How do I know what apps are running in the background so that I may close them, so they aren't using up my battery life?

VarietyPacks

Jun 5, 2014
Visit site
Unused Application Processes/Battery Life

Hello,

On a quest to better my battery life, I went searching in my phone. I came across the "Running" apps in the application manager and noticed a plethora of applications running that I had not been using. Much like a computer, I have no idea what processes I might be able to end and what I shouldn't end for the sake of the phone's functionality. Then, there were things like 2048, which I haven't played for like a month, running...?

Can anyone help me figure out which applications I can end the processes on? And can anyone tell me why regular apps like random games/facebook/facebook messenger are still running even though I haven't used them?

Also, do these "running" apps chew up my battery life? I would assume they do.

Here's a story about my battery life:

Recently with the iPhone 6 coming out, I have noticed just how bad the battery life on my Galaxy s5 is. A couple of my friends got the iPhone 6 plus and can use the phone continuously for extensive amounts of time while hardly even putting a dent in the battery life.

To give an example, yesterday I drove somewhere that was about 2 hours away while my friend with his 6 plus had GPS going nearly the entire time without a charger, both on the way there and on the way back. I had my phone charging throughout the entire car ride there. Throughout the day, I really only used my phone for texting (and not that much) and that was about it. My friend was continuously using his phone for everything and never had a stable wifi connection.

By the end of the day, his phone was at 35% while mine was only at 40%. Clearly his battery life is VASTLY better than mine. It was basically a comparison between my phone doing close to nothing and his phone doing close to everything while mine had been charged more recently and his just destroyed mine.

Thanks for any help!

ABOSWORTH007

Oct 8, 2013
Visit site
Re: Unused Application Processes/Battery Life

Hello,

Here's a story about my battery life:

A couple of my friends got the iPhone 6 plus and can use the phone continuously for extensive amounts of time while hardly even putting a dent in the battery life.

While he didn't put a dent in the battery life, he probably did put a dent in the phone. LOL. Sorry, had to do it.

To be helpful for a second, I suggest disabling all of the junk apps you don't use. I find the S5 battery to be quite good in my experience but I have all of the carrier bloatware disabled and turn off WIFI when I'm not in range.

VarietyPacks

Jun 5, 2014
Visit site

No worries, I give them so much crap about their phones. "So does your curve to the left or to the right?"

Thanks for the tip, though!

hawkwind212

May 19, 2013
Visit site

You sound like a person that would benefit from using the battery saving app such as 'greenify'. If you have no idea which app to disable, an app like greenify can do the task for you, lots of people sware by it. I've never used greenify app, but I too have an issue with my battery life. My solution is to use an app call 'deep sleep battery saver pro', which puts my phone into the deep sleep state whenever it's not being used. Which helps conserve the energy, since the display is one of the biggest battery drainer. Also, a good quality battery such as 'zerolemon' brand, helps extending the battery's life too.

Sent from my LG-E980 using Tapatalk

AZgl1500

Feb 4, 2011
Visit site

I handle the battery situation differently than a lot of folks.

1st, I have turned OFF every app that I do not use period.

2nd, I installed MacroDroid and created a couple of macros that monitor the screen status.

When the screen is locked, MacroDroid turns off the internet. The GPS stays ON and is in High Accuracy Mode, has never been a problem.

when the screen is unlocked, MacroDroid turns the internet back ON, and all is good to go.

IMO, there is absolutely no need at all for the internet to be available if you are NOT using the phone.
I do NOT want to hear about joe blo eating his new found Mexican dish at the local hostel.

The phone stills works just fine for SMS and telco calls.

So, having said that, my phone came off charger last night at 2200 hours and it is now 1900 hours, so about 21 hours of Off Charger use and the battery status is 74%.

I have used the phone several times today for telco, SMS, emails, reading news from the major news outlets, listening to Rush Limbaugh (oh, that was on the radio, sorry
ROFL.gif.pagespeed.ce.uQ-xVOmh9m.gif
)... but my point is, if you turn off the internet when the screen is locked, that battery will literally last you for days between charges.

I can easily get 4 or 5 days per charge if need be. I usually don't, as I have the Qi wireless charger installed. I let that top off the battery every night when I go to sleep.

I will gladly help anyone with MacroDroid macros by PM or in the open forum.

Attachments

• 22 Hrs on battery.jpg
    22 Hrs on battery.jpg
    162.9 KB · Views: 24

Dilvan Jothi

Dec 23, 2013
Visit site
Might i suggest greenify? It hibernates applications when not in use, so they dont use up battery and ram. The grenified applicationz will work as if normal. Plus u can still recive notifocations too, (not sure but i think this is pro ver). Really useful.

Posted via the Android Central App

fantom305

May 21, 2011
Visit site

You sound like a person that would benefit from using the battery saving app such as 'greenify'. If you have no idea which app to disable, an app like greenify can do the task for you, lots of people sware by it. I've never used greenify app, but I too have an issue with my battery life. My solution is to use an app call 'deep sleep battery saver pro', which puts my phone into the deep sleep state whenever it's not being used. Which helps conserve the energy, since the display is one of the biggest battery drainer. Also, a good quality battery such as 'zerolemon' brand, helps extending the battery's life too.

You sound like a person that would benefit from using the battery saving app such as 'greenify'.
What I don't understand is ...why some one would go to a third party app to save battery when android has a power saver and ultra power saver ....

hawkwind212

May 19, 2013
Visit site

Because third party app does a better job? Else may be that person doesn't have or heard of android's power saver and ultra power saver? I sure haven't, then again, I don't use battery saver.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tivativa