Is anyone experiencing Galaxy S5 Smart Stay problem?

Milos1977

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
Ever since i got it 3 days ago, smart stay barely works. I set it on 15s and after each 15s the little "eye" icon appears and checks I guess if i'm still looking at the phone, but then it dims is half way, and 2 seconds later turns it off completely.

Its very annoying when reading an article, or book.

The best i get is if notices me the first time only, but after another 15s it always turns screen off.

I rebooted the phone 2-3 times to see if that will change anything, but no luck.

The guy at T-mobile just said to put screen time out time up to 10 minutes. That is no help. Might have to go back to the store unless i figure it out.

anyone else noticed this?

thanks..

Last edited:

Milos1977

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
no glasses for me.
I never had this problem with S3.
I wander if its my unit, or all of them. Putting my face closer, or being in better lighting doesn't seem to make difference.

Does your work if you remove glasses?

thanks for the input.

imikeabq

Apr 15, 2014
Visit site
I'm having the same issue. Smart Stay is not working. With or without glasses.

no glasses for me.
I never had this problem with S3.
I wander if its my unit, or all of them. Putting my face closer, or being in better lighting doesn't seem to make difference.

Does your work if you remove glasses?

thanks for the input.

stan23

Oct 8, 2013
Visit site
I've had the S3, S4, Note 2, Note 3, and now the S5. i've never gotten smart stay to reliably work. Especially in dark conditions. I just chalk it up to a useless 'feature'

here4kids

Apr 9, 2012
Visit site
I LOVE smart stay. it works for me on the s3 and also this s5. I stay with Samsung for it (and some other features).

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using AC Forums mobile app

Milos1977

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
I've been testing it throughout the day. Sometimes it works, for example with my Dolphin browser, but it never turns off the screen at all even if i put the phone down. Also, sometimes it just dims the screen when I'm in main home screen, but stays like that and never goes off.

It really is unreliable.

btw, did you guys get that 30MB update when you first turned the phone (straight out of the box) as they said it would?

Masum56k

Apr 15, 2014
Visit site
Yes I got that 30mb update, but didn't noticed any changes after update..

Smart stay works fine in my S5, when I keep my device within 1 feet range from my eye..

Sent from my SM-G900H using AC Forums mobile app

Milos1977

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
Yes, it works 10-12 inches for me, when it works. If i lower my hand while reading the web page lets say to 14", it checks, and dims the screen. Very short range.

again, this was fine on my S3. I'm gonna have to move screen timeout time up to a minute or two.

vlsi2000

Apr 18, 2014
Visit site
I'm have the same issue with my S5.
I've used smart stay with Note2 without any problem for the past year or so.
But with the latest S5, it simply does not work.
The eye symbol would appear and then dims screen and then turns off the screen while I'm staring at the screen under the same lighting condition where I used to use my Note2 previously.
It appears to be a software bug that needs fixing.

tomothy94

Apr 18, 2014
Visit site
I was playing with it last night trying to make it work and found that it seemed to stay on providing i blinked whenever the little icon appeared... is that possible?

Greg C

Jan 11, 2013
Visit site
After reading all of the posts about Smart Stay not working for people...I guess I'm lucky that I'm not having any problems with it. I just turned it on after reading this thread...I forgot all about this feature.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smokedog87