Wireless Charging Qi Pad question.

Chief G-Hawk

Sep 9, 2013
Visit site
So recently I have purchased the Official Galaxy S5 Wireless charging back cover, black. Like the one shown here: https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...s-accessories%2FEP-CG900IBUSTA&token=v40HCqgh

Along with the Wireless charging pad mini from Samsung. Last night I charged my phone using the wireless charging method over night, and everything seems to be working fine. The green light indication on the charging pad indicates that the phone is placed properly and is charging. I understand that the orange light indicates that it's not placed correctly and can't detect it and would need to try again. When I woke up in the morning, to my surprise I found that the charging pad was orange and was blinking.

When I turned on the phone in the morning it was at 98%, curious, I checked the battery stat page and indicated that it has been 4 hours since it was unplugged. I do use Battery Doctor, since it does record when it was placed in charger and I unplugged it. It indicated that around 1:30 am. So few question I have to those who charge wirelessly, I need some input.

1. When fully charged, does it automatically disconnect itself from the wireless charger (Is this normal)?

2. Is this a safety feature to prevent overcharging? (*I do know that Lithium ion based batteries don't typically overcharge as they have a circuit that once the battery is fully charged, charging stops and remains on A/C power until it is unplugged)

Other than that charging wirelessly is awesome. I no longer have to worry about the USB cover and will remain shut unless I need to connect it to the computer. One downside I have with this is that no case will fit (although some do managed to get it to fit with some changes or modifying the case).

I'm also looking into the aluminum bumper cases as I'm sure it would fit just well with the added thickness to the wireless charging cover. But I wonder if reception would be an issue?

Last edited:

AZgl1500

Feb 4, 2011
Visit site
IIRC it was written somewhere that the OEM Samsung wireless charger kit does shut off charging when it reaches 100%.

I just looked for my bookmark on that..... can't find it.

My wireless charger is a $18.99 el cheapo unit.... which I seriously doubt has the auto shutoff feature.
the phone always shows 100% when I lift it up off the charging pad.

However, I am not worried about it because I have Battery Doctor installed and it will control the charging rate.
If one watches Battery Doctor while it is charging, it clearly shows the charging mode. I have seen it display "Trickle Charging' as it gets close to 95% or so.

I notice the case temperature drops when that happens, so the current must be throttled down.

Iroxusux

Dec 9, 2013
Visit site
I use a Qi wireless charging pad and the Charging card (not the back cover replacement. I dont want my phone getting bigger and me not able to use my Otterbox) and i leave it on the pad all the time.
To answer your question, 1) it does not turn off when i fully charge
2) I've never had a problem overcharging. i always take it off, even at night (wake up and remove it in the middle of the night. Just weird routine, haha)

AZgl1500

Feb 4, 2011
Visit site
Also, OP. If you want to be able to use a case, use this Amazon.com: S5 PWRcard - Qi Wireless Charging Receiver Card Coil for Samsung Galaxy S5 SV: Cell Phones & Accessories
This doesn't increase the bulk as much as a new back cover would. i used the card on my s4 and was able to use my Otterbox, no problem

I should have included my wireless charger link also. It is a thin mylar wafer with the charging coil embedded in the mylar.

Does not increase the phone's thickness at all. In fact, I had to place a very small piece of business card over the charging contacts to make it reliable. that done, it works every time for me.

$18.99 for this one.
* Qi Standard Wireless Charger kit 'mine'

Iroxusux

Dec 9, 2013
Visit site
I should have included my wireless charger link also. It is a thin mylar wafer with the charging coil embedded in the mylar.

Does not increase the phone's thickness at all. In fact, I had to place a very small piece of business card over the charging contacts to make it reliable. that done, it works every time for me.

$18.99 for this one.

Nice! I almost bought the replaceable back for the S5, but luckily i read the reviews first, and, with NEVER leaving my phone out of my case, it was not an option. The cards work totally fine with me

Iroxusux

Dec 9, 2013
Visit site

$18.99 for this one.

