEM screw, so I just kept the OEM screw in there and it included the little plastic piece but again, I used the OEM one. So all done!

By the way...a local repair shop tried telling me it would cost $180 to fix this issue!!! They insisted that the whole back cover and screen needed to be replaced. When I tried explaining this simple fix the girl was really rude and woudn't listen. Worse, the manager got on the phone and yelled at me saying "...then go have it fixed somewhere else!" and then she hung up on me. I called two other repair shops (just to make sure I was going about this right) and they knew exactly how to fix this and said it would cost $15 which included them doing all the work. I chose to do it myself and it truly was easy, fast and simple! Anyone can do it...just watch the youtube video. Needless to say, I won't ever be using that local repair shop. The arrogance some people have when you try to point out the correct way of doing something. They wouldn't listen.

It's worth pointing out that fixing this issue is easier than posting on this forum. I can't figure out how to attach picsfrom my S5 and having to attach the pics from my PC is such a pain b/c AndroidCentral has SO many popups, ads, etc. that the pages takes forever to load. What a pain to help out others in a forum. Taking my phone apart is easier!

Here are the parts and my two screwdrivers are the two silver attachments but the kit I bought came with one also...
2015-10-08 05.30.50.jpg

This pic shows the size of the screwdriver, I have two but the one that fits is 00 (although I think the 0 would also work)...
2015-10-08 04.46.19.jpg

eyecon82

May 26, 2010
Visit site
Well, I just fixed my charger cover! It litterally took less than 5 minutes and the new one fits snug and has a strong seal. It cost less than $5 for the part from Amazon and I took a pic of the left over broken part of the charger cover along with the included screwdriver (which I already had one and it is a size 00 (which you might be able to see inscribed on the 2nd pic) and it included an extra screw (which looked shorter than the OEM screw, so I just kept the OEM screw in there and it included the little plastic piece but again, I used the OEM one. So all done!

By the way...a local repair shop tried telling me it would cost $180 to fix this issue!!! They insisted that the whole back cover and screen needed to be replaced. When I tried explaining this simple fix the girl was really rude and woudn't listen. Worse, the manager got on the phone and yelled at me saying "...then go have it fixed somewhere else!" and then she hung up on me. I called two other repair shops (just to make sure I was going about this right) and they knew exactly how to fix this and said it would cost $15 which included them doing all the work. I chose to do it myself and it truly was easy, fast and simple! Anyone can do it...just watch the youtube video. Needless to say, I won't ever be using that local repair shop. The arrogance some people have when you try to point out the correct way of doing something. They wouldn't listen.

It's worth pointing out that fixing this issue is easier than posting on this forum. I can't figure out how to attach picsfrom my S5 and having to attach the pics from my PC is such a pain b/c AndroidCentral has SO many popups, ads, etc. that the pages takes forever to load. What a pain to help out others in a forum. Taking my phone apart is easier!

Here are the parts and my two screwdrivers are the two silver attachments but the kit I bought came with one also...
View attachment 200416

This pic shows the size of the screwdriver, I have two but the one that fits is 00 (although I think the 0 would also work)...
View attachment 200415
How about you tell us which repair shop treated you like this so we can all give them 1 star reviews

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

Nickerz

May 16, 2011
Visit site
No issue here. I've had it about 6 months now.

Yeah, I had mine for over a year & then snap... it broke. I was never hard on it either.

My wife's had hers for over a year & hers is fine for now but I ordered an extra replacement for WHEN (not if) it breaks.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

RDamon Salvatore

Oct 13, 2015
Visit site
I' m not robot!
If my phone cover came off totally from the phone i will contact seller.Because my battery often drop.
But if u phone case is case,u can chage it.