Might have figured out something on this LTE drop to 3g and won't go back to LTE

Jon Jackson

Apr 21, 2014
Visit site
I noticed or think I did that when I get to work I'm on Wifi, on the way home I have LTE until I hit a certain area. LTE will not come back even in areas with LTE, people have said they have to toggle airplane mode. But I noticed when I get home I connect to my Wifi, then go to the roof deck and it disconnects from Wifi and goes to a LTE connection. Is this a sprint problem? A Samsung problem? Is there a toggle? What if I was using this for navigation? How would I know LTE was available? Is there an upcoming patch?

Posted via Android Central App

schwanz583

Apr 15, 2014
Visit site
Unfortunately it's a sprint problem. I've already explained the whole thing on other threads so im not going to again. But th eremald is no fix in the near future, and I was really bummed. I was with sprint for over 10 years and finally had enough... I'm now with att and my GS5 works flawlessly! !!! Good luck, I hope sprint does something because I really enjoyed there plans, not so much there service..

Jon Jackson

Apr 21, 2014
Visit site
Unfortunately it's a sprint problem. I've already explained the whole thing on other threads so im not going to again. But th eremald is no fix in the near future, and I was really bummed. I was with sprint for over 10 years and finally had enough... I'm now with att and my GS5 works flawlessly! !!! Good luck, I hope sprint does something because I really enjoyed there plans, not so much there service..

It just got weirder. Came home made sure I wasn't on Wifi. Wouldn't go to LTE which I get here. Went on Wifi then disengaged got LTE. Decided to go to a dead spot in my loft. LTE dropped and I came out to my main area I was in 3g and then LTE kicked in. Now I'm really confused.

Relgoshan

May 16, 2011
Visit site
It just got weirder. Came home made sure I wasn't on Wifi. Wouldn't go to LTE which I get here. Went on Wifi then disengaged got LTE. Decided to go to a dead spot in my loft. LTE dropped and I came out to my main area I was in 3g and then LTE kicked in. Now I'm really confused.

Short answer is you need a different network or a phone that does not have the bug. Not all phones have this behavior on Sprint (and to a lesser extent on Verizon).

Jon Jackson

Apr 21, 2014
Visit site
Short answer is you need a different network or a phone that does not have the bug. Not all phones have this behavior on Sprint (and to a lesser extent on Verizon).

It's a Sprint thing apparently. Sigh. At least I am not paying the bill for my phone. But still....UGGGGGG!

sel1965

Nov 7, 2009
Visit site
It's not just a Sprint thing if it were then my HTC M8 would do this as well. Also there have been some people reporting the issue on Verizon.

Jon Jackson

Apr 21, 2014
Visit site
It's not just a Sprint thing if it were then my HTC M8 would do this as well. Also there have been some people reporting the issue on Verizon.

It;s a Sprint thing with SPARK. I could talk and do internet on my S3.
from Sprint: "Sprint Spark devices leverage eCSFB technology (enhanced Circuit Switch Fall Back) which enables single radio functionality in the handset. This allows Sprint to leverage the many benefits of Network Vision, including the ability to utilize multiple CDMA and LTE spectrum bands efficiently. Although, simultaneous voice and LTE is not supported on new Sprint Spark devices, it does provide improved coverage, quality of voice and data service, as well as improved battery performance."-Statement from Sprint

I can't find the other paragraph where he admits Sprint is the only carrier that can't do this...but insists the Sprint quality will be better than others....

- - - Updated - - -

from Sprint: "Sprint Spark devices leverage eCSFB technology (enhanced Circuit Switch Fall Back) which enables single radio functionality in the handset. This allows Sprint to leverage the many benefits of Network Vision, including the ability to utilize multiple CDMA and LTE spectrum bands efficiently. Although, simultaneous voice and LTE is not supported on new Sprint Spark devices, it does provide improved coverage, quality of voice and data service, as well as improved battery performance."-Statement from Sprint

I can't find the other paragraph where he admits Sprint is the only carrier that can't do this...but insists the Sprint quality will be better than others....

- - - Updated - - -

sel1965

Nov 7, 2009
Visit site
I had the S5 and M8 both and the S5 was only one that would not switch to LTE like it should. The M8 does great and I love it. Problem was I liked the screen and a few other features on the S5 better but it didn't work out for me. Sprint has said that Samsung will issue a fix but they don't know when.

Jon Jackson

Apr 21, 2014
Visit site
I had the S5 and M8 both and the S5 was only one that would not switch to LTE like it should. The M8 does great and I love it. Problem was I liked the screen and a few other features on the S5 better but it didn't work out for me. Sprint has said that Samsung will issue a fix but they don't know when.

I am not quite sure why my post ended up like that with multiple(s)

Anyways, the way Sprint sounds, it's on purpose, it's not going to be "fixed" they don't see it as a problem, they see it as an enhanced format.

sel1965

Nov 7, 2009
Visit site
I am not quite sure why my post ended up like that with multiple(s)

Anyways, the way Sprint sounds, it's on purpose, it's not going to be "fixed" they don't see it as a problem, they see it as an enhanced format.
I'm not sure I agree with that. Whenever I spoke to Sprint about the issue of 3G to LTE they have always admitted to me that it is a problem. If it is supposed to be this way then why doesn't the HTC M8 do this? Sorry but I just don't agree with you.

Jon Jackson

Apr 21, 2014
Visit site
I'm not sure I agree with that. Whenever I spoke to Sprint about the issue of 3G to LTE they have always admitted to me that it is a problem. If it is supposed to be this way then why doesn't the HTC M8 do this? Sorry but I just don't agree with you.

I'm getting two issues mixed up, this is what happens when you are trying to work and play.

The 3g loss then no connect to LTE seems to be intermittent for me. Usually, I have LTE even if I have dropped out of LTE to 3g.

I verified this by going into a dead zone in my loft, losing LTE, coming out and being on 3g then LTE kicks in.

My point was it seems that if you on 3g then hook up to wifi and then out of wifi it picks the LTE back up. So in other words, it works like airplane mode.

The initial search from scratch, from wifi or airplane mode is what initiates the LTE, sometimes it's not searching for LTE, it's just content to hang on to the 3g it has, not understanding there's a better connection available.