Uninstalling apps - a curious thing I noted

AZgl1500

Feb 4, 2011
Visit site
My Galaxy 'S' Fascinate Verizon would when deleting apps, would also remove the shortcuts to that app.

Just now on my S5 Verizon, I deleted an app and noted that the shortcut to that app was still on the screen.

Wondered what would the shortcut do? Clicked on it and got a message "App not installed" and then Google Play Store popped up with that app ready to download and install again.

Just remarking, that's all.

AZgl1500

Feb 4, 2011
Visit site
The App Manager on the phone

I just looked at Google Play Store and it has changed since last night.
The "Your Apps" is totally gone.

In fact, there is nothing on the left side panel when viewed from Firefox.

Brought up chrome, the look is totally different!

But, no where do I see there is an option to uninstall anything from the Play Store.

Brought up Play Store on the phone, no uninstall options there either.

Last edited:

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
You're unrooted, running stock TouchWiz? What happens if you uninstall via the Google Play app?

AZgl1500

Feb 4, 2011
Visit site
Stock TW, I tried KK Launcher and it is not for me. don't like it.

Stock Verizon subsidized phone, with all of the bloatware turned off.

- - - Updated - - -

You're unrooted, running stock TouchWiz? What happens if you uninstall via the Google Play app?

Are you reading the posts? I answered that already.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site

Look at the timestamps. I didn't see your previous post as I was posting mine, probably because we posted at the same time. Also looks like you edited your post after I posted mine. I'm just trying to help here.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
So on your phone, when you open Google Play and you swipe in from the left, you're saying there is no My Apps option at all? Do you see your Google account listed at the top of the menu?

In any case, what happens when you bring up an installed app (non-bloatware) in Google Play (on your phone)? Do you see an "Uninstall" button, or does it only have an "Open" button?

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site
I just uninstalled Facebook Messenger on my S5 and it removed all the shortcuts.

I have a feeling you were looking at a preinstalled or bloatware app, which is why the Play Store wouldn't show an uninstall button.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Stock TW, I tried KK Launcher and it is not for me. don't like it.

Stock Verizon subsidized phone, with all of the bloatware turned off.

- - - Updated - - -

it looks like you edited your post ex post facto. But even if didn't, he was just trying to help. If he missed it then no big deal. People make mistakes.

Also the forum rules require that you post it a polite manner. Please take a moment to review the forum guidelines linked to in my signature.

dpham00, Android Central Moderator
Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 3

Last edited:

AZgl1500

Feb 4, 2011
Visit site
it looks like you edited your post ex post facto. But even if didn't, he was just trying to help. If he missed it then no big deal. People make mistakes.

Also the forum rules require that you post it a polite manner.

dpham00, Android Central Moderator
Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 3

Sorry guys.... I broke my own rule on posting...

The app was one that I downloaded, Fleksy and I uninstalled it via the Phone's Application Manager. Apparently it does not honor the rules.

On the phone's play store it shows "My apps" and am now looking at KBB.com app and it does show the "Uninstall Option" on the phone's Play Store app.

I just downloaded another app to throw away. I then used the Play Store on the phone to uninstall it. It also left the shortcut on the screen. No difference than the phone's App Mgr.

It is not a big deal, it was just something that I noted and thought I would throw up for other Verizon users to take note of.

AZgl1500

Feb 4, 2011
Visit site
make sure automatic restore option is unchecked in backup and restore settings

Okay.... hadn't given that setting any thought yet. The default is 'checked'...

Unchecked that box, and redid the download and uninstall of that app.
Shortcut still remains on the homescreen....

Not going to waste anymore time on it, it is just a bug that will evaporate within a generation or two.

Relgoshan

May 16, 2011
Visit site
My Galaxy 'S' Fascinate Verizon would when deleting apps, would also remove the shortcuts to that app.

Just now on my S5 Verizon, I deleted an app and noted that the shortcut to that app was still on the screen.

Wondered what would the shortcut do? Clicked on it and got a message "App not installed" and then Google Play Store popped up with that app ready to download and install again.

Just remarking, that's all.

I am still suspecting your attempt to change launchers may have messed something up with the app drawer shortcut permissions. Try removing an app from the app drawer directly, if your S5 supports this. (Menu button while in Apps, there should be an info or uninstall option that shows what you can get rid of.)

This is not a common issue, either the phone arrived buggy or trying to debloat broke something. You may want to Factory Restore sooner rather than later.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tress