Are we likely to see an update from samsung to fix the lag some people have?

tomothy94

Apr 18, 2014
Visit site
Hi all

As the days go by it is becoming more and more apparent that the S5 doesn't match up to other devices on speed of app opening and in other areas it can lag such as lock screen opening and fingerprint scanning, and just general use of the phone.

In light of this and samsung's reputation for apparently listening to their customers, do you think that we are likely to get an update to address the lag, considering the hardware in the phone is more than capable of producing the same results as other devices?

What do you think?

Skyway

Nov 8, 2010
Visit site
You can turn off animations in the developer options, that might help.

Also it's not the hardware that's causing the "lag", it's TouchWiz. It's a very heavy ui when compared to others, such as Sense 6.

Posted via Android Central App

tomothy94

Apr 18, 2014
Visit site
Hi

I have turned off the developer settings as you say, it does help a lot, and I know it's Touchwiz, that is what i am saying - Will samsung release a firmware update to make it faster? I don't really have lag but if i mess around with the phone loads and keep opening and closing apps I do get some

- - - Updated - - -

And regardless, the HTC One M8 really is so much faster that it's a bit embarrassing for Samsung if they don't update it

Skyway

Nov 8, 2010
Visit site
Hi

I have turned off the developer settings as you say, it does help a lot, and I know it's Touchwiz, that is what i am saying - Will samsung release a firmware update to make it faster? I don't really have lag but if i mess around with the phone loads and keep opening and closing apps I do get some

- - - Updated - - -

And regardless, the HTC One M8 really is so much faster that it's a bit embarrassing for Samsung if they don't update it

You said that the hardware is capable of producing little or no lag on other devices, but my point was it has nothing to do with hardware. It's the skin that Samsung uses

tomothy94

Apr 18, 2014
Visit site
You said that the hardware is capable of producing little or no lag on other devices, but my point was it had nothing to do with hardware. It's the skin that Samsung uses

I Said that the S5's hardware is already more than capable of producing the same speeds as other devices, knowing this, do you think samsung will employ an update to match the speeds of its rivals, as it cannot be the hardware but the software as you say. I do understand what you mean and i am saying the same thing you are saying haha

tomothy94

Apr 18, 2014
Visit site
If i were to root my device I suppose other roms would be less Laggy as they don't include touchwiz? I've heard of a couple, Omega is one of them, though i'd rather not void my warranty at this point and think samsung will hopefully release an update

Skyway

Nov 8, 2010
Visit site
I Said that the S5's hardware is already more than capable of producing the same speeds as other devices, knowing this, do you think samsung will employ an update to match the speeds of its rivals, as it cannot be the hardware but the software as you say. I do understand what you mean and i am saying the same thing you are saying haha

Honestly I don't think they can just update it enough to be comparable. But that's just my opinion

Skyway

Nov 8, 2010
Visit site
If i were to root my device I suppose other roms would be less Laggy as they don't include touchwiz? I've heard of a couple, Omega is one of them, though i'd rather not void my warranty at this point and think samsung will hopefully release an update

Usually a custom rom or a tweaked stock rom will run circles around it's stock counterpart.

williams448

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
To be completely honest, after using the Nexus 5 since it launched in Nov. the lag on my GS5 is not bad at all. I mean, is it noticeable compared to the N5, if you compare it with a microscope, sure. I think every phone is going to seem "laggy" compared to the N5. But having it for a week now, not one time have I complained about lag.

tomothy94

Apr 18, 2014
Visit site
I have Disabled S Voice and S Health and it seems to have improved performance, not sure if i am just imagining that though

- - - Updated - - -

Also on a tangent I have just put 7 seasons of south park on my phone storage and the phone hasn't slowed down at all despite it

Skyway

Nov 8, 2010
Visit site
To be completely honest, after using the Nexus 5 since it launched in Nov. the lag on my GS5 is not bad at all. I mean, is it noticeable compared to the N5, if you compare it with a microscope, sure. I think every phone is going to seem "laggy" compared to the N5. But having it for a week now, not one time have I complained about lag.

The m8 runs just as smooth as the n5

eyecon82

May 26, 2010
Visit site
Disabling animations in developer settings helps, but there is still lag. I hope they do fix it through since it's clearly software related

-Sent from Tapatalk

Achilles_88

Apr 10, 2014
Visit site
If anyone has ever used a nexus 5 then they know just how fast a phone can be. Because it's pure Google, it runs very very fast. I had an S4 and it a little smoother with updates... Although from when I bought it in 2013 until the 4.4 update I only had 3 updates total in that year. I hope Samsung has more frequent updates with the S5 but I can still notice a slight delay when doing any task compared to a nexus or so be thing BUT I am more than okay with this because its barely noticeable and the phone far far out performs and other phone in my opinion. I know ultra power saving mode isn't necessarily new but Samsung has so far or perfected it in my opinion. It assisted me in getting 30+ hours with moderate usage Which is bomb......

zipro

Jul 18, 2010
Visit site
Agreed, the N5 is a much faster device. My S5 tends to be OK for a while after reboots, but then gradually gets slower and slower, which mainly displays itself as slow app loading speed, scrolling performance in apps, delays when hitting the multitasking button etc. There's even a video on YouTube demonstrating this: http://youtu.be/V0ijg7in0K8 - they're saying it's due to the fact that Touchwiz is so bloated, that there isn't enough memory to run other apps smoothly. Also, because of the constantly low memory, the S5 is incapable of keeping background tasks running and has to freeze them instead. That way, the apps have to reloaded every time you switch back to them, resulting in delays.

Greg C

Jan 11, 2013
Visit site
I haven't experienced any lag at all. I use Apex Launcher instead of TouchWiz. I also disabled most of the bloatware that came preinstalled on my device.

philosopherisdog

Dec 13, 2011
Visit site
My S5 (Verizon) runs pretty fast and zippy. I only noticed some lag in the Tapatalk app, but that app has always been kind of buggy in my experience. Other than that, everything that I have used works fine.

By the way, I'm using the Nova launcher right now, and I have disabled some bloatware. Also, I do not have a ton of apps loaded as of now.

When I hit the open apps, or multitasking button (the layered rectangles on the bottom left screen), it does seem to take just a split second to open, but I'm not sure that is "lag" - that is just the way that button operates.

jschu22

Nov 8, 2009
Visit site
I'd be happy with the screen turning on faster than it currently does. Yeah its like a second but most other phones are essentially immediate, the S5 should have that as well.

Oh and don't test yours by turning it off then right back on. I'm referring to what happens when I haven't been using my phone for a few minutes and the time it takes for the screen to respond.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tivativa