Galaxy S5 : Android System using too much battery

Eclipse2K

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
I'm very happy with the battery life but its only possible because I have location turned off and almost nothing syncing. Auto brightness. Still, even though location is off the Android System is still using the most battery.

ususy7yb.jpg
6apyqy8a.jpg

Samsung Galaxy S5 (Verizon)

PsychDoc

May 28, 2011
Visit site
Right now I have Location set to "power saving" but I'm wondering after reading through this thread if I should set it to off until I really need it. I also noticed that Bluetooth burns through a fair amount of battery power. I've usually just kept BT on all the time but now I keep it off until I get in my car. Havent run these settings long enough to see how much of an impact there will be on battery life. Right now I'm getting about 16 hours with what I'd say is moderate use. That's about on a par with my previous DNA which is OK but I really thought the S5 was going to excel in this department.

I'm really hoping that this entire issue is a KitKat thing which can (and will) get rectified with the rollout of 4.4.3.

samsengfan

May 21, 2014
Visit site
i simply cannot believe android user in this forum.
come on, why would you on the 'Location/GPS' ????
is this the first day you are using android? OFF that function, only switch it ON when you are using google map or navigation.
if you are lazy to even toggle that, get an iphone.

i have to actually register an account just to reply to this thread. omg.

do u know gps is the most battery consuming thing in your phone? sigh.

sirmaru

Apr 11, 2014
Visit site
is this the first day you are using android? OFF that function, only switch it ON when you are using google map or navigation.

The Weather Channel and AccuWeather both require Locations Services to be on. I like to always check the temperature and forecast so leave it on all the time.

Jaydee smith

May 22, 2014
Visit site
I had to sign up to post this because im now having battery issues after some 35-40mb OS update came through the other day. Im with Telstra (Australia's biggest network with best coverage I have good 4G coverage at home and work as well)

I used to get through a day 8:45am off charge, go to work, wifi connection all day, bluetooth connection all day to my Samsung Gear 2 watch, bluetooth to car 40 minutes in the day, go to the gym and then bluetooth audio to my plantronic backbeat go 2 earphones for about 90 minutes (while using gear 2 via bluetooth to control audio) and get home with about 75% battery remaining. On a bad day, maybe 65% remaining. Location services turned on, gps turned on (use it with friends for google locationing each other) then put it on charge at about midnight where i still easily had over 50% battery remaining.

Since this small update that came through, I now use close to 10% battery an hour... doing nothing... Its just stuffed and im not going to turn anything off because i need everything on....

Lucky for me I am in a position where i can keep it charging but still its a joke. I just want my old battery life back....

It also seems my screen seems to be using up a fair amount of the battery life (31.5% so far today) and my screen hasnt even been on that long with it sitting on my desk.

Im going to try a few things, might even factory reset to see if it improves anything.

Just wanted to add my 2cents

Cheers,
Jaydee

RyMac04

BB Convert
Dec 20, 2011
Visit site
I just started having this same issue. I've had the phone for over a month now and the battery life has been extraordinary. 15-20 hours on battery no problem - at full usage.

Yesterday, I noticed leaving work that I was all the way down to 13%, from 8am to 5pm. This is way out of the ordinary. I checked battery usage and sure enough, Android System had used 27% of battery (the most of anything). Today I'm seeing the same issue at 3 hours on batter at down to 78%. I always keep location on, so I've turned it off... but I don't understand what's causing this to happen so suddenly?

allipki

Dec 18, 2012
Visit site
I am experienced same problems as you described for last two days, was not an issue before.

I just started having this same issue. I've had the phone for over a month now and the battery life has been extraordinary. 15-20 hours on battery no problem - at full usage.

Yesterday, I noticed leaving work that I was all the way down to 13%, from 8am to 5pm. This is way out of the ordinary. I checked battery usage and sure enough, Android System had used 27% of battery (the most of anything). Today I'm seeing the same issue at 3 hours on batter at down to 78%. I always keep location on, so I've turned it off... but I don't understand what's causing this to happen so suddenly?

AZgl1500

Feb 4, 2011
Visit site
quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by samsengfan

The Weather Channel and AccuWeather both require Locations Services to be on. I like to always check the temperature and forecast so leave it on all the time.