Also, instead of using a business card, i just use a really small piece of scotch tape. works fine for me

tutor

Dec 13, 2010
Visit site
I also use a wireless card, not the back cover. I haven't seen the need for the tape over the contacts issue thanks for the tip if I start seeing a charging problem though. I have been using both a 900 puck and a RavPower puck for charging, it seems to be around 10% a hour and stays at 100% until I remove the device in the morning when I head off to work. Temperature wise, the phone heats up to about 100 degrees while charging with or without a cover on it. I'm currently using the Spigen SlimArmor and haven't had any problems charging the phone without having to remove it.

Posted via Android Central App via a Samsung S5

Chief G-Hawk

Sep 9, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for the input guys. Well I did find an aluminum bumper case that does fit with the Official wireless charging back cover. I've also posted a video and some photos if you go into the Accessories sub forum you will find it there. Although the wireless charging back cover may be thick, but I definitely prefer it that way because for one, it protects the camera when laying the phone down. Also it is a lot easier to grip the phone or rather holding the phone with it than the one that comes with the phone since the camera is sticking out and doesn't lay flat on the table.

Also, I prefer not to use those cheap ones where you can just install the coil. I've been watching YouTube about it. While it does fit and works fine, it does stick out a little bit and thus lose the waterproofing capability. So I'd rather have the added thickness to the device by using the Official wireless charging back cover made by Samsung than using those cheap ones.

But then it's all personal preference.

AZgl1500

Feb 4, 2011
Visit site
I am using the Speck CandyShell Grip case.

It is thick enough to give the camera about 1/8" of clearance, so laying it down on any relatively smooth surface, the camera lens is protected.

Chief G-Hawk

Sep 9, 2013
Visit site
Yes using a case will cover and protect the phone. For me, aesthetic wise, I just want the sides to be protected and leave the back be uncovered, thus that is why I got the aluminum bumper.

Chief G-Hawk

Sep 9, 2013
Visit site

tutor

Dec 13, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for the input guys. ...
Also, I prefer not to use those cheap ones where you can just install the coil. I've been watching YouTube about it. While it does fit and works fine, it does stick out a little bit and thus lose the waterproofing capability. So I'd rather have the added thickness to the device by using the Official wireless charging back cover made by Samsung than using those cheap ones...
The thin coils do not make a bump under the cover nor appears to break the water proofing seal of the phone. The area around the camera lens is still as flat as it is without the wafer card in. I have seen those coils you are referring to though, they are made (from what I can see) by coiled wire where as the wafer cards seem to be foil based.
Doesn't really matter tho, like you said to each their own. I'm not a techie, i.e. I couldn't tell ya the difference between an ohm or an amp. Have a good one, if I ever do decide to pick up one of those charging back, I'll keep in mind about that cover, I see a lot of people asking about one that will fit that back cover, thats good info.

madhatter2426

Jun 11, 2011
Visit site
Must admit I bought the official wireless charger and back. Every night I put my phone on it. It charges to about 84%. Then orange led starts flashing meaning a problem. Take it off and put down again and it starts charging again. This is not right so I then bought the flip case just in case it was a problem with the back. Same problem again. Phoned samsung up and they advised me to send everything back to them. Now just waiting to see what happens . It very annoying when you only just get a part charge plus the flashing orange wakes me up. The charger can't overcharge the battery as it has over charge protection.

Sent from my SM-P600 using Tapatalk

AZgl1500

Feb 4, 2011
Visit site
Must admit I bought the official wireless charger and back. Every night I put my phone on it. It charges to about 84%. Then orange led starts flashing meaning a problem. Take it off and put down again and it starts charging again. This is not right so I then bought the flip case just in case it was a problem with the back. Same problem again. Phoned samsung up and they advised me to send everything back to them. Now just waiting to see what happens . It very annoying when you only just get a part charge plus the flashing orange wakes me up. The charger can't overcharge the battery as it has over charge protection.

Sent from my SM-P600 using Tapatalk

That model charger "seems to have" more issues than other Qi chargers.

Mine is wafer thin and fits inside the OEM case and does not bulge out the case at all.