SD card slowing down S5?

ehames005

May 10, 2014
Visit site
I just got a S5 last weekend moving over from the iPhone 5s. One of the things I was looking forward to is the expandable memory. I installed a 16 gig sd card and then my lock screen slowed down to the point that it took a few seconds from when I pushed the button to when the screen lit up. I could not figure out what was going on till I removed the sd card and then it sped back up. Is there any way to have both the sd card and a quick lock screen response?

Sent from my SM-G900V using AC Forums mobile app

Greg C

Jan 11, 2013
Visit site
I have never heard of an sd card slowing down a device. I would be interested in knowing more about this if anyone can help. It seems as though the sd card would have nothing to do with the lockscreen.

Halifax

Apr 12, 2011
Visit site
That's a very strange interaction, if that is the culprit. If you have the time I'd try installing it, testing the speed, removing it, testing, installing, testing ... test it with it in and then out again two or three times to see if the slowdown/speed up is repeatable. If it is, then we know for sure it's the card. If it isn't, it's likely to be something else causing it.

Two other thoughts if the card is actually the culprit:
* What class (directly equates to speed) is your memory card? It's often printed on the card, inside a "C" - it almost looks like it's circled. This shouldn't effect anything but how quickly you can take pictures or video, however.
* Maybe your card has errors on it, and needs to be formatted. This shouldn't effect system speed unless the phone is actively trying to read a file in that bad spot, but it's worth a shot. Formatting the card erases everything on it, so make a backup of all your files on it first.

ehames005

May 10, 2014
Visit site
I did do a format of the card. I was thinking that it may be bad also. I actually do not have any files on the card yet. It is a class 4 card.

Last edited:

diamondRanch

Apr 21, 2014
Visit site
I did do a format of the card. I was thinking that it may be bad also. I actually do not have any files on the card yet. It is a class 4 card.

You are going to run into all sorts of problems with your sd card if you don't get a class 10 card, and best with fastest speed, like a SanDisk ultra plus. Picture and video will be extremely slow loading at best.

Posted via Android Central App

Asugargryl

Jul 17, 2014
Visit site
I recently got a SanDisk Ultra 64GB class 10 (MicroSD XC I) and put it right into my galaxy S5 (that I've had for 6 days...) I'm excited at the expandable memory aspect, coming from being an iPhone owner for 7 years. Once I installed the SD caed.. my unlock screen slowed down, when returning to the home screen from an application would take 3-5 seconds.. camera takes forever to load up... (almost 15 seconds this morning!!), took almost 10 seconds for the facebook app to let me see the keyboard to type a comment even.

Can anyone help a newbie out and explain how to fix this? It was very fast and responsive prior to the install of the memory card.

Tazz3L

Sep 27, 2014
Visit site
Have you tried running an app that tests the SD card read-write speeds? Apparently many fake uderperforming SDcards are sold.
I just used "A1 SD Bench" to test my card speeds.There are several other apps that run this test. I did this because of another thread about pictures not saving to the SD card.
That thread is found under "Galaxy S5: Camera/Gallery Issue - Grey box over photos"
My friend is having the photo problem and I hope this uncovers her problem. Hopefully, I'll know in a few days when I see her again.

mizzoudrew

Jun 22, 2012
Visit site
I thankfully just came across this thread, as my screen turn on lag was taking up to 4 seconds. I just removed my SD Card and all issues were instantly fixed.

That said, I bought a brand new Samsung 32GB PRO Class 10 Micro SDHC in September (when these issues started). Why would that fast of a card be messing up my phone? Any ideas on how to be able to use my card while not affecting the phone?

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cloudsofmana