I have found that toggling the GPS ON/OFF only makes about 23 minutes difference in available battery time.
I no longer turn it off and leave it always ON and on High Accuracy.

icouldntpossiblycomment

May 5, 2014
Visit site
Yesterday I checked at the end of the day and after 16 hours with 2 hours 24 minutes screen time my battery was at 58% but it said android system used 81% of the battery so for me it looks like its just a bug in the display app or the rest of the phone has godly power use

Yeah, today my Android System is showing an extremely high percentage, but I've 45% battery after 18h 38m and 4h 48m screen time. I figure I won't stress about it unless Android System is very high AND my battery life is poor/declining.

AZgl1500

Feb 4, 2011
Visit site
Solved!!!! just sign out your samsung account and bettery will be perfect.

What that says is an app was running all the time in the background and using up a lot of DATA.

that is why when my phone is not being used, I turn OFF data and WiFi, there is not need for either of those when I am sleeping. SMS works regardless with both of those off.

itguy14

Apr 30, 2014
Visit site

Are you for real? The OS should be managing this. It should not be up to the user to turn on/off location because the OS Sucks so bad as to not manage it by itself.

So what you are saying is Android sucks so bad that every time I want to navigate I have to turn on location, navigate and turn off? Seriously? If that's the case than Google has to go back to the drawing board! It's 2014, not 2001.

And if the iPhone manages that (and a bunch of other things) better then its the better platform.

Oh, and BTW: I'm seeing this on my S5 on T-Mobile too.

Eclipse2K

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
Are you for real? The OS should be managing this. It should not be up to the user to turn on/off location because the OS Sucks so bad as to not manage it by itself.

So what you are saying is Android sucks so bad that every time I want to navigate I have to turn on location, navigate and turn off? Seriously? If that's the case than Google has to go back to the drawing board! It's 2014, not 2001.

And if the iPhone manages that (and a bunch of other things) better then its the better platform.

Oh, and BTW: I'm seeing this on my S5 on T-Mobile too.

Seriously!

No Android phone before my S5 did this. Its not normal nor is it acceptable. Who turns things like that off? Next that user will tell us all to use Ultra Power Saver mode daily...

Samsung Galaxy S5 (Verizon)

djbIII

Jun 24, 2014
Visit site
I registered just to share similar experiences with my S5. It's not a constant problem, this past weekend for example I was able to get nearly 48 hours with light-moderate use. However, my phone was 90% charge when I went to bed last night and I awake to this below! Unacceptable! This is with location and wifi disabled, although the shot below appears to show wifi was enabled... more confusion, no answers.

Screenshot_2014-06-24-10-30-50.jpg
Screenshot_2014-06-24-10-30-54.jpg

S5_GJH

Apr 21, 2014
Visit site
Mine is fixed. Here's what I did.

Put all the files on my SD onto the computer. Formatted the SD on the phone. Readded the files using KIES. Apparently there is an issue with SD cards that are put into the phone and not formatted to Samsung/Android 's way of working that causes the system to over use itself.

Changed the run time in developer options to ART then back to Dalvik.

Turned off NFC. I thought this was off but it wasn't.

Charged the phone to 100% and then reset it as soon as I unplugged.

I spent a few hours trawling the net finding ways that have improved people's battery. Also, I have location off and sync on. I also turn all the samsung bloatware off.

At the point of the screenshot, for the past two weeks, I have been sitting at 30% with the same kinda usage.

Try some of these and see how you get on.

Posted via Android Central App

Attachments

• Screenshot_2014-06-24-18-57-25.jpg
    Screenshot_2014-06-24-18-57-25.jpg
    51.4 KB · Views: 42

S5_GJH

Apr 21, 2014
Visit site
Oh, and I got rid of any form of battery monitoring apps. They're a load of rubbish.

Posted via Android Central App

cleo007

Jun 26, 2014
Visit site
why should you put it in ultra power saving mode when you have a new phone. My phone I charge at night it is at 100% in in the morning it s 60%. this is a flaw in the Galaxy 5 doesn't matter which carrier I have Verizon. why are we all in a form to figure this out. Samsung should have an answer, my old phone Droid Razr Maxx the battery was great. now my galaxy I have to charge the through the day. Samsung needs to fix this and fix this fast