Searching for GPS

RionDunn

Mar 12, 2014
Visit site
Hey everyone!

Noticed that my S5 had been searching for GPS a lot lately. When I wake the phone up I notice the GPS symbol blinking at the top of the phone, within the notification drawer it says searching for GPS. Doors this for a few seconds then vanishes.

Anyone experience this on their handset?

Sent from my S5 via AC Forum App

bespinct

Apr 24, 2010
Visit site
Do you have a weather app or widget that would be polling at wake? Could also be Google in its effort to give you good information in Google Now.

Posted via Android Central App

RionDunn

Mar 12, 2014
Visit site
Yea I think is the weather network, did some testing with it and it seems to be the result. I also have a stock weather widget running, but it seems as if this didn't show up until the weather network was installed

Sent from my S5 via AC Forum App

slagmire

Nov 20, 2013
Visit site
I noticed that mine was constantly bringing up a notification that said "searching using GPS". I decided to check my battery usage stats since that was the reason I even started caring. My battery had completely drained in the night even thought it was fully charged when I went to bed. The culprit...Facebook. I don't know why it would have to collect location data every 10 seconds but that's what it seemed to be doing. I selected "force stop" and the problem went away.

lt2211

Feb 26, 2015
Visit site
My S5 started doing it much more often, after the last round of system upgrades. It occurs when the phone is in Lock mode. Lock Screen displayed. It causes the lock screen to go dark while searching and makes it impossible to swipe the lock screen while Searching using GPS. Problem is it can take from 30 seconds to 2 minutes to do it's thing. It locks up the phone till it's done. It does it much too often, is there a way to shut it off? It did not do this before the last round of system updates.

RionDunn

Mar 12, 2014
Visit site
My S5 started doing it much more often, after the last round of system upgrades. It occurs when the phone is in Lock mode. Lock Screen displayed. It causes the lock screen to go dark while searching and makes it impossible to swipe the lock screen while Searching using GPS. Problem is it can take from 30 seconds to 2 minutes to do it's thing. It locks up the phone till it's done. It does it much too often, is there a way to shut it off? It did not do this before the last round of system updates.

Try disabling Google Location Services and go into AccuWeather and change it to check the weather every 6 hours. This is the widget that's more then likely on your main screen, see below:

I've messed around with these settings a lot and it seems as if you'll only notice significant battery improvements when the device is checking less frequently for location services. Try it out for a few days after disabling some of the apps and features you do not care about in location services.

If all else fails I would just wipe your handset. Make sure you back everything up that you want to keep first! Google Accounts for example and SD card for your pics.

Attachments

• 1424992401899.jpg
    1424992401899.jpg
    51.9 KB · Views: 5
  • 1424992490876.jpg
    1424992490876.jpg
    55.9 KB · Views: 5
  • 1424992505280.jpg
    1424992505280.jpg
    55.4 KB · Views: 5

RionDunn

Mar 12, 2014
Visit site
Actually has anyone noticed the "Unified Daemon" using high battery power? What is this and what causes this to use battery. I have a feeling it has something to do with the weather possibly?