Garbage battery life

Grey Hawk

Aug 27, 2014
Visit site
Main reason I got this phone was that I kept hearing how awesome the battery life was.

Well I'm currently at 25% battery 6h 2min on battery with screen on time of 2h 53min.

That seems awful. My leading usages of power are:
  • Screen 22%
  • Fantasy Football (yahoo) 21%
  • Android System 19%
  • Android OS 10%
  • Snapchat 4%
  • com.android 3%
  • Cell Standby 3%
  • Facebook 2%
  • Chrome 2%

This is with no location, no wifi, no bluetooth, and always in 4G area with brightness at as low as it can go.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
That does seem pretty bad. But the numbers there might not tell the whole story. Do the following:

Charge up to 100%, then let it drain to 20-30% with normal usage, without charging in between. Then show us:

1. The main Settings>Battery screen.
2. The fullscreen battery graph screen (which shows Awake time and Cell Signal Strength).
3. The Screen category (to see total Screen On time).
4. The Cell Standby category, if present (to see Time Without Signal).

http://forums.androidcentral.com/am...ide-how-post-screenshots-android-central.html

Grey Hawk

Aug 27, 2014
Visit site
That does seem pretty bad. But the numbers there might not tell the whole story. Do the following:

Charge up to 100%, then let it drain to 20-30% with normal usage, without charging in between. Then show us:

1. The main Settings>Battery screen.
2. The fullscreen battery graph screen (which shows Awake time and Cell Signal Strength).
3. The Screen category (to see total Screen On time).
4. The Cell Standby category, if present (to see Time Without Signal).

http://forums.androidcentral.com/am...ide-how-post-screenshots-android-central.html

Here are my stats from yesterday:

zG345ak.png

7T1kciF.png

FxdJlsn.png

4V3URLX.png

1WCpQZu.png

GSAM pics
c5X8ZsD.png

KEQmKjO.png

punk999

Aug 27, 2014
Visit site
Turn the brightness down to 20%, I get screen on time of 6-7 hrs from Internet browsing and watching movies.

trickym81

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
For the last week or so, my battery life had been terrible. I was getting only 6-7 hours on a full charge. Today it's a lot better. I'm currently at 47% and I have 9 hours on battery and 1:30 screen time. The only change that I made was turning off auto-brightness and reducing the screen brightness. Hopefully that's what fixed it.

black_thorne

Aug 24, 2014
Visit site
My battery was pretty bad when I first got mine. Some things I do now is make sure all apps are off and not running by hitting the lower left soft key and 'end all' apps button and turned off Blu tooth. I've been getting pretty good battery life. Currently at 13 hours with 53% battery left.

It seems as though it has gotten better with time, as if it's learning usage and getting more efficient. I've had mine for about a month now. It's my first Android anything, so it's been a learning experience for me. I've always had iPhones before.

nicholasdejohn

May 8, 2011
Visit site
I thinking the same thing. My battery life has been going down hill slowly but I am starting to realize it more this morning. Here's my stats. Tell me what you think.

Posted via Android Central App

Attachments

• Screenshot_2014-09-05-11-32-24.jpg
    Screenshot_2014-09-05-11-32-24.jpg
    58 KB · Views: 73
  • Screenshot_2014-09-05-11-32-50.jpg
    Screenshot_2014-09-05-11-32-50.jpg
    54.6 KB · Views: 73
  • Screenshot_2014-09-05-11-32-40.jpg
    Screenshot_2014-09-05-11-32-40.jpg
    39 KB · Views: 73
  • Screenshot_2014-09-05-11-32-45.jpg
    Screenshot_2014-09-05-11-32-45.jpg
    61.1 KB · Views: 73

iphone5s

Jul 28, 2013
Visit site
@OP

Would you consider disabling background data? There is a thread or two on that topic here in AC. Seems to be a safe way to manage power.

Settings/Power/Power Saving Mode

Shams H

Aug 4, 2014
Visit site
This is the way it is. If you love the S5 (Like I do) you're gonna have to get used to 3 times charge per day with heavy use.
before I bought my S5 I watched like a 1000 review and everyone kept saying how it has a great battery and one day with moderate to heavy use which is just IMPOSSIBLE !
the only way you would get 24 hours with the S5 is if you turn off everything and turn on power saving, which makes no sense when having a phone like the S5. or you could do what I did and get a spare battery . :)

PainFX

May 2, 2014
Visit site
I thinking the same thing. My battery life has been going down hill slowly but I am starting to realize it more this morning. Here's my stats. Tell me what you think.

Posted via Android Central App

I made a thread about Android System HIGH. Seems like no one knows the real answer.. You are not the only one.

clevin

Nov 12, 2010
Visit site
Turn off background sync, turn off data when not in use. Use dark mode for as many apps add possible (if they have it).

Google's hidden data transfer is a massive battery killer.

@T-Mobile GN3

osvanberg

Apr 16, 2014
Visit site
Turn off background sync, turn off data when not in use. Use dark mode for as many apps add possible (if they have it).

Google's hidden data transfer is a massive battery killer.

@T-Mobile GN3
So you suggest pretty much to cripple the phone and take away it's smart features and great screen to make it usable?

SAMmarked1

Jun 23, 2014
Visit site
Yesterday I got 26 hrs on my battery and I used it most that time. Once I disabled sync I ran it with 4G and WiFi, kept BT and GPS off though. Sync is a major battery killer bc of Google services, email accounts set to push, and other apps syncing. I did a factory reset bc I was getting horrible battery life, I also learned to control the wake locks which were apps keeping the cpu up.

Posted via the Android Central App

sirmaru

Apr 11, 2014
Visit site
So you suggest pretty much to cripple the phone and take away it's smart features and great screen to make it usable?

Most folks are busy working, watching TV, reading eBooks, investing, sleeping, etc. to use the s5 apps 24 hours per day. When actually using apps, keep all apps running and operating. When doing other "stuff," use Ultra Power Savings Mode which still allows phone calls and messaging. I get an average of 7 days between charges doing that.

I own a PC and a copper wire phone (gets power when cell towers and power is down in my area) with 4 mobile receivers as well. I play games and access forums on my PC, not my phone.

If one does not own a PC or copper wire phones and never sleeps, then the s5 must have full apps running 24 hours per day and then one can only expect 12 hours between 2 hour charges.

AZgl1500

Feb 4, 2011
Visit site
I approach it a bit differently...

I use MacroDroid to turn the internet off when the screen is locked. Why should it be talking to Google and the email servers, or Facebook if the phone is asleep and in my pocket? no need for that.

When I unlock the screen, MacroDroid turns the internet on again.
All is well and good, and the battery life is terrific.

If for instance, I don't use the phone for 12 hours, the battery will be at about 90% when I turn the phone on because it has been idling along just barely sipping battery juice.

This gives me a lot of control over when I need to recharge the battery.
It also ensures that there is a LOT of battery when I want to use the phone regardless if it has been an hour or 10 hours since it was charged.

jeetu4444

Trusted Member
Sep 3, 2014
Visit site
I just got S5...I am getting decent battery life around 16 to 17 hrs...though I don't have many apps on it...

Posted via the Android Central App

Attachments

• Screenshot_2014-09-06-07-26-45.jpg
    Screenshot_2014-09-06-07-26-45.jpg
    55 KB · Views: 38

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GeneralCaveman216