Galaxy S5 - unread email issue

BFrid

Apr 15, 2014
Visit site
Galaxy S5 is not marking read emails. The gmail app works fine, this is a problem with the built in standard email app.

If an unread message is received by the email app, and then later marked as read by my desktop or other device, the email app does not update the status. Even though it is shown as read on the server, it remains unread on my S5, even after sync.

I'm accessing an IMAP account that is hosted by register.com - I previously used the built in application on the Galaxy Nexus with no issues.

Is anyone else experiencing this issue or have solution for it?

DFor

Apr 19, 2014
Visit site
Same exact issue here: read email on my desktop browser but it remains unread on my Galaxy S5.
I have played with every sync setting there is to no avail.

here4kids

Apr 9, 2012
Visit site
I use k9 mail because of this reason alone. don't like that unread mail circle.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using AC Forums mobile app

Patrick Hargitt

Apr 28, 2014
Visit site
Same issue with my IMAP accounts. Exchange account works fine.

Did you find any solution?

Until then I use k-9 Mail for imap and Mail for exchange (not working with K-9). NOT IDEAL

bwall04

Apr 28, 2014
Visit site
Exact same issue here except on S4 instead of S5.
If I read email on my desktop, it does not get marked as "read" on the S4.
If I DELETE email on the desktop, it DELETES on the S4
It all used to work perfectly before Kit Kat update
(Verizon Galaxy S4)
(IMAP email account)
Has anyone seen a fix yet. I have removed and recreated the account. When I do that it marks everything correctly (on the initial sync), but on subsequent syncs it does not mark the individual messages that I have read on the desktop as read.

I have installed K-9 and so far like it a LOT. Works perfectly for me

Last edited:

Jdyszel

May 4, 2014
Visit site
I am brand new to Android coming from a series of Iphones and, I must say, I have been hitting a good number of obstacles in the move over. Getting the device to work to my needs has been a challenge. One issue, is the issue discussed here. My circumstance is that I have two email accounts. A work account that is hosted on Microsoft 365 and the other which is gmail (personal). Coming from Iphone my expectation is that I would be able to manage both of these emails addresses from a single app. Given that I have office 365 email my options are limited in terms of an email client. The built in email app works great. However, my gmail account does no seem to sync messages that I mark unread or starred from the gmail website or from my Microsoft Outlook email client that I use in my office.

Personally I only have until Saturday May 10th to return this phone. I've spent the better part of a week trying to get text message to work (thanks Apple and your I-Chat app for making that so difficult) and now I'm battling with this email situation.

I would really like to stay with the Android platform but managing my email in two different apps is just silly (also gmail counters don't work on S5 standard launcher).

Hope someone posts a resolution ASAP otherwise I may end up right back on and Iphone.

here4kids

Apr 9, 2012
Visit site
I am brand new to Android coming from a series of Iphones and, I must say, I have been hitting a good number of obstacles in the move over. Getting the device to work to my needs has been a challenge. One issue, is the issue discussed here. My circumstance is that I have two email accounts. A work account that is hosted on Microsoft 365 and the other which is gmail (personal). Coming from Iphone my expectation is that I would be able to manage both of these emails addresses from a single app. Given that I have office 365 email my options are limited in terms of an email client. The built in email app works great. However, my gmail account does no seem to sync messages that I mark unread or starred from the gmail website or from my Microsoft Outlook email client that I use in my office.

Personally I only have until Saturday May 10th to return this phone. I've spent the better part of a week trying to get text message to work (thanks Apple and your I-Chat app for making that so difficult) and now I'm battling with this email situation.

I would really like to stay with the Android platform but managing my email in two different apps is just silly (also gmail counters don't work on S5 standard launcher).

Hope someone posts a resolution ASAP otherwise I may end up right back on and Iphone.

change is hard. I came from black berry and tried in vain to make my phone behave like one. I switched to k9 mail and really do like it. have you tried it? I can get mail from multiple providers in one place. I even have all acct's spam come into one folder.

if you like apple, switch back. they don't change things up. 15 days isn't long enough to get to know how things really work. it's just enough to figure out how they don't. (hope that makes sense).

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using AC Forums mobile app

Skrantzman

May 13, 2014
Visit site
I have the S5, and had the exact same problem. Syncing read emails worked fine for my exchange account, but not my IMAP account. When researching this problem last night, I came across a somewhat related site discussing issues with KitKat (Android 4.4.2) and the Galaxy Note S3 found here How to fix Android 4.4.2 KitKat problems on the Galaxy Note 3 - AndroidPIT.

Although it was discussing issues with the Note 3, I decided to give the section on "Problems With Email Sync" a try, after all the real problem is probably the OS, and not the device. To my pleasant surprise, my IMAP read emails are now syncing using the default email app. The part I don't understand, is what the Google account or GMail has to do with IMAP syncing for a totally different account. I guess it really does not matter, I am just happy I have it working now.

Give it a try, and let us know if it works for you.

Richard Bone

May 19, 2014
Visit site

I think you will find that Gmail supports IMAP so you can connect with the standard email app.
One thing about Android is that it's a Google product so there is an enhanced-functionality app for Gmail only.
The iPhone equivalent will not use the enhanced Gmail interface so it's just like using a standard email client and accessing the Gamil servers with either POP, IMAP or Exchange protocol which you can do with the standard Android email client.

Skrantzman

May 13, 2014
Visit site
Any update on a fix for this? really frustrating :(

Did you try my suggestion above? It worked for my Verizon S5 instantly. I also did this on my associates new AT&T S5. On her phone, it did take a couple of hours for the sync to start working.

The one catch is that when I go to my inbox, I do have to press the refresh/re-sync button (second from the left) at the bottom of the inbox or combined inbox. It sure beats having to do it manually though.

dwaldman84

May 23, 2014
Visit site
I tried it, my settings are already set that way. This is only an issue on the native email app, all other apps work fine....super annoying

digitalfreaknyc

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
I was finally able to fix this yesterday. When you set up the account, do "manual setup." Under Security, pick "none." Mine was always set to SSL. Everything is syncing properly now AND the spam button has come back as well.

Last edited:

GeekNews

Oct 25, 2012
Visit site
Has anyone found a solution for the OPs post? I'm working with someone right now that is experiencing a similar issue. IMAP emails are not deleting or showing read from their GS5 after being read on their PC or somewhere else. Seems like it may be a limitation of the stock email app as I've seen a few suggestions mentioning using another email client.

rwwh90

Mar 23, 2011
Visit site
I also have the same issue with my imap and exchange accounts on my new Verizon Galaxy S5. Tried the suggestions listed in this thread but they don't work for me.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dumpsterrentals38