pop email issue

bslevin

May 20, 2014
Visit site
i have an employee that has a galaxy s5 and i am having alot of trouble with her pop email.

Everything is set right and the account fully works checking email every 5 mins.. then after one day it stops auto checking for emails and will only pull in the emails when you manually refresh. then after another day it stops altogether and will not retrieve new emails at all, if you click refresh it runs then nothing happens.

If i delete the account altogether and reinstall it it works fine then stops again the same way. any ideas?

Michael Nancarrow

May 19, 2014
Visit site
i have an employee that has a galaxy s5 and i am having alot of trouble with her pop email.

Everything is set right and the account fully works checking email every 5 mins.. then after one day it stops auto checking for emails and will only pull in the emails when you manually refresh. then after another day it stops altogether and will not retrieve new emails at all, if you click refresh it runs then nothing happens.

If i delete the account altogether and reinstall it it works fine then stops again the same way. any ideas?

Okay so that sounds weird. Does this user have any 'cleaning apps' which may be removing files setup to this E-Mail account? The fact that the settings are changing 'automatically' lead me to believe something has control over the refreshing of data, or is able to delete files on the phone/SD that pertain to this E-Mail.

If you're using the stock E-Mail app on the phone, please try using a custom one (such as cloud magic) and advise if the issue persistent.

bslevin

May 20, 2014
Visit site
No there are no special apps, this was literialy out of the box brand new. It is the stock email app.

but the settings are NOT changing they are still the same but they stop workling. So if you look all the settings are the same just will not pull in the emails anymore.

sjaduae

Apr 10, 2014
Visit site
No there are no special apps, this was literialy out of the box brand new. It is the stock email app.

but the settings are NOT changing they are still the same but they stop workling. So if you look all the settings are the same just will not pull in the emails anymore.

Check settings of power save mode re stopping background services

Try setting up as an exchange account as it normally works

Check something is not switching off the synch icon like advance task killer

bslevin

May 20, 2014
Visit site
BUt i don't think any of that will matter, once it stops even it if manually push the refresh/sync it still does not pull in the new mail. It's not that the settings stop it is that the actually mail stops coming in.

Michael Nancarrow

May 19, 2014
Visit site
BUt i don't think any of that will matter, once it stops even it if manually push the refresh/sync it still does not pull in the new mail. It's not that the settings stop it is that the actually mail stops coming in.

Yes however the mail refresh works off settings. It's all about experimenting until you're able to find the root cause.

HTC One M7

AZgl1500

Feb 4, 2011
Visit site
Just for grins, install 'MyMail' and let her try that for a while.
Clicky => https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...re/apps/details?id=com.my.mail&token=270ZD89K

Make sure to set up MyMail as the default email app

When you start up MyMail it will ask you if you want to use it "Always" as the default email app. Tell it yes.
You can always revert back to the other app if you wish as it will be in limbo not being used.

I am quite happy with it on my S5, no issues since install 5 weeks ago.

Checking every 5 minutes? Must be related to the job? I am glad those days are gone forever, instant email and pagers controlled my life for 40 years.

sjaduae

Apr 10, 2014
Visit site

You can press re synch/refresh as many times as you like it will do nothing unless synch icon is turned on in the notifications area

digitalfreaknyc

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
Try setting up as an exchange account or delete the account and reactivate it, maybe its a T-Mobile thingy ? is it the same on WiFi ?

I've tried on Wifi. For example, it currently shows I have 25 new emails waiting for me through the app. On my email (on my computer), they're all read.
It's fine on my gmail account. This is only a problem on my older aol accounts.

EDIT: the attachments problem has been fixed. For some reason, they update changed my download size. The other problem remains. It's been an issue since day 1.

sjaduae

Apr 10, 2014
Visit site
I've tried on Wifi. For example, it currently shows I have 25 new emails waiting for me through the app. On my email (on my computer), they're all read.
It's fine on my gmail account. This is only a problem on my older aol accounts.

EDIT: the attachments problem has been fixed. For some reason, they update changed my download size. The other problem remains. It's been an issue since day 1.

1 down 1 to go :)

Have you looked at the manual settings for AOL on their website it could be different to the automated ones or even check them against your PC settings for incoming and outgoing servers

digitalfreaknyc

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
Well, it LOOKS like I might have success. I completely changed several of my IMAP settings. I now have "none" checked under "security type" and I also changed the Ports.

In addition to the sync, the "spam filter" button has now come back!

Let's see if it sticks!

sjaduae

Apr 10, 2014
Visit site
Well, it LOOKS like I might have success. I completely changed several of my IMAP settings. I now have "none" checked under "security type" and I also changed the Ports.

In addition to the sync, the "spam filter" button has now come back!

Let's see if it sticks!

Well done, so not such a crappy S5 after all LOL

sjaduae

Apr 10, 2014
Visit site
Oh trust me, I'm still having MAJOR problems with the speakerphone. That's my #1 problem and the ticket is still open with t-mobile.

Well you can't blame Sammy for your choice of carrier :)

I used AT&T with no problems including international roaming and on our private phones, although we unlocked those. We also used the unlocked ones in several countries and even phones from other counties in US with AT&T with no problems

I see your problem is not speaker phone but the mic when on speaker phone, have you switched on noise suppression ?

digitalfreaknyc

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
I see your problem is not speaker phone but the mic when on speaker phone, have you switched on noise suppression ?

Yup. It's something disabled (or, alternatively, turned on) with the software inside of it.

I'm assuming that a lot of these problems are becuase of modifications T-mobile has made...but one can never be sure unless you test it on all other networks, unfortunately.

digitalfreaknyc

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
I will say this: my fix is not a perfect fix. Does it sync? Yes. However, I've noticed that it takes about 10-20 minutes on average for it to sync properly. It's still frustrating but it works.