S5 vs S5 Active

sqa4life

Aug 24, 2011
Visit site
Hi,
I am debating between the AT&T SG S5 & S5 Active.
What are the differences?
I Google but didn't find much info.
I take my phone to the gym daily
BTW, I've been using the Note 3 for about a year now. Love it, but the S5 is lighter and better size for my small hand :)

Thanks for your advice/input.

AZgl1500

Feb 4, 2011
Visit site
Hi,
I Google but didn't find much info.
I take my phone to the gym daily
BTW, I've been using the Note 3 for about a year now. Love it, but the S5 is lighter and better size for my small hand :)

Thanks for your advice/input.

The Active also has removed a couple of features that are standard in the S5.
i am looking for where I read that, but no bookmarks on it.

sqa4life

Aug 24, 2011
Visit site
Here's some info on the differences. The S5 itself is already waterproof/dustproof, so the Active version adds shock resistance and, I assume, higher IP rating for water/dust resistance. Also, it sort of looks like a military device.
Samsung Galaxy S5 Active now available at AT&T stores and online exclusively | Android Central

Thank you.
They're the same price with 2 yrs contract. I think the S5 Active is a better value. I like the protective on the corners as well.

bembol

Trusted Member
Jun 18, 2011
Visit site
If the specs are identical and it had capacitive buttons like the S5 I would go with the Active. I like the design better.

Pro S5

AZgl1500

Feb 4, 2011
Visit site
Hi,

It looses the Fingerprint sensor, but it gains 3 real and usuable pushbuttons.

AT&T releases rugged, shock-resistant Samsung Galaxy S5 Active | Greenbot

The LTE-friendly S5 Active is nearly identical to the base Galaxy S5. You get the same 2.5GHz processor, the same 5.1-inch AMOLED screen, and the same 16 megapixel rear-facing camera.
Samsung's Galaxy S5 Active on AT&T.
What you don't get, however, is the snazzy fingerprint sensor. Instead you get three sturdy looking buttons on the front of the device. The case of the phone is also far tougher looking, with testosterone-pulsing exposed screws on the back, shock and water resistance (up to 3 f.t of H2O for 30 minutes), and dust proofing.

GeekNews

Oct 25, 2012
Visit site
IMO - this right here makes it a winner for me

Meets US Mil-STD-810G for water-resistance and to withstand dust, shock, vibration, temperature extremes, humidity, and high altitude. Submersible up to 1m (3 ft) of water for up to 30 mins with covers tightly closed. Rinse promptly to remove residue. Shock-resistant when dropped from ≤ 4 ft onto flat surface..

I haven't seen if it includes Aqua Mode for underwater shots like the S4 Active does but my guess would be yes.

brewzer

Dec 13, 2010
Visit site
This is the same dilemma I'm facing. I would take the active but have decided to wait a little longer for the prime model.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using AC Forums mobile app

sqa4life

Aug 24, 2011
Visit site
I just went to 3 different AT&T stores and none carry the s5 active at the moment. They told me to check back on Sunday :(

So, if you're going to get one, which color would you pick?
I think the Titanium Gray looks clean and durable. However, the Camo Green looks cool.

sqa4life

Aug 24, 2011
Visit site
The s4 active made some sacrifice s on camera and screen

Posted from my Nexus 7 2013 or Samsung galaxy S5

did you mean s4 active or s5 active?
I noticed the comparison video on youtube outdated and they used the development version of the S5 Active in their clip
post #6 above was accurate!

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
IMO - this right here makes it a winner for me

Meets US Mil-STD-810G for water-resistance and to withstand dust, shock, vibration, temperature extremes, humidity, and high altitude. Submersible up to 1m (3 ft) of water for up to 30 mins with covers tightly closed. Rinse promptly to remove residue. Shock-resistant when dropped from ≤ 4 ft onto flat surface..

I haven't seen if it includes Aqua Mode for underwater shots like the S4 Active does but my guess would be yes.

Doesn't the regular S5 already have that rating? I know I've seen the underwater shots...

Sent from my SM-P600 using AC Forums mobile app

OJsakila

Jun 28, 2010
Visit site
I just pre ordered mine with a two year agreement with AT&T ...$199.00 and SHOULD be here Tuesday...
Here's the deal. Next Friday (not Sunday) this phone will be available in the store. And don't count on the camo or the ruby red unless you live in a metropolis. You HAVE to preorder online now and not use #611 customer service to acquire the phone this second. They might walk you thru it on the phone but you have to pre Order ONLINE manually if you want that camo phone before the end of next week. They told me (after two 20+ minute phone calls and one meltdown) that they can't access the ability to make the order for me even though I had my credit card in hand... Whatever with the silly red tape and hoops AT&T is making everybody jump thru.. I do now in fact have confirmation email of the new samsung galaxy s5 Active to be shipped Monday with express overnight ...business days only :(

Very excited and quite pleased that I'll have something somewhat unique at that moment...certainly in this crap town I live in..

GeekNews

Oct 25, 2012
Visit site
Doesn't the regular S5 already have that rating? I know I've seen the underwater shots...

Sent from my SM-P600 using AC Forums mobile app

It has the same water resistant and dustproof rating but not the shock and vibration ratings. As for underwater shots AFAIK it is not possible with the S5 since you can't use a the screen underwater and there isn't a dedicated camera button. Perhaps someone can chime in on that?

Thullraven

Jan 28, 2012
Visit site
Actually, the S5 Active will have a quick access button on the side for whatever you want. You could set it for camera and use it underwater. That said, Samsung isn't pushing the underwater photo ability like it did with the S4 Active in case things don't work out. :)

robstunner

Android Connoisseur
Jun 3, 2010
Visit site
I'm considering one as well since I just got my m8 silver on att next and have 12 more days to decide if I want it. Really love that I can root/covert this thing though.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

DirtMcGirt

Feb 8, 2011
Visit site
I had to order the camo green one online via AT&T store. Nobody has one around the DC area. Probably won't get it for a week according to my order status.

sqa4life

Aug 24, 2011
Visit site
call them and tell them about the advertised free express shipping. They should be able to expedite your shipping. Also, you'll get $50 google play credit.

I just ordered mine and expected my new toy (Camo Green, support our army :)) by Tuesday PST.

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Yup, you can't use the screen underwater, but you can start the video before diving in. As for pictures, you CAN assign actions to the volume rocker (either to zoom or to take the picture). Same thing if you use a third party camera app that supports it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
samahmed336699