Lock Screen Timeout

awriternot

Mar 19, 2011
Visit site
Maybe I'm missing something but I can't figure out how to adjust the lock screen timeout. Mine times out in like 2 seconds & it's driving me absolutely crazy. How can I make it a longer time?

Thanks.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

HiddenPuppy

Mar 24, 2014
Visit site
Maybe I'm missing something but I can't figure out how to adjust the lock screen timeout. Mine times out in like 2 seconds & it's driving me absolutely crazy. How can I make it a longer time?

Thanks.

Settings, Display, Screen timeout for screen timeout, not sure if this is what you are looking for

IBMJunkman

May 10, 2014
Visit site
That does not affect the Lock Screen timeout. My Verizon S5 lock screen times out in 5 seconds.
For a screen with ICE info that is too short.

AZgl1500

Feb 4, 2011
Visit site
That does not affect the Lock Screen timeout. My Verizon S5 lock screen times out in 5 seconds.
For a screen with ICE info that is too short.

I have mine set to 10 minutes, is that long enough?

Settings/search

enter "time"

choose "screen timeout", it offers
15, 30 seconds
1, 2, 5, 10 minutes

or
Settings/Display/Screen timeout

I use search for nearly everything because it is much faster, only 3 characters needed most of the time to find what you want.

kingsley404

Jul 3, 2012
Visit site
Do you have power saving mode on? That forces the lockscreen to turn off after 3 seconds by default. I wish we could turn that option off but leave power saving mode on.

Last edited:

IBMJunkman

May 10, 2014
Visit site
Mine says 5 minutes. That time option is for the main screen. It does not affect the time the lock screen is displayed. Mine is displayed for about 5 seconds. I timed it with my iPad. :)

fofjjsr

Android4life
Aug 18, 2011
Visit site
Mine says 5 minutes. That time option is for the main screen. It does not affect the time the lock screen is displayed. Mine is displayed for about 5 seconds. I timed it with my iPad. :)

Either you have power saving mode on or some kind of software glitch, because mine is set for 10 minutes and the lock screen doesn't come on until 10 minutes when the phone goes in to standby. I time it, or if I put the phone in standby on my own.

djh074

Sep 12, 2010
Visit site
I believe the op is referring to the amount of time from pressing the home/power until you swipe/code to unlock. I had the same problem. For example. I had the remote control widget on the lock screen but there wasn't enough time to get to it before the screen went black again.

If this what the op is referring to; the only fix I could find was to use a different lock screen. I use widgetlocker. It has a setting for exactly that.

Posted via Android Central App

fofjjsr

Android4life
Aug 18, 2011
Visit site
I believe the op is referring to the amount of time from pressing the home/power until you swipe/code to unlock. I had the same problem. For example. I had the remote control widget on the lock screen but there wasn't enough time to get to it before the screen went black again.

If this what the op is referring to; the only fix I could find was to use a different lock screen. I use widgetlocker. It has a setting for exactly that.

Ahhh. Yes, only way to fix that is to do what you saying.

monicakm

Sep 8, 2012
Visit site
No, there is an easier way. Enable "Smart Stay". As long as you're looking at the (lock) screen, in this case, the lock screen will stay on. Without it, it stays on about 5-6 seconds. With it I can verify a minute. I've not tried it longer.

fofjjsr

Android4life
Aug 18, 2011
Visit site
No, there is an easier way. Enable "Smart Stay". As long as you're looking at the (lock) screen, in this case, the lock screen will stay on. Without it, it stays on about 5-6 seconds. With it I can verify a minute. I've not tried it longer.

Good point, not sure how much of an affect that has in totality though.

monicakm

Sep 8, 2012
Visit site
Good point, not sure how much of an affect that has in totality though.

what do you mean? Does it not solve his problem? plus it solves the problem of the phone fading to black while you're looking at it but not touching it...works for me☺

IBMJunkman

May 10, 2014
Visit site
I had Smart Stay on but it never seemed to work. I have the HAL wallpaper and if I look into the eye the screen does stay on. I noticed a little eye in the status line at the top would blink apparently indicating it is working.

fofjjsr

Android4life
Aug 18, 2011
Visit site
what do you mean? Does it not solve his problem? plus it solves the problem of the phone fading to black while you're looking at it but not touching it...works for me☺

What I was saying is I don't think it was exactly what they were looking for. :)

Sent from my Galaxy S5

awriternot

Mar 19, 2011
Visit site

Ya. That's exactly it. I was reading the replies & wondering what I was doing wrong because my settings were already set as suggested. It was hard to articulate but driving me insane. Gonna try the other link screen as suggested. Thanks